Just Need to watch my language in thread titles a Little More

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
View attachment 199474View attachment 199473View attachment 199473I had a post on here about two months ago asking for help on how to cut up a huge oak stump with a 20 inch bar saw. Got a lot of responses and did actually get some wood hacked off of it. Anyway in that thread I said that I had a lot of people offer me free soft firewood but did not have oak falling into my lap every day which is why I wanted to tackle that big oak stump log. Well the wood gods heard me complain I guess because the first of this week I got a call from a friend that said it might be in my best interest to stop and talk to his neighbor. The electric company was taking out some trees in front of his neighbors place on the right of way and told me there was maybe 3 or 4 loads of ash wood for the taking. Within my hauling distance (7 miles from my house) so I road trip up there and do in deed end up with some firewood. To make a long story short 12 trailer loads later I have one heck of a pile of red oak setting at my house for future use. The pile outside was what I could lift and throw into the trailer and what is in the building is one really long day of splitting on site of the bigger logs. Pretty much got all that I could with the exception of 5 or 6 really big logs that I did not mess with. The sad thing is the contracted wood crew comes in tomorrow morning and disposes of anything that I left behind. Everything laying on the ground with no branches and cut anywhere from 4 foot to 12 foot lengths what more could you ask for. The biggest question I have now is weather to split those bigger chunks (a lot of them are volleyball size or a little smaller) in the outside pile or leave them whole for my ODW. It seems that the board is pretty evenly divided as to split or not to spit when this question comes up. To sum it up it has been a very good firewood week in north central Iowa.
View attachment 199473View attachment 199474

Last edited:
Im in the split em smaller group. Anything over 8" gets split at least once. Easer to load in my OWB, and I can really stack em in there if I need to. Plus the splits dry out quicker.

I have droped some dead stuff that I didnt bother to split cause I was too lazy to drag the splitter out...lol

Congrats on your score!

I'm in the split everything camp; but for oak, I'll split full rounds as small as 3". Not only will it dry faster, but dry wood is less likely to attract wood loving bugs.

And if you want the rest of it, maybe try to intercept the utility crew to tell them that they can dump it in your yard. A utility crew is probably less likely to take you up on the offer than a smaller local tree service, but it may just work. Besides, having open grassy areas on your yard is overrated. :D

Last edited:
You are kidding me right? The word used in my original title thread was in no way, shape, or form offensive in the context I used it in. Then to top it off change my title to that, well that is just dandy. (Is DANDY OK to use?) If in your sheltered world you have a problem with that word more power to you and may all your days be bright and sunny and may it never rain on your PC parade.;)

werdz

I've gotten hit with the autocensor before and ya, surprising what it flags. I don't remember your exact original title, but I also don't remember reading anything nasty either..hmmm

Oh well, free forum, sometimes things get flagged. Had my mystery critter thread moved, I understand why.

I season my wood two years so it's nice and dry. Also this allows me to split the pieces so they are big. As long as I can get it in the wood stove that is small enough. This gets me longer burn times.

228909_Is_this_real_life.jpg

Back