Killed my Dolmar 5100S??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sure is better with a 16" and .325 (well haven't tried 3/8" yet, but gut feeling say .325 with LP or RSC chain)........

The 346 and 5100 both do just fine with a .325 chain. I see no reason to put a 3/8 chain on either one of them unless its just a personal preferance.

Oh yeah, and I'll keep using my 5100 thank you very much. I know, it's an inferior product, and will shatter like an old cookie next time I use it, but I'm just not worthy of being on Stihl's payroll yet. :) haha
Hear, hear. :cheers:

My 5100 came out of the box running lean, so I set the mix richer. This is SOP on any two-cycle.

The first two gallons of gas were Opti2 mixed as the pillow pack recommended and she ran fine. I didn't like how lean the Opti2 was so when I ran out, I switched over to Bailey's full synthetic (mixed at 45:1) with 93 octane and she's running even better. When I run out of Bailey's I'll probably try some Stihl Ultra, at which point she may run even better still.

Hear, hear. :cheers:

My 5100 came out of the box running lean, so I set the mix richer. This is SOP on any two-cycle.

The first two gallons of gas were Opti2 mixed as the pillow pack recommended and she ran fine. I didn't like how lean the Opti2 was so when I ran out, I switched over to Bailey's full synthetic (mixed at 45:1) with 93 octane and she's running even better. When I run out of Bailey's I'll probably try some Stihl Ultra, at which point she may run even better still.

I think the Optic pillow pack is like a 71:1 mix.....if it's the 1.8 oz pack for 1 gallon of gas.

Last edited:
I called my dealer about a new MS440 2 weeks ago. (we all know they are all but gone) He said "Sure I got 2 in stock!" I said 440 or 441? he said "441 is the same thing, just 1 digit difference and flippy caps" :rolleyes:

that sounds like my dealer :monkey: , are you sure you didn't call him? haha

I have one guy here running amzoil at the100:1 but I set it rich on the carb and it has been fine for over a year now! I in my personal saws use Petron Plus synthetic at 50:1 with no issues!

68 replies, a lot of them belly achin' about an entire brand because one guy had one pop. What happened to the law of averages? Somebody has to get the reject, no matter what flavor! While I don't earn a living in the woods, I grew up on a farm with plenty of time on the trigger of most the major saw brands. I wouldn't hesitate to own (and have owned most of) any of the major brands. That being said my 5 saw stable includes 1 Stihl and 4 Dolmars, 2 of which are PS5100's. Most damn impressive 50cc saw I've ever ran, and that includes the MS260 and 346XP. The 5100 is very much deserving of the praise it has received. It's just as solid as anything else on the market !!!

As the OP with the busted 5100 I'd agree with SwampBuck. My problem was probably using the wrong tool for the job. I'm still going to fix the 5100 for other uses, but my new MS441 should do much better with Osage Orange :)

As the OP with the busted 5100 I'd agree with SwampBuck. My problem was probably using the wrong tool for the job. I'm still going to fix the 5100 for other uses, but my new MS441 should do much better with Osage Orange :)

I think you will be impressed with the 441, especially how clean the air filter stays, and how little fuel it uses. Then theres the power. It will be a fine saw for cutting hedge!

Tuning the saw or a lack of.

The Stihl dealers near me charge $15 to tune the saws. I was told that they should NOT be run out of the box, they will blow up. Set too lean at the factory to pass emissions. Instant $5,000 fine if they don't pass. I am thinking that the saws are just set too lean and the dealers have not richened them up. The new saws can only be richened to the rich side of lean anyhow. Without taking off the limiters. Donny Walker from Walkers Saw shop said that for a while the 660 were all blowing up. Its not that they are bad saws, but that the limiters were set at a CRAZY lean setting. So the old carbs HAD to go in to tune them to a healthy setting.

Dave.

:agree2: :agree2:
Yes the 441 is a great saw in spite of what some "experts" say here.

I can't see E10 being an issue UNLESS the saw was factory tuned on non-alcohol gas and set on the bleeding edge of "too lean", and the user didn't retune when using alcohol. The limiter caps are set (by EPA requirement) so no further enrichment is allowed by the end user. If this is the case, Dolmar needs to wake up to the market reality.

Stihl's have been tuned in VA Beach since Jan 2007 on E10 no matter the market destination, but even on earlier saws, I've seen few issues. I don't see issues with separation or excessively quick gas aging. We tell our customers 60-90 days, and I go way beyond that on some of my saws.

IMHO... E10 is way too easy a target for blame.

Cuttin - That's scary - some dealers shouldn't be allowed to touch a carb, any brand ;)

How can they get EPA approval to do that? Are they shipped to the dealers with limiter caps not set? Pulling the cap and setting them richer busts any EPA approvals (don't get me started on how stupid this is).

The Stihl factory in also Germany uses the specific EPA approved E10 (it's shipped from the USA) to tune saws (200, 441, 460, 660, 880 etc) sent to USA.

I suspect the Dolmars are factory set really lean to meet EPA... and dealers don't adjust them, or don't know how. Every one I've seen (yep, just a handful) are all set way too lean... (as are some small Stihls..)

The Stihl dealers near me charge $15 to tune the saws. I was told that they should NOT be run out of the box, they will blow up. Set too lean at the factory to pass emissions. Instant $5,000 fine if they don't pass. I am thinking that the saws are just set too lean and the dealers have not richened them up. The new saws can only be richened to the rich side of lean anyhow. Without taking off the limiters. Donny Walker from Walkers Saw shop said that for a while the 660 were all blowing up. Its not that they are bad saws, but that the limiters were set at a CRAZY lean setting. So the old carbs HAD to go in to tune them to a healthy setting.

Dave.

:monkey:

Well this has turned out to be a bash dolmar thread! truth is the piston used by dolmar or stihl echo husky poulan etc does not know what brand of saw it is in and a lean condition is not merciful to any brand! I will stack Dolmar up against anyone size for size it is quality as good as anyone out there! However they are not for everyone just like Stihl Echo or Husky etc. is not for everyone! The truth is EPA is hurting saws with the lean conditions being forced on them and the e fuel is making things worse!

Just another reason to run the Aspen alky fuel that is common over here.....:givebeer:

Sure it cost more than pump gas + oil - but it sure is worth it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Which Andy? Oh well, I'm one...

It's because they can... in other words,.. customers keep on buying them.. Maybe it's because they only last 20 years of hard use. lolol

must be a west coast thing cause saws used professionally here on the east coast NEVER make 20 years of hard use........... Now homeowner saws SURE I see planty of mid eighty Dolmars still going strong today Just got done tuning a couple of Sachs Dolmar 123's and some 119's etc. Even a Jonnie 70e with a gummed up carb. I don't see many 20 year old Stihls here on the east side of the USA most I suspect have shaken apart......... Like gas tanks and mufflers on say 041's for example :monkey:

Scott

must be a west coast thing cause saws used professionally here on the east coast NEVER make 20 years of hard use........... Now homeowner saws SURE I see planty of mid eighty Dolmars still going strong today Just got done tuning a couple of Sachs Dolmar 123's and some 119's etc. Even a Jonnie 70e with a gummed up carb. I don't see many 20 year old Stihls here on the east side of the USA most I suspect have shaken apart......... Like gas tanks and mufflers on say 041's for example :monkey:

Scott

041.......now your talking 30 and 40 year old saws........and they still
bring $200 to $400 easy

Scott

041.......now your talking 30 and 40 year old saws........and they still
bring $200 to $400 easy

Latest posts

Back