Kink in blade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoker62

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but I had a tracking issue and my blade popped off a few times . Makes quite the unpleasant sound.

Now I have had it on for about 2-3 hrs of cutting and it has been fine. I still find myself leery of going full throttle and am always a bit anxious waiting for it to happen again, LOL.

Now the question, when it popped off , it kind of bent a kink in it . I put it on and re tensioned it but, where the kink was , its still got a bit of a bend to it which obviously creates a definite cut pattern kinda like a bent tooth but the whole blade is got the v kink. Is there a preferred way to straighten the kink or just pliers and crescent wrench . I have new blades but this one is cutting fine and right now I am just slabbing some dirty rough plank lumber .

If you use pliers/crescents you could end up make a mess of the band - OTOH seeing as its already kinked, you have nothing to lose

I haven't done it myself but I've seen a saw doctor remove a kink using a 2" thick, about a ft wide, and 3ft long, piece of flat steel as a sort of an anvil and a wide faced heavy hammer.
The trick is knowing where and how hard to strike.

I once took the bow out of a chainsaw bar using a small sledge hammer on a black smith anvil the same way but it was more by luck than anything else.

Problem is when hitting the steel to remove the kink you displace material in the band which is already displaced due to stretching caused by the kink. In the body shop world there are hammers with special faces to pull the stretched metal back. you could try a small pin punch right on the kink but as I said you will be still displacing metal likely causing a bow in the blade. It may or may not track correctly afterwards.

What type of blade are you using? I'd be somewhat concerned about the blade cracking if you try and bend it back too much.

When they break while cutting on the Woodmizer it's sometimes shotgun blast loud. (Evenually break from being worn out, we sharpen the blades and some I dug out from the back are 20+ years old)

I have one that came with the mill , Woodland hm 126 , and swapped it to ripper from Jerrys Resharp.Both popped off and got kinked. But I am going to use them up on rough slab out material. Kink or no kink lol.

Latest posts

Back