Killed my Dolmar 5100S??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mister Twister

Mister Twister

ArboristSite Operative
Sad story here for Dolmar. A guy has a problem with a 5100 and now we are uncovering more of a universal problem with the 5100 as Andyshine was hinting at. Looks like more sales for the 346xp and ms260 after AS members read this and back away from the 5100. Hopefully Dolmar can remedy the problem. I hate to see them fade away because of a few problems and bad dealers. My dolmar dealer has no previous 2-stroke experience (hardware store), so I hope he isn't just handing the saws out without checking the RPM's. Seems it might be a little to easy to land a dealership right now.......

It must be an Ohio thing cause here in Upstate New York we are not having problems with the 5100 saws. My dealer has not had a one back yet for a blow up. I bet if you go closer to the city you might see some. In order for any saw to operate good and have a long life you need to understand a two stroke motors and not just run it lean to it's death ! That doesn't matter what brand it is. That's why this thread turned to brand loyalty and not facts as they all do. I am not loyal to no brand and want one of each to see which traits I like best. Have fun bashing if you must but non biased people will see through bull and still buy Dolmars because they are good saws.

spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sounds like the news media, Steve

Sounds more like the Salem witch trials.

A saw blows up and there is talk of a "universal problem". Universal is a mighty strong word, as it caries the implication that there is something wrong with all 5100's. The 5100, like most new designs, from all OEM's, is not immune to some teething problems. There are some areas that can be improved on the intake side, and I'm sure Dolmar will address them, as everybody else does.

For the record, all of the popular Huskys, have had improvements/changes to their intake systems since their introductions. The changes were improvements to intake boot clamps, partition wall and intake block materials, and such. That's why there are such things as service bulletins. I'm sure a Stihl dealer would say the same thing. I'd bet that there isn't a saw out there that doesn't have a few service bulletins on it.

You also need to keep in mind that in most cases, these improvements are to address a very small failure %. There are thousands of earlier saws, that never received the updates, yet never experience the problem. So, don't spook yourself into thinking that it's just a matter of time until your 5100 blows up.

My personal experience: We have only had one 5100 failure. The throttle plate came loose and got sucked into the saw and tore it up. This isn't something that you could blame on Dolmar; the blame should really fall on Zama. But, never the less, Dolmar warrantied the saw. The only issue that I see on some Dolmars is that you should keep an eye on the carb screws being tight, as they can loosen up. I have a 2 year old 7300 in the shop that toasted itself for that reason.

This thread has gotten a bit carried away with itself to the point that some people are afraid to buy a Dolmar. That's both unfair and unreasonable.

Last edited:
Fastcast

Fastcast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sounds more like the Salem witch trials.

A saw blows up and there is talk of a "universal problem". Universal is a mighty strong word, as it caries the implication that there is something wrong with all 5100's. The 5100, like most new designs, from all OEM's, is not immune to some teething problems. There are some areas that can be improved on the intake side, and Ii'm sure Dolmar will address them, as everybody else does.

For the record, all of the popular Huskys, have had improvements/changes to their intake systems since their introductions. The changes were improvements to intake boot clamps, partition wall and intake block materials, and such. That's why there are such things as service bulletins. I'm sure a Stihl dealer would say the same thing. I'd bet that there isn't a saw out there that doesnt't a few service bulletins on it.

You also need to keep in mind that in most cases, these improvements are to address a very small failure %. There are thousands of earlier saws, that never received the updates, yet never experience the problem. So, don't spook yourself into thinking that it's just a matter of time until your 5100 blows up.

My personal experience: We have only had one 5100 failure. The throttle plate came loose and got sucked into the saw and tore it up. This isn't something that you could blame on Dolmar; the blame should really fall on Zama. But, never the less, Dolmar warrantied the saw. The only issue that I see on some Dolmars is that you should keep an eye on the carb screws being tight, as they can loosen up. I have a 2 year old 7300 in the shop that toasted itself for that reason.

This thread has gotten a bit carried away with itself to the point that some people are afraid to buy a Dolmar. That's both unfair and unreasonable.

Good post Spike!.....Especially the highlighted part....I think the poll Brian VT put up, pretty much debunks that 'all 5100s have some inherent problem, that is going to cause catastrophic failure sooner, rather than later'.....As a matter of fact it looks like very few do......

litefoot

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good post Spike!.....Especially the highlighted part....I think the poll Brian VT put up, pretty much debunks that 'all 5100s have some inherent problem, that is going to cause catastrophic failure sooner, rather than later'.....As a matter of fact it looks like very few do......

Nonetheless, the seed of doubt has been planted and, sadly, that's all that matters.

04ultra

04ultra

"Out of Control"
. AS Supporting Member.
I bought a blown up 372 ...........I think that the manufacture should recall them ....

I guess that last years gas had nothing to do with it......That gas had a nasty smell to it ....But lets blame Husky for building a saw that cant take home owner abuse....

Thats the 3rd Husky in a few months that I bought that had that problem......

Forgot ....I bought a couple of Stihls and Dolmars that had the same problem....

Last edited:
Fastcast

Fastcast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nonetheless, the seed of doubt has been planted and, sadly, that's all that matters.

Maybe to an irrational thinker....Way too much praise for the 5100 for one guys blow up and another guys secretive insight to mean anything.

I like AndyS but with that said....I don't want any info on his sources, could care less but what's the big secret about what the so called problem is and why aren't more people on AS that own 5100s having this top secret failure?

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Not trying to be disruptive, but you also have to consider the sources. How many mothers think their babies are ugly? (Woodies mother did ;)).

The number of praisers or disparagers of any model/brand on AS is small relative to the market... How many of any one type have been sold total to all AS members, and what small percentage of those say anything, good or bad? Yes, the most experienced, trusted or loudest voices get noticed, but there's a heck of a lot of guys that just cut wood and are happy, no matter if their saw is 0.03 seconds faster or slower than any other. Reliability and support are far more important to most.

Remember all the the hype about BB kits before they came out? The instant praise, then the "Oh, .. not much better stock than oem..". Now it's kind of "flat"...

And there's the 575, the 441, the 361... etc etc.. Some of these started negative and got better; some started positive and got worse... but in the end they all cut wood and few are unhappy with them.

Like the market, we could plot a "sentiment" indicator, and sell futures based on hype:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector

And there's the 575, the 441, the 361... etc etc.. Some of these started negative and got better; some started positive and got worse... but in the end they all cut wood and few are unhappy with them. ...

Which one went from positive to worse???? :confused: :givebeer:

It can't be the 575 or 361, so.....

Last edited:
Andyshine77
It must be an Ohio thing cause here in Upstate New York we are not having problems with the 5100 saws. My dealer has not had a one back yet for a blow up. I bet if you go closer to the city you might see some. In order for any saw to operate good and have a long life you need to understand a two stroke motors and not just run it lean to it's death ! That doesn't matter what brand it is. That's why this thread turned to brand loyalty and not facts as they all do. I am not loyal to no brand and want one of each to see which traits I like best. Have fun bashing if you must but non biased people will see through bull and still buy Dolmars because they are good saws.

Did you read any of my posts? I'm not brand loyal, and I love the 7900's. It sounds like you're the one who is brand loyal.:cheers:

Look every manufacture has problems, it's just how they deal with them that matters. Dolmar doesn't communicate well with it's dealers, and that is part of the problem. One dealer knows this or that, and the other dealer doesn't know anything at all.

Don't forget some people on this site have a vested interest in one brand or another, and they make their living selling that brand. Just because someone points out a potential problem with one model, doesn't make this thread out of control.

:cheers: Andy.

Latest posts