just installed new stainless steel flue liner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raktym

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, just installed 6 inch stainless steel flexable flue liner in my 7" X 13" masonry chimney flue. Wow, what a differance.
I have a Lopi insert that I've been using since 1985. When I installed it I just pushed it into the fireplace and lit it and have burned in it ever since. Never had a problem until about a month ago. I looked at the chimney flue and notice some vertical cracks in the masonry liner near the top of the chimney. So, I ordered the new flue and installed it. I can no longer burn the way I used to. The stove will get too hot. I used to load the stove up and let it burn and never had a problem with overheating, the top of the stove seldom got over 700 degrees. Now I keep the draft almost completely closed and fill with less wood. The heat output is great. Ive been burning now about a month and checked the flue and it has a very light coat of black dust on it, so I guess it's working ok. :)

Just wondering how hard it was to get down the chimney? hooking up to insert, and install.

Just wondering how hard it was to get down the chimney? hooking up to insert, and install.

Not too tough. Had to force it down do to the mortar protruding from the masonry liner joints. Also had to remove the fireplace damper and a few bricks. My son made an adapter for the top of the stove. I tried to attachment photos but I'm not having any luck. I'll try again later.

So the next time somebody is told by the heating man "you need a liner" they can read this right? We don't rob people you know:)

Did you insulate the liner?

No, I didn't insulate. there wasn't enough room. I was a little concerned but I had no problems with creosote build up or draft. My chimney is in the center of the house. I get about a quart of creosote when I brush it, mostly at the top.

what do you mean by insulate the liner ?

A insulating sleeve/wrap that covers covers the length of the liner from insert to top of the chimney.

On the face of it, the "insulating a liner" statement is deceptive. Most people think 'insulating' will allow more btu's into your living space - not exactly true.

Insulating a liner serves two purposes:

1. Modern EPA stoves emit lower exhaust temps up the flue. Traditionally, lower exhaust = better conditions for creosote formation normally near the top of the flue. Insulating the flue keeps temps more equal throughout the flue = less probability for creosote formation near the top.

2. Insulating a liner in an existing home installation creates another fire barrier inside your existing clay tile/brick/etc. flue because there will be less heat transferred through the wall of the chimney to nearby framing and combustible material

The original installation Raktym described ("When I installed it I just pushed it into the fireplace....") is sometimes referred to as a 'slammer' install.

Raktym: The wood efficiency improvements and your burn times are directly related to the usable square inches of draft from your original chimney versus your new 6" liner. Effectively, you were blowing heat out - versus now you are burning more efficient.

Here's a chart to show the draft improvements raktym made by installing a liner:
Chimney And Fireplace Sizing - A Discussion Enjoy your improvement! :)

Shari

Latest posts

Back