Klotz Super Techniplate 2-Stroke Pre-Mix, Ok to use in Stihl MS310?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok, so I've run out of my Stihl brand oil, and I found an unopened quart of Klotz Super Techniplate 2-Stroke Pre-Mix that my Dad used in his RC planes.

It says it's great for all 2-stokes, however it seems to be a racing type oil and smells weird (really good actually :) ).

Will I be ok to run this in my MS310? If so, what's the best mix? Stihl recommends 50/1 with their oil. Should I do the same with this stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks everyone. It smells awesome, so I might switch just because of that if it's not horribly expensive.

Take care you all, and be safe out there!!

Here's to -3 degrees tonight not including the wind chill. Thank God for dry wood and my Buck stove :)

-Will

Does anyone know why its considered a synthetic oil? Isn't it a synthetic blend and not a true synthetic oil? Not knocking the oil i'm sure it will work i'm just curious what others thought. Thanks

Does anyone know why its considered a synthetic oil? Isn't it a synthetic blend and not a true synthetic oil? Not knocking the oil i'm sure it will work i'm just curious what others thought. Thanks

It is mostly synthetic, with a small amount of castor oil, benol , the castor oil has excellent protection and film strength but is dirty compared to syn , so its designed to be the best of both.

Thanks everyone. It smells awesome, so I might switch just because of that if it's not horribly expensive.

Take care you all, and be safe out there!!

Here's to -3 degrees tonight not including the wind chill. Thank God for dry wood and my Buck stove :)

-Will

Too cold for me Will, not much warmer here 27* and snowing.

Too cold for me Will, not much warmer here 27* and snowing.

Yeah, I'm one of those fools who like winter because of the snow and burning of a fire, however these single digit and subzero temps are not cool. 20-30s I'm ok with, but not this crap LOL

Yeah, I'm one of those fools who like winter because of the snow and burning of a fire, however these single digit and subzero temps are not cool. 20-30s I'm ok with, but not this crap LOL

Haha i'm ok with 60-80 with all this cold weather and my bad eyes i cant see my ass doing anything outside for awhile lol

First I hate winter, and this has been a bad one.

Klotz SuperTechniPlate is a blend of Original techninPlate and Benoil. Original TechninPlate is made from plant extracts and other additives. Benoil is 100% Castor oil + additives. Most people have the misconception that synthetic oil is purely man made, this is completely incorrect. Other than castor oil which was the first oil called synthetic, and oils like Super TechninPlate which is plant based, all oils synthetic or non synthetic come from crude oil. The difference is in the refining process, additives and yes some polymers.

First I hate winter, and this has been a bad one.

Klotz SuperTechniPlate is a blend of Original techninPlate and Benoil. Original TechninPlate is made from plant extracts and other additives. Benoil is 100% Castor oil + additives. Most people have the misconception that synthetic oil is purely man made, this is completely incorrect. Other than castor oil which was the first oil called synthetic, and oils like Super TechninPlate which is plant based, all oils synthetic or non synthetic come from crude oil. The difference is in the refining process, additives and yes some polymers.

Thanks Andre, so basically if the manufacture manipulates there oil in any way in the lab they can call it synthetic?

No not really, all oils have ad packs.

They refine the oil with a specific process, after that the oil, or base stock will then be in a specific group of oil. Group I, II, III, V, IV These base stocks are made by the large oil companies like Shell and Mobil. These base stocks are then blended with additives to meet different applications. Most synthetic oils are group IV or a mix of group IV and group III base stocks. Esters oils have a high percentage of group V base stocks. Ester oil are considered to have the absolute best shear strength and heat resistance. Ester oils are also polarized, the oil actually sticks to metal. Only castor oil has better shear strength, but it also has too many drawbacks to use in non racing applications, besides modern esters are almost as good, but without any of the drawbacks.

Last edited:
Klotz calls the original techniplate, a lubricant made from pure synthetic bases. That is per klotz website. Which as someone else said can mean alot of things, normal you think it means man made, but the definition is not that cut and dried, it can be from natural components mixed together.

I considered using Klotz til carbon issues were raised here.

the carbon issue is null, its as clean as any good oil , read about it from klotz or do your own test. Some of the guys that claimed it was the best oil in the world are the same ones who decided it was dirty, the only thing dirty is what they are talking out of, their butt!

Latest posts

Back