kindling piles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
everyone has pics of thier woods piles but what about the kindling.

here's some of mine ready for winter. top box is all off cuts of cedar bottom is all the small branches for the trees I cut mostly maple.. If the top runs out I have a pile out back that can fill hat box 10 times at least.

imgp9534jh0.jpg

you got yours already split.. nice.. I'm to lasy for that.. does poplar make good kindling? I have tons on my property, cut a few this year to burn in the fall..

Us owb guys only need a handful

I generally only use kindling once a season. Get it going get a bed of coals and never strike another match.

The goal for us is also a continous flow of fire, to reduce the need for starting material, however, we have a face cord worth of kindling, 1-2" buckthorn stems that have been split into quarters, with a hatchett struck with a deadblow hammer.
So far, end each heating season with a surplus.

you got yours already split.. nice.. I'm to lasy for that.. does poplar make good kindling? I have tons on my property, cut a few this year to burn in the fall..

poplar is great kindling.

I use it for kindling and a fast hot fire first thing in the morning for fall and spring no coals to over heat the house.

Once winter hits the fire goes and stays all winter.

last winter I had crappy old wood and could hardly had enough coals burning when I can home a lunch to srart another fire. This I won't becoming home for lunch but my wood is nice a dry so hopeully It'll last 8 hours.

I use lots of kindling but I don't go thorough the effort to split it. I am lucky to get a 6 hour burn time with a large enough coal base to start a fire without starter aids. My kindling is thrown into garbage pails and usually yard fodder like bark from processing, brush, small branches and twigs which I don't have the luxury to legally burn outdoors is fair game for the stove.

last winter I had crappy old wood and could hardly had enough coals burning when I can home a lunch to srart another fire. This I won't becoming home for lunch but my wood is nice a dry so hopeully It'll last 8 hours.
One tip that I discovered from this forum was TreeCo's (not patented) method of starting a fire, one that I modified slightly for my stove:

1) Two or three large logs on the bottom
2) Newspapers and cardboard on the next layer
3) Kindling on top layer, half dozen or so dry small pieces.

Sounds a bit goofy, but it never failed me all last year. The theory is that the hot coals from the kindling drop down and light the tops of the big logs that then take over. This works better than placing the big logs on top because they can actually smother the fire before they catch.

TreeCo actually went a step further by placing the newspapers and cardboard at the very top, above the kindling, but I found that my compromise method worked better for my stove that (1) gets substantial air intake from the bottom and (2) operates with a huge chimney draft.

I get woodworking scraps from my wife's grandpa. Usually a couple large trash can loads a year. I have to pick out all of the ply pieces and the stuff used to stir paint etc, but most of it is softwoods and gets the fire going in a hurry. I also use a quite a bit of bark.

Don

i used to use old pallets constantly. i still do to a lesser extent. anything small really i really like those firestarter bricks you can buy at walmart. i break a small piece off a brick and use the propane torch and im golden. i bought a box of that firestarter stuff and i think i used half of it. so 2 years of easy fires for 15 bucks i think maybe less.

Man, I wish I had a camera. Friend is adding onto his house and has given me truckloads of 2x4s and other "waste." I need to start our cookstove daily and we go through the kindling real fast. That said, As of Sept. 1, we have a season's worth.

And it's a good thing. Just learned that 2x4s and other clean construction waste are no longer accepted at the town brushpit. :angry2:

Bummer, as this had always been my continuous source for new kindling in the late winter if the pile got low.

Back