Killing fescue in and around sumac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got an area of sumacs that I planted about 4 years or so ago for a quail covey headquarters area but its really getting a lot of fescue in it and I'd like to kill it w/o killing the sumacs. I've also got some apple and other shrubby trees that I want to keep. Should I use RU or another grass selective herbicide like Poast/Poast Plus?

Fusilade would be a grass herbicide that should work nicely for you.

Hey thanks for the reply. The reason I mentioned Poast is that I've got some of it on hand and it needs to be used up. I've also got some Prowl on hand to. Also, would it work better if the temps were fairly warm out and the grass was actively growing, as right now its in the upper 30's and supposed to get below freezing the next couple of nights.

I just googled Fusilade and found some info. None of the variaties that I checked, Fusilade, Fusilade II and DX list fescue as one of the species controled. In fact, DX is suggested for unwanted grass control IN FESCUE fields. Whats up with that?

You will get a much better kill if the grass is actively growing. So just wait a bit till she warms up some. Poast will also works on grass but read your label just to be safe.

Round Up is a systemic absorbed by the foliage of the plant so as long as you don't get any on your sumacs leaf tissue it should work just fine on the fescue. Make sure to hit it when the grass is actively growing, ideally after mowing/trimming the fescue down to maximize absorption into the plant.

Yeah, that is what Monsanto told me when I was wanting to wipe out some ground ivy and nimblewill under my hedge tree. Round Up kills what you spray it on.

Latest posts

Back