Kerf bowing with a CS mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello rarefish,
I presume you mean a hand held grinder?
I meant a bench grinder, stihl HOS or USG or the Oregon equivalent.
To accurately hand file all teeth and depth gauges to within 0.05mm is quite a feat.
The use of a bench grinder setup is so much quicker and far more accurate.
Yes, I hand file to touch up every few cuts, but at some point it's going on the grinder.
Yes, it does eat the chain a lot quicker,
but more than makes up by the speed of cut and finish of the board.
No, I mean a good old fashioned round file, with no guide. Am I a pro miller? No. I don't know any pro millers that use a chainsaw mill. I am, a fourth generation licensed and insured Arborist. I've been hand filing chains for 40 years. I also collect Savage model 1899 rifles that were hand filed and fitted, a common practice 100 years ago. Savage quit making the 99 in the 1990's because the hand fitting was too expensive to make a profit. Yet, I can shoot groups with my Pre-WWI rifles that can rival anything that comes off a CNC machine today. It's amazing what the human eye and hand can do when they work together. When you are a hobby miller you don't have any clients per say, so who cares what they want to watch. On the other hand, I've had clients, when removing trees, get their neighbors and watch me free hand a bench. They find it amazing that one can cut a 12/4 slab by hand. It's really not amazing at all, it just takes some practice. You mention speed several times? I'm retired, all I do is fish in the spring and summer, hunt in the fall and winter, and mill in between. To quote a machinist friend of mine, "what's time to a pig?" I could care less how long something takes, I've always got tomorrow, till the good Lord takes me home. I try to walk at least an hour a day. I've got an Oak staff I found in the woods, that I thought would make an interesting walking stick. While walking I take a piece of sand paper and polish the staff, it may take a year to finish. But that's quicker than my original plan of hand rubbing it till smooth, I was getting blisters, my hands are getting soft since retiring. When I was in business, I tried to teach the young guys that "time is money". Now that I'm retired and getting old, I've realized that all that money, won't buy me any more time. The true wealth in life is how many friends you have, and lives you've touched.

So, welcome to the site. Teach us old guys some new tricks. We will try to teach you some old ones.

Cheers, Joe.

Joe you're right. It can be done.
You sound like one of the few people left who can.
After 40 years practice.
When you're retired/got time.
I have a family to feed from my wood business though.
If I ever get to retire I'll be ditching the saws and using an axe and wedges.
Saul

Sual, it's all perspective. I'm also into old cars. A couple years ago I sold my 58 English Ford Zodiac. I've always wanted an AC Bristol. But, I'm not ready to break out the wooden bucks and hand hammer the aluminium panels into one. Cheers, Joe.

Ha ha!
Joe you should really meet my brothers.
They're both into big vintage machinery and cars.
The older the better, now ones looking at getting into steam loco restoration.
Sadly making by hand and eye is a fading skill.
Best pass it on.
Appreciated
Saul

About 25 years ago a friend bought a giant steam tractor that was used to pull a calliope, before a circus, all across Europe. He shipped it back to the States to pull a calliope he restored. Before he got the steam engine, he had the calliope hooked up to some kind of big air pump. You could easily hear it 5 miles away. Stuff like that is so far out of my price range I don't even think about it, Joe.

Latest posts

Back