Keeping smoke off the stove windows

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilson225

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a buck stove 2700 with glass doors. I can clean the windows with oven cleaner but they tend to smoke right up again after 12 to 24 hours. Anybody have a tips to keep them cleaner longer? Thanks

Burn alittle hotter. Keep the wood in the back . I use 000 steel wool to clean the glass ,works great.

I don't have the same stove as you but running it hotter and wide open rather than choking it with the damper keeps mine clean. The only time I really get a build up is when I choke it down at night, or if a piece gets too close to the glass. I used to clean it all the time, almost every morning. Over the years I have found just running it with dry wood wide open is most efficient and will burn most of it off during the course of the day.
They make wood stove glass cleaner. An old timer showed me if you spray it on the glass, then a bit on newspaper and dip it in some cool ash from the fireplace it actually acts as a grit for lack of a better term and can clean some of the heavier stuff off the glass.
This is for my stove though they all can be a little different. Every year I get a little better at burning wood in my stove.

Some stoves are designed such that they smoke up the glass almost whatever you do.

Smoldering fires will smoke up almost stove's glass. Moist wood will too.

I can go months without having to clean the glass.

Jotul F600CB secondary.jpg

I don't fuss with the glass on my stove, it stays fairly clean. Doesn't really bother me, the stove heats the house and nothing more though.

wet paper towel dipped in the ashes cleans the glass pretty well. Wipe down with a dry cloth and dispose of both in the stove.

My glass gets dirty on start up if i close the door too quickly. I just close the door slowly so that the glass can come up to temperature before closing it.

Hmmm... wood stove here, only source of heat so it burns non-stop all winter pretty much. My stove is a Lopi from the 80s, dual door with windows known to not be exactly that great compared to newer single door models and sometimes they'll black out but the next morning when I load her up and let it run hot they clean up just fine. They never stay crystal clear and I don't stress about that the stove is a tool and it's gonna be getting dirty :) :)

Try to run it hot for 10-15m every morning and it will self clean, if you let it build up too much you will have to clean it by hand and that's no fun ;)

This also helps keep the chimney clean, we barely clean out a cup or two of black soot after a winter.

Don't shut down the vents, etc.. too when it's still warming up the wood / before you have some nice hot coals. Also, as was mentioned some stoves swirl the air up the front out and up so it may be impossible to prevent it from occurring completely too.

Mine rarely gets dirty, give a quick wipe every couple weeks with a damp paper towel and the wood ash. Fire always looks nice after cleaning.

I know some stoves even if being burned correctly will smoke the glass. On stoves like our Jotul F600CB if the glass is getting smoky it's a sign that it is not being run optimally. I find that being able to see the fire makes it a lot easier to run the stove. For instance if the fire doesn't get off to a good start it is obvious. If the flames are moving around real rapidly it is a sign that the air should be reduced some. Slow dancing flames and secondary combustion are a sign that the stove is running at it's highest efficiency possible.

The condition of the glass will tell you if you are running your stove efficiently and /or if your wood is to wet. Use it as a tell....

greenskeeper has the best answer for cleaning.. Wet paper towel dipped in some of the ash in the firebox takes everything off the glass without scratching it.

my glass gets smokey and clears up in cycles, depending on how I burn it for the amount of heat I need. paper towel and some water, ashes mixed in to get the black stuff off works great. I have an osburn 2200 with a large viewing area and I only have to clean it occasionally.

Some stoves are designed such that they smoke up the glass almost whatever you do.

I have had the same stove as the original poster for about 30 years, and I have always had the problem of the glass smoking up. If I really fire it almost too much, the glass will clear, but the temperature in my front room will be in the upper 80s! Most of the time, I'm running it with the fan running on medium, and that works good for me, but the glass still smokes up...

Latest posts

Back