Keep in the back of your mind on a MS311

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had one come in this morning. "want start" on the ticket.
Turns out it did not have any fire. A little rare actually.
So, I put a new ignition module on it . Still no fire. Disconnected the kill wire. Still no fire.

Guess what. There are two different ignitions for those saws.
One for the rectangle air filter vintage. Another for the round air filter.
Now, I would have thought it would fire some time even if wrong time . But, no.

So, I put the correct module on and off she went. I thought Stihl had quit doing that stuff.
Oh well. 11404001303 for the rectangle. 11404001307 for the round .

BTW, those white sheets of paper on those boxes that you throw away. Sometimes it is good to read them.

And, you might find the first version NLA. Just tried to order one. Not in the price book. Checked with Northeast Stihl. Yep, over ten years old, NLA.
So, who has a replacement for it? Somebody on here has done it.

And, you might find the first version NLA. Just tried to order one. Not in the price book. Checked with Northeast Stihl. Yep, over ten years old, NLA.
So, who has a replacement for it? Somebody on here has done it.
Thats what concerns me with the likes of m-tronic & fuel injection. No doubt in my mind they offer superior performance, but long term serviceability raises a whole bunch of questions

Thats what concerns me with the likes of m-tronic & fuel injection. No doubt in my mind they offer superior performance, but long term serviceability raises a whole bunch of questions
Can happen to every saw. Got a 133, 238, 42, 242, 246 Husqvarna? PTO side bearings are NLA for a while now.

We car guys went through this in the 1980s with older car guys. By 1996 all the issues had been fixed. Would they, after some decades of moaning, go back to carbs over injection?

Ask their wives and girlfriends. Won't matter if they own a car, a bike or truck.
Case closed.
Move on.

Back