Just roached a new Meteor cylinder on my Husky 395, ticked off.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do they get away with this? All two stroke oil I've purchased always read "Follow manufacturer's recommendations carefully".

The only company which has guidelines on oil mixture is Motul, and only on some ancient Villiers engines, which they recommend should be run at 4% instead than at the originally specified 6%. Oils have changed a bit in the meantime.
For the rest is "Follow manufacturer's recommendations carefully".

The leanest oil/fuel mixture I've seen recommended is 0.9% by Ossa on their FI dirt bike engines, which I suspect is the bare minimum they could go to keep emissions low without compromising reliability. But on a chainsaw? Never go under 2%.

I don't think I would ever brake one in on 100:1. I do have 2 pieces running 100:1 right now as a torture test and they are doing well. Note that they were at 32:1 before so they had the cases oiled up well. They have ran several gallons of fuel this way. A fresh top end needs some oil to deal with all of the extra heat of brake in.

I'm with Mattyo on this
Did you ever figure out why you roached the first top end?
You need to do this before you disassemble the saw. Double check your bearings as well.
I would also go with OEM top ends since they dropped the price, check with some of the dealers on this site like Terry Landrum Or Spike60.
This turned into a oil thread quickly. My 2 cents is run 40:1 what ever oil you want. I have used Opti-oil for years on other equipment and had no issue, but never had peace of mind. I use Stihl 2.5gal mix with 2 gallons of gas.

I agree completely with it needing cleared of health issues before ever trying such a lean mix as 100:1. Now I will be really interested to see if it does have a air leak. What did the last top end failure look like? Did it run 100:1 on last failure? Let's see some pictures. Also how long did it run with the new top end?

if there's no damage on the exhaust side it wasn't from your mix. something was pulled into the intake or installation problem.

I was kind of thinking this as well, strange that it smeared on the intake side and not on the exhaust side. I'd set aside oil related thoughts for now.

My KTM 125 dirt bike recommend Motorex oil. Motorex oil bottle says up to 100:1 ratio. Ktm says use that oil at 40:1 so that's what it gets[emoji851][emoji10]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most important thing when fixing your saw is knowing the basics, proper oil to gas ratio, knowing what a properly tuned saw sounds like, and knowing when to shut it down because it's about to blow up. These things come with experience, I. E. making mistakes, and spending your hard earned money on parts and your time tinkering with your saw. Just slapping a new top end on without finding the reason for the first failure will give you said experience.

Latest posts

Back