Just scorded a used 3120.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ran3465

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The previous owner thought it would be a great idea to paint it with spray paint. The whole thing, EVERTHING, but the cylinder, flywheel, pull rope and id tags. Any one else delt with one of these? What worked, what didnt?...Suggestions? The bad part is the saw is in pretty good shape and would have looked much better if he had left his #### skinners off of it.

The previous owner thought it would be a great idea to paint it with spray paint. The whole thing, EVERTHING, but the cylinder, flywheel, pull rope and id tags. Any one else delt with one of these? What worked, what didnt?...Suggestions? The bad part is the saw is in pretty good shape and would have looked much better if he had left his #### skinners off of it.

first of all, congrats on a bad ass saw. 2ndly, how bad does it actually look, do you have to repaint it? Thirdly, you can't just describe a saw like this and then not show any pics.....

:clap:Nice SCORE!!!!!!!!!:clap:
You won't be disappointed!
As for the corn broom paint job?
On ebay there is Husqvarna orange paint?
Or better yet, get a clean husky and have a paint shop mix a small batch for you to respray! Might actually get lucky and just clean off the old paint?
Either way, you got a beast of a saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ill get a pic up tomorrow. Im still laughing about the cornbroom paint job! It looks as if they took their time, taped off important stuff and fogged it. The bad looks come from the now present scratches showing a different shade of orange underneath. I am stoked about the saw its a 1994, so its got the black 12000rpm coil in it. just trying to getter cleand up so i can go through her.
andy

TIME!!!!! LOL

I don't know? especially with it being plastic! As much as the plastic costs, hate to screw up! A automotive guy should know(?), with most new cars having plastic this and that?

A 1994! Sounds better each time you tell us about it!

OOOOOOOH it's on!!!!!!!!!!

I call a all stock class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"help me Tom Cruise"

i'd try naptha/coleman fuel first.

acetone on metal only, it makes plastic go soft really quickly.

brake fluid might work too.

just test different things out on the high-wear or outta sight areas. a lot of patience and toothpics and q-tips and toofbrushes.

congrats, now clean the darn thing up.

Brake fluid

Brake fluid will work. I used to work with a guy that would buy really ugly color model train engines really cheep. Then he'd strip the paint with brake fluid and repaint them and sell them.

Regards

Dan

When I got my stihl fs 450 brush cutter it was in great shape except for the fact that half of it was spray painted green. Apparently the guy spray painted all his equipment half green to remind him to use mixed gas. I couldn't really understand why you couldn't just put a little red dot by the gas or something.

Anyways, overspill/drips from filling gasoline have removed much of it, or at least loosen it to the point that you can take it off with your fingernail.

I would definitely look to remove as much as possible before you repainted.

stilh boy im not going to jail, if i bring saw to your house it will eat half of them, then go after your mom. And i dont want to be responsible for that.

right.........

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7VPAIgia-M&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7VPAIgia-M&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

I don’t mean to sound like a wet blanket but spray painted saws are usually hotter than the proverbial three dollar shotgun. I would avoid spray painted anything like the plague. Hope you got a receipt.

Its doubt it is stolen, the previous owner was an old menonite man. He said that it was painted due to it being faded. He just had it in the shop in July and had a new coil installed. This fall it wouldnt start again. I bought as non running for 80.00, Compression is low. Piston is scuffed up. Any one use the aftermarket piston and cylinder kit for a 3120 from Baileys? Ive got a 6401BB and I thought the quality was great, and was wondering if the 3120 was from the same supplier.

Automotive rubbing compound mixed with enamel paint reducer on a rag + lots of elbow grease. Get several levels of grit compound. Bug and tar remover might do some good in spots. Take care with the harsh solvents.

I wouldn't repaint the saw either, at least not the plastic. It might look a a little dull and discolored.

Congrats.

Back