Keeping warm "out there"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just wondering what you people wear to keep warm in this extra cold winter. we are gonna have temps in the teens the next week. i know thats not cold for some of you but i don't mind it. i start out with expedition weight long underwear then a heavy flannel shirt and insulated carhartt's.outerwear is a hoodshirt and artic carhartt coat.hat and gloves of course. what does anyone think of under armour long underwear? seemed a little pricey to me but if it keeps ya warm i guess it's worth it.

Under Armour is worth it's price. I have the long johns from them and really like them. Then I wear insulated blue jeans, 2 pair of socks, T-shirt an insulated flannel shirt and then my carhart jacket over that. An Elmer Fudd hat for the head. Normal winter work gloves. I keep one pair inside my jacket and when my hands get cold, I switch with the ones that have been against my body. Works for a while even in -20's like yesterday, but if you are splitting the hands get cold kinda quick regardless.

Ted

Last edited:
Same here - a few layers with insulated outerwear including Lacrosse Iceman boots and a bomber pilot hat with ear flaps. For a quick run to refill the OWB it's Carhartt pants and a ratty old denim coat instead of the full outerwear.

Some type of wicking base layer (polypro, etc...) makes a big difference for me when working up a sweat in the cold.

Also, chopper mittens with thin glove liners. This is only if the activity allows for the limited dexterity of mittens.

Marino wool for the first layer. Wool socks. Filson wool pants. Wool shirt, sweater and vest. Wool hat. Oil skin jacket if I'm working, wool if I'm hunting. Insulated steel toe boots with gators to keep the pants dry below the knee. Thinsulate gloves. I can usually ditch the coat and vest after 10 or 15 minutes of activity. I wear this stuff from 0*c down to -25*c. Anything colder than that and I'd rather sit in front of the wood stove.
I sure hope the weather improves for some of you out east. It seams every time I watch the snews this winter you're getting hammered with another weather event.
Take care.

By-the-way, many people "bothered" by standard wool won't be "bothered" by wearing the higher quality wool (read, more expensive) such as Merino wool.
The "better" wool is softer, smaller diameter, and has more "crimp"... much less likely to "poke" the skin.
This time of year I wear Merino wool socks daily... no liner of any sort against the skin.

Sweatpants under whatever cammies I am wearing, extra pair of socks or even three pair total, my regular muck kicking rubber boots, two grades of gloves, thin or thicker, the cotton dipped in rubber for the fingers and palm style. Either a stocking cap or my Floyd R. Turbo hat with ear muffs that snap down. Will be wearing that hat today, cold for down here. Either one or two sweatshirts, then an army jacket.

I dig lotsa pockets, I like carrying all sorts of things with me for some reason.

Those Filson pants are friggin' awesome‼ Ultra tough, ultra warm, and quiet as a church mouse.
But they ain't cheap...
Life is far to short for cheap wine.
:)PRICE
There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make
a little worse and sell a little cheaper;
and the people who consider
price only are this mans lawful prey.
(John Ruskin, 1882):)

I used to wear the German Army wool pants that could be purchased for cheap at surplus stores here in our country. Those pants were tough and standard wear in the woods. I do not know if they still make and import them. If you can find them, get them. They've got pockets...lots of pockets and some have suspender buttons.

Wool, even merino wool, makes me break out a bit. I can wear wool socks for a while. So, for me it is poly what ever. I love poly fleece. The Wisconsin Walmarche had some heavy duty fleece longjohns, that worked well. I have a cold weather tolerant body so I wear layers. I can shed layers and do so even at -20 if I'm moving. Snowshoeing, which was necessary to get work done will heat one up.

I like the gloves with the fingertips exposed that have mitten flaps that can be folded or unfolded over the fingers. That way you don't have to shed them to write, or reverse the plugged tip on your paint gun (tree marking) or put more staples in the staple hammer.

A heavy coat is only good for standing or sitting around, or (and this isn't a problem in the mideast) trudging back down a long slope after trudging up it. Layers are the thing to wear. Keep your feet warm and dry. I like the thinsulite boots. They come in different weights of thinsulite. They are less bulky than the Sorel pack boots. They are lighter too, so you can move quicker to stay warm.

I bet all that stuff is sold out by now. One needs to shop for it in October instead of waiting for the cold snap. Winter happens, except it hasn't done much in the PNW this year.

If I do anything other than standing motionless, I get warm in just about all weather. Wood chopping in the twenties and upper teens was regular t-shirt weather. That said, thin layers have always been the ticket for me. I love lightweight Merino wool since I can stack it up without bulk and fine tune my temp needs. Having a tight, base layer under armour style t helps on the coldest days and doesn't add bulk in my arms for movement.

Always carhart bibs and various layers underneath...wool or fleece. Carhart coat to take on or off as needed. If it's real cold Mickey Mouse boots and a stormy kromer hat.

Sent via mental telepathy

Merino Wool feels like cotton. Wicks moisture away--If it gears wet, you are still warm. I 2nd Filson gear. I have some work coats (tin) that I beat the hell out of and some nice wool coats by them--the wool coats are to nice to wear in the woods and to work in. Dress in layers and don't have any cotton touching your skin. You sweat, then you get cold.

The wind is what puts the "suckness" in the cold weather.

I used to wear the German Army wool pants that could be purchased for cheap at surplus stores here in our country. Those pants were tough and standard wear in the woods. I do not know if they still make and import them. If you can find them, get them. They've got pockets...lots of pockets and some have suspender buttons.

I bought 2 pair---finally worn out the 1st pair (17 years on them) and just started on the 2nd pair. Great pants and no they can't be found anymore. I think they were produced back in the mid 60's til the early 80's but not 100 percent on the production dates.

I wear CarbonX longjohns under my work pants which are a flame and arc flash resistant USA made pant by Steel Grip.

Up top I wear a FrostFire turtleneck undershirt under my work shirt which is a buttonup flame and arc flash resistant USA made shirt also by Steel Grip.

I wear my work clothes home and wear them outside at home as well. Mist of the time I'm also wearing a CarbonX hoodie (balaclava) and that seals the deal.

On the occasion I know I will be spending a lot of time outside I put on a Steel Grip jacked that's also made in the USA and is flame and arc flash resistant. I'll also put on Kevlar sleeves that protect my wrists then a goatskin glove since its rather difficult to do any wiring with thick gloves on. At home I wear insulated gloves.

Latest posts

Back