K&N air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00 steve

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I found a K&N air filter that is for stihl saws (E-4250). The only saw that K&N lists for it is the 084. I thought from the 044 up, ( Stihl 044, 046, 064, 066, 084, 088, MS 440, MS 441, MS 460, MS 640, MS 650, MS 660, MS 780, MS 880),
they use the same filter. has anyone tried one of these filters?
http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=E-4250

Last edited:
I guess what I wanted to know is if anyone has tried this filter on anything other than a 084.

I havent, but that is a good looking filter, look's like a Stihl HD filter. I do have friend's that have ran the round K&N type on 66's with good luck. Some of the Aussies have tested alot of filter's, and methods, and some had said the K&N was not all it was cracked up to be. I was alway's curious the filtration quality. I have never tried one. The thread was aussie red gum from hell I think. Just thought I would bring it up since it was, a air filter thread good. It was a good read, and educational. But the filter you posted the pic of, look's top notch. Norm..........

In general I think K&N makes a quality product, but have never used one on a a saw. Used one on a autos & ATVs. Like the ease of cleaning

dw

I thought about trying one of them. They should work good if you can go all day without nothing more than tapping the filter out.

K&N ---------------------------------------------OEM
Height: 1.625 in (41 mm)------------------------1.695
Inside Length: 2.813 in (71 mm)-----------------3.476
Inside Width: 1.813 in (46 mm)------------------2.486
Outside Length: 4.063 in (103 mm)--------------4.060
Outside Width: 3.063 in (78 mm)----------------3.074

I just pulled out the calipers on my hd filter and the numbers seem pretty close. I attribute the internal dimensions to the filter medium thickness. The height is the only dimension that concerns me right now. I guess I'm still kicking it around. looks like $28.99 to the door.

Last edited:
I know a cutter on the west coast was using one on his 660. He seemed to like it pretty good. I just don't really like oiled filters.

If I remember right its got a pice kinda like the max flow to hold it down. I need an air filter for the 066 i've got. I might pick one up and see how it does.

If you cut a lot you won't want to throw out the old filter. I have the K&N for my car. Cleaning, drying, oiling and dripping of the filter takes about 2 days. I swap in the OEM filter when doing this. I've been happy with the K&N. I can't speak to the performance increase but the reusable filter has saved me a lot of money on disposable air filters over the last 6 or 7 yrs.

One thing I have noticed about K&N is the rubber is very supple and has stayed that way for 6+ yrs. If the same material is used on the saw filters I think you will get a great seal with mating components compared to some of the stiffer filters out there.

Okay, so first let me acknowledge that 4.5 years is a long time since the last post, but I was googling info about the K&N E-4250 filter and found this thread.

Speaking to the K&N filters, I know they're a poor choice for Ford 7.3 Power Strokes. Many 7.3 owners have spoken out about how running the K&N filter is associated with turbo compressor blades being "dusted", meaning the leading edges of the blades show visual signs of etching and damage from contacting debris in the stream of intake air. This would lead one to think the efficiency of the K&N is less than a quality paper filter.

Is it valid to compare a 4-stroke, liquid cooled, directing injection, turbo charged, intercooled, diesel V-8 to a 2-stroke, air cooled, carbureted, naturally aspirated, gasoline single cylinder? Maybe not.

Yes the K&N should work with any saw that utilizes the standard HD filter. IMHO, they're not a good choice. I rolls only run one in combination with an Outerwear. Even then, they are much more difficult to clean and maintain than a dry filter. I'd much rather run a HD2.

I've been using them in trucks for close to 20yrs. They aren't hard to maintain. That's user error. They should work fine on a saw too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Back