Kiln dried price, make a kiln not a splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geese

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Central Iowa price for kiln dried wood, USDA HTF kiln drying process.

Full cord (4'x4'x8') $290.00
1/2cord (4'x4'x4') $150.00
1/3 cord (2.65'4'x4') $110.00

Thought you might find this interesting. Do you think you guys could build a kiln and sell at this price, maybe a woodfired kiln?

BTW- Drop delivery is $30.00

Glad I enjoy cutting my own!

That would more than double the price for me.

I do need a kiln though....for my milled lumber.

Firewood seasoning in the summer time.....just plain old air drying works for me.

Kevin

That's double the price for a seasoned cord here.

If I kiln dried, I'd bundle it and sell it. I've seen 0.75 cubic feet bundles sell for as much as $5.99 here. If sold at $5 per bundle, it works out to over $850/cord!!!

The main purpose of kiln drying firewood is to kill bugs, diseases, and other such pests that are far too often spread by transporting firewood. Down the road, kiln drying might be more of a requirement than an option.

That said, I've no idea what it costs to build or operate a firewood kiln, and hope I don't need to.

The main purpose of kiln drying firewood is to kill bugs, diseases, and other such pests that are far too often spread by transporting firewood. Down the road, kiln drying might be more of a requirement than an option.

That said, I've no idea what it costs to build or operate a firewood kiln, and hope I don't need to.

good point

I kiln dry wood I started to dry wood when I ran out of seasoned to sell -- But Now I get more requests for the Kiln dried wood than seasoned.. It just burns better and hotter.. Sure it costs more but I have to handle it alot more as well
eg> Process wood - put wood in the baskets - dry the wood Heat + Hydro supporting equipment -take the wood out of the baskets and load .. Whew I'm tired. I'm sorry to say The USDA & here in Canada The CFIA are getting a bit carried away. Now they want me to Cert my Kiln at a price .. Is there no shame?:blob2:

There's a kiln about 30+ miles from us. The additional cost to firewood comes out to $90/cord, or $30/.33cord, if you fill the kiln with your wood. Plus transportation expense.

Originally Posted by Geese

Thought you might find this interesting. Do you think you guys could build a kiln and sell at this price, maybe a woodfired kiln?

I'd add the costs on, and advertise it as kiln dried.
If it was going well, then I"d go for a usda cert. and advertise that too.

The usda cert gets you into campgrounds and over the borders.

Last edited:
I don't believe your typical solar kiln gets hot enough to kill all the bugs. To do that, you need to burn fuel. Wood, gas, oil, whatever, it costs $$$$$ to do it.

Yeah they get hot enough. It takes more days at the higher temp than it does a regular kiln, but the bugs can be killed in a good solar kiln.

The thought of an insulated shipping container, heated by an OWB has crossed my mind for a firewood kiln.

I'd have to be moving a lot more wood than the little I sell now to make it profitable.

With a 10 cord kiln , another 10 cords ready to be dried and 10 cords coming out I'd sure need more space or I'd be neck deep in firewood pretty quick.

If firewood was my business instead of some Christmas cash and home heating it would pay for itself to be able to offer it as a premium.

Back