Knocked out the back window of my F150

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, I did it, I knocked out the back window of my 02 F-150 tonite. Long string of profanity..... I am not to proud at this point, after lecturing my wife to be more carefull throwing wood in the bed, then I did it. Karma I guess.
She does not know....yet. Anyone know where i can get a rear slider for an 02 F150 reasonable? and Quick!! If I can get it fixed quick enough, maybe she will never know.

did the same thing to my old 97 Dodge Cummins with slider.
about croaked after calling around glass companies and dealer.

both wanted $550 to install a new slider rear window. I said.. no way.. and started digging at salvages. couldn't find any ... till I found a broken slider at a local salvage. luckily it had the driver's side panel good, but passenger panel broken.

mine was broken on driver's side.... salvage still wanted $55. so I paid it and combined the two to make a good slider.

$55 sounds a mite better than $550!

ouch

Since you brought it up, I think I will cut a section of plywood that I can slide down between the bed & cab. I have bounced a couple off the glass myself & just been lucky.

RD

Until it is fixed one only needs to be careful how it is parked/driven - keep the damage on teh off-side of her viewpoint :). I wiped the passenger side mirror and put a big dent in that door when falling a tree. She never saw it.

After the fact is a good time to consider a 'headache' rack ;).

Harry K

Some options

Claim it on your comprehensive insurance

Call around to the glass dealers in your area, prices vary wildly here

As the other poster mentioned, call salvage yards

Plywood and duct tape is the most used fix here in the North Woods

I busted the sliding pane on my F-150. Had a piece of Plexiglas handy, cut to fit, glued the handle/end cap on...done.

Gotta make something to cover it before woodcutting season tho...and do the same to the GMC...

Been there, done that (twice), built this:

(Of course you blue oval guys might want a different design and paint scheme!)

attachment.php

Less than $100 in material, but a bunch of design and build time. Still WELL worth it, wood gets tossed without a care now! Full story is in this thread: Headache rack build link

Anyone who is yet to bust the rear window out of his pick up is just a firewood wannabe. After two windows a person ought to smart up and build a rack to protect the window,,,, like I did.

My on the jobsite work bench, with a headache rack I gave 60 bucks for on Craigslist.
0513090619.jpg

garfieldhangover.jpg

Last edited:
Been there, done that, sold the shirt on fleabay. All my trucks now wear a steel headache rack. A heavy one. :)
Keep us posted on what the wifey says when she finds out. If it's possible for you to type after that. :)

Well the worst part is, we are posed to take the truck on vacation next week. Uh Oh.... Oh yeah, I did this once before on a truck that I had for sale at the time... Plexiglass in it, I still see it running around. This is a pretty nice truck, Lariat etc... I only have liability on it so no ins coverage. I really have that gut hurting feeling about this as the cost is going to hurt, vacation cash for our trip to Lagoon.

Funny thing my neighbor busted mine out last night also but he was running a backhoe loading dirt in the back of it. Good thing is a friend of mine owns a glass shop. He had one that would fit in the shop $50 & he put it in. Neighbor gave me the money for it cant beat that.

Well, I did it, I knocked out the back window of my 02 F-150 tonite. Long string of profanity..... I am not to proud at this point, after lecturing my wife to be more carefull throwing wood in the bed, then I did it. Karma I guess.
She does not know....yet. Anyone know where i can get a rear slider for an 02 F150 reasonable? and Quick!! If I can get it fixed quick enough, maybe she will never know.

Call around to the local glass shops.
If the framing for the glass ain't too mangled, they usually can swap 'em in pretty quick and cheaper than a whole new window.

Don't ask how I know...:cry:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The back glass on the F-150 can be a real bear to change out! They are bolted in with a BUNCH of 9mm nuts!
Once you get the old one out take a ball of the old gasket material and pull ALL of the old sealant off the cab before installing the new. It will never seal right otherwise!
Call around, you might get it installed for the same price you can buy one.

Latest posts

Back