Kill Box Elder w/o Roundup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarkbug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello All.

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but I wanted to ask some of the arborist people on this site.

My wife and I bought a house last year, and it hasnt been lived in for several years. The gentleman that owned it was an elderly man, and as a result couldnt keep up very well with all of the outdoor landscaping. One of the biggest problems is that there are a ton of Box Elder trees, and some are in pretty bad shape. Im intending to cut them down this year for a bonfire, but the bigger problem is some of the stumps. Its pretty clear that this isnt a new problem, as there are several stumps that have the suckers growing out of them still, and it looks like they wont stop.

is there a good way to kill these trees once and for all without using roundup on them? I would like to avoid using anything that toxic if possible, but I dont know what else would work other than trying to prune them back on an almost weekly basis.

Any ideas?

Cut 'em at ground level and paint he 'stumps' with 42% Glyphosate (RoundUp or generic). Use a paintbrush or trigger sprayer.

I've used this cut&paint method on many types of notorious-to-sucker trees (Melaleuca, Schinus terebinthifolius or Florida holly, black locust) and it does work.

Thanks very much for all the quick replies! I just want these things to stop taking over my yard/house/garage/fence.

I pull them up by the roots with my skidsteer and then keep the area mowed to stop any new growth. It's very satisfying pulling box elder up by the roots!

cover with a opaque tarp, plants need sunlight to grow, can only remain "dormant" for so long before they die

Thank you for all the replies and ideas everyone.

I may have to just go with the cut down then grind approach. I have enough stumps that someone around me will hopefully be willing to give me a deal if I have enough of them that they can just grind away for an afternoon.

I throw my vote in with grind.
If any boxelders are supposed to remain, they may be root grafted to the stumps and therefore poisoned. Even if remaining trees are scheduled for removal they may be compromised and made dangerous before the jobs are completed.

cut them off, then use a piece of copper wire around the stump tighten until its under the bark... also can use salt on stumps to hasten the rotting.dish the top of the stump and fill it with salt.
can do both for good measure..

Grinding would bring a sweet sense of satisfaction after having to deal with all of the suckers and dropper branches and box elder beetles...

Thank you everyone for all of the tips. I definitely have some good ways to approach things now for this spring.

cut them off, then use a piece of copper wire around the stump tighten until its under the bark... also can use salt on stumps to hasten the rotting.dish the top of the stump and fill it with salt.
can do both for good measure..

Not trying to be critical...but that sounds like insanity. Cut the stump short enough, and you won't be able to wrap a wire around it. Besides, I've seen too many nursery-trees that were choked off with the guy wires, and that didn't kill them.

High salt concentrations will kill the decay organisms that will make the stump go away. If you want a stump to go away faster, drill holes in it and cover with a mixture of dirt and fertilizer.

The salt will do a nice job of killing the stump, though.

Latest posts

Back