Kind of off topic: Revolver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdotis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For the last few years I have a cheap (very cheap) revolver that I carry to the farm and out cutting wood on a daily basis. Mostly for rats and other rodents. This weekend it broke so it will not fire any longer. I think I can fix it but I would like to upgrade to a better version. What kind of pocket revolver do you guys carry? I need it to be a revolver as I shoot a lot of the low power CB .22 out of it (safer around the cattle). I also need it to fit in the front pocket of my jeans. I am leaning towards a Taurus 94ss2ul See link http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=387&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

My question is what do you carry in the woods and have any of you shot this taurus?

Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

I don't carry it while I'm woodcutting, but my favorite .22 rimfire handgun is a Ruger Mark I target pistol with the long barrel. It is dead accurate and I used to be able to shoot it pretty well.

Years ago a friend of mine had a pack of Beagles and we would used them to run snowshoe hares in the dead of winter. My favorite firearm for that winter hare hunting was that Ruger target pistol. Great hunting and a challenge with a handgun.

I'll never forget one time my pal brought along an ice chest full of beer with crushed ice in it. Problem was the temps outside were only like single digits! That was COLD beer on a cold day.

PS: I'll bet the Taurus would be a fine choice.

I really prefer a .38 with ratshot for that sort of thing. Is the .38 too much for the cattle? I have 2, a small one for concealed carry (Ruger LCR) and a larger Ruger GP-100 (a heavy service frame) for woods work.

The extra spread from the .38 rat shot is nice when going after a fast moving rodent or snake.

Glock---reliable, simple cleaning and breakdown, automatic, fires in all conditions ( will shoot underwater, or mud caked), safe double action. In spite of critics, it is not "plastic".
The Glock Model 26 is 9mm, small enough for concealed carry, or your purse :blob2:. Power enough for larger rodents.
Ask your local LE or tacticals what they carry.

Oh yes, no need to carry in the woods for us at least.

JMNSHO

I carry a Taurus 9mm slim on my hip everyday. I like this for a knock around gun. It gets dirty and full of sawdust sometimes. I clean it here and there and it works like a champ. Do they make ratshot for 9mm? I would like some of that. Dad's cattle don't mind the 9mm. I just feed them a couple donuts a day. They come running when they hear the truck.

Scott

The Taurus .22 revolvers are nice enough. Trigger usually isn't so great, but the new S&W triggers aren't much better.

yup, but i prefer the harder trigger pull when i'm packin' in the woods, had a close call once. I was about to wax a racoon that would not go away and i slipped in some wet leaves, gun went off when i hit the ground (still in a safe direction, but scary none the less)

If you have really big pockets, you could carry one of these...

XVR.jpg

;)

Otherwise, check out a Ruger Super Six. A nice single action revolver that comes with both a .22LR and a .22Mag cylinder. You can get it in a 4" barrel that would fit nicely in a pocket or small holster. Mine has pearl grips... :)

Out in the woods ill carry my Glock22. Ive also got a taurus PT140 pro. Both guns are 40 cal. and I LOVE the glock!!

51-65-large.jpg

Dec195.jpg

Oh and my wife carries a walthers p22 which is a fun cheap little gun
WAP22003_thumb.jpg

Out in the woods ill carry my Glock22. Ive also got a taurus PT140 pro. Both guns are 40 cal. and I LOVE the glock!!

51-65-large.jpg

Dec195.jpg

Oh and my wife carries a walthers p22 which is a fun cheap little gun
WAP22003_thumb.jpg

Question...? When it gets real hot out, does the plastic in them guns get soft...?

;) Just kidding. I've owned a couple Glocks in my day, and have a FNP40 still. I do prefer steel in my guns, but they all do shoot well.

Get a Taurus

I've got Taurus Tracker (.44mag) that I carry primarily as a bear gun while elk hunting, and secondly as a concealed weapon when I feel the need for horsepower. Whatever caliber you want is your choice, but for the money you can't beat the Taurus. The only thing I don't care for is the sight, but for what I use it for, it doesn't much matter. They are lighter than anything comparable (made of steel), and they don't fail. The "ribber" grip is comfortable, and fits my short fingers well. I've also got an H&R .22 that has never given me a problem, and has shot plenty of mouse loads around deer camp. Whatever you decide on, get a double action, not single. Single action revolvers are for make believe cowboys.

S&W 342 scandium in 38 cal as a backup to my duty Glock. Nothing lighter than scandium. Very pricey but worth every penny when you carry it every day for a living. The Taurus revolvers are very durable and reliable for the money as well. Get either but just make sure you get one, no reason to be unarmed these days. Good luck.

Stew and K9 partner Ajo...

I like my ugly little 32 H&R revolver. Also have a Hi Point 45 auto, and Taurus Millenium 380, plus a couple of old cheap 22 revolvers. My most carried pistol is a Cassul's improvement Freedom 22 mini revolver, that's stainless 5-shot. You can carry that one in your shirt pocket, but it ain't accurate, of course. In order to hit the "broad side of a barn" with it, you would need to be IN the barn.:laugh:

I've got Taurus Tracker (.44mag) that I carry primarily as a bear gun while elk hunting, and secondly as a concealed weapon when I feel the need for horsepower. Whatever caliber you want is your choice, but for the money you can't beat the Taurus. The only thing I don't care for is the sight, but for what I use it for, it doesn't much matter. They are lighter than anything comparable (made of steel), and they don't fail. The "ribber" grip is comfortable, and fits my short fingers well. I've also got an H&R .22 that has never given me a problem, and has shot plenty of mouse loads around deer camp. Whatever you decide on, get a double action, not single. Single action revolvers are for make believe cowboys.

:monkey: Well "Tex", please explain to all the fine folks the many benfefits of a double action over a single action reveolver...

For most of us the choice of what to carry has to factor in a few critical decision points:

- budget - usually can't afford many guns (1?)
- comfort - if you don't like it you will end up leaving it at home or in the car
- cheap ammo - you have to be able to afford to practice with it
- concealable - visible guns make you a potential target (arguable point)
- reliable - can you really count on remembering to rack the slide in a misfire?
- accuracy - not terribly important for a concealed carry piece
- versatility - can I use it in the woods (ratshot) AND in civilization (HP)
- takedown power (.38 +P delivers more energy than 9mm)

My theory is that I carry to give myself or others a chance to leave the area, secondarily to kill/disable a target.

When I factor all of these in, the 38 revolver (+P rated) is the best fit. I looked carefully at the Glock 26 and really liked it (cheap, reliable) but ruled it out for 2 reasons:

- my wife was not as comfortable with it as the Ruger LCR, she is intimidated by the slide and could not reliably work the action
- defective or damaged ammo means that the best auto in the world still has to be racked to clear the round, I would rather just pull the trigger again

:monkey: Well "Tex", please explain to all the fine folks the many benfefits of a double action over a single action reveolver...

Don't take offense MN. If you want to load and unload one bullet/casing at a time the go ahead. Personally, If I feel the need to pull a weapon on a bear, or bubba, I don't want to worry about cocking the thing. Pull, aquire, bang! Then bang again and again as needed. Each time you cock a single action you waste valuable time you could be shooting, and you loose the target and break form as a result of cocking. If you're at the range none of this matters, but if your a$$ depends on it, have a double action. Besides, you can always slap the hammer of a double action like Poncho and Lefty as if it was a single.

For the last few years I have a cheap (very cheap) revolver that I carry to the farm and out cutting wood on a daily basis. Mostly for rats and other rodents. This weekend it broke so it will not fire any longer. I think I can fix it but I would like to upgrade to a better version. What kind of pocket revolver do you guys carry? I need it to be a revolver as I shoot a lot of the low power CB .22 out of it (safer around the cattle). I also need it to fit in the front pocket of my jeans. I am leaning towards a Taurus 94ss2ul See link http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=387&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

My question is what do you carry in the woods and have any of you shot this taurus?

Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Going to be hard to beat your choice!

94SS2UL.jpg

A friend of mine likes his Taurus revolvers, he has had a lot of good service with them.

What part of MN are you in, if I may ask?

A good friend of mine has his FFL and shop in St Bonni, The Gun Shop , it might be worth giving Tom a call if your anywhere near.

Don't take offense MN. If you want to load and unload one bullet/casing at a time the go ahead. Personally, If I feel the need to pull a weapon on a bear, or bubba, I don't want to worry about cocking the thing. Pull, aquire, bang! Then bang again and again as needed. Each time you cock a single action you waste valuable time you could be shooting, and you loose the target and break form as a result of cocking. If you're at the range none of this matters, but if your a$$ depends on it, have a double action. Besides, you can always slap the hammer of a double action like Poncho and Lefty as if it was a single.

All choice, road-hunters might like their dirty-harry guns, but I sold my Redhawk to buy a SA .44 , it is a lot lighter at the end of a day.

Guiding I always carried mine with 2 holes loaded with Speer shot-shells loaded with #8's , worked good for camp meat. Spruce Grouse seem to jump just high enough to get picked out of the pine-needles with the bird-shot focused at their head. Fantastic when you wrap them in tinfoil with a couple strips of bacon over the top, maybe some onion and peppers sliced into the mix, cooked in the ashes and coals of a fire till the steam hisses and they sizzle, they can't be beat! :cheers:

Worst year for having to need it, 3 horses needed to be put down for various reasons, never seems to make much difference to the horse how much time was wasted cocking the SA-revolver. But then again, not to brag, I can hold my own thumb-wrestling!

These bears and bubbas you run into, think some of them would like to thumb-wrestle?

Latest posts

Back