Just Got Homelite XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone bought chain and had it not sit down into the gear on the end of the bar? I bought 2 different 3/8 0.050 chains and both wouldnt sit down into the gear at the end. They look fine on the clutch gear and even fit the channel in the bar. But at the end of the bar the links like stand up on the gear. Just to see if it was a bad bar or not, I tried it both on my 14 inch bar from a homelite xl2 I just bought and also on the new 16 inch bar I bought off ebay....

Has anyone bought chain and had it not sit down into the gear on the end of the bar? I bought 2 different 3/8 0.050 chains and both wouldnt sit down into the gear at the end. They look fine on the clutch gear and even fit the channel in the bar. But at the end of the bar the links like stand up on the gear. Just to see if it was a bad bar or not, I tried it both on my 14 inch bar from a homelite xl2 I just bought and also on the new 16 inch bar I bought off ebay....
It's probably not bad but I think it is the wrong size bar for your chain..everything has to match, bar, chain and engine sprocket. If it stands up but works on the engine sprocket then the bar is maybe a .325 instead of a 3/8. It should say on the bar what it is, back toward the rear.

Post a picture of that please. The tie straps shouldn't contact the nose but maybe 2 mm out. Otherwise you have the wrong pitch.

Im pretty sure it is. It says 16 32 043 g4, so im guessing thats 043 chain... Funny Part is the chain thats on my XL2 fits on that bar. Can my saw run both kinds of chain 050 and 043?

Im pretty sure it is. It says 16 32 043 g4, so im guessing thats 043 chain... Funny Part is the chain thats on my XL2 fits on that bar. Can my saw run both kinds of chain 050 and 043?
No. Can you post a pic? Everything has to match. This the bar you got from eBay where the seller only gave a part#? ( just as I suspected) 16 is the length of bar, 32 is the pitch ( .325). Should be another number that shows the gauge. The "G" is the revision. ( how many times the bar has been revised since they were introduced). 4 is the mount pattern. ( what saws it will fit) I'm not sure what the 043 is. Homelite didn't make any saws that took .043 gauge.

He didn't give a part number just said it fits Homelite XL, XL2, and Super 2.

Attachments

• 20170405_192748.jpg
    968.4 KB · Views: 3
The bar number as written PT16321G4. PT - power tip sprocket, 16-length of bar, 32-pitch of bar (since it is a sprocket nose) 1- .050 gauge. G- revision, 4-mount pattern. To bad seller didn't include that pic in their listing.
Did it come with a chain?

No it was just the bar. So I went and bought the proper chain for the saw not the one for the bar.

I think I'm just going to give up and buy an Oregon bar. I can't find a homelite bar on ebay the says the size.

I think I'm just going to give up and buy an Oregon bar. I can't find a homelite bar on ebay the says the size.
I've never seen anything on the XL, XL2 or Super 2 but a 3/8LP 050. I've owned about 2 dozen of them or more. It's very possible that some of the owners might have changed them to something else..

I've never seen anything on the XL, XL2 or Super 2 but a 3/8LP 050. I've owned about 2 dozen of them or more. It's very possible that some of the owners might have changed them to something else..
Homelite 240's and 245's also use the 4 mount bar. Early models were 3/8 lo pro chain, later models used .325 chain.

None of my xl variants use the .325, all have the 3/8 low profile. I have tried Stihl PM3, PS, and the awful looking Oregon 91vg low kickback.
The pm3 would be my first choice for these saws, the Stihl chains usually have better steel than the Oregon. I like to use the PS full chisel chain when the saw has enough power to handle it, cuts faster than the semi chisel.
I just tried out a new Oregon bar/chain combo that came with the 91vg chain today. I was pleasantly surprised, the little 26cc saw made it through 9" of scrub oak without too much fuss. The combo was on sale at a local outfit for $20 CDN, so I can't complain too much with the results.

Latest posts

Back