knotty twisted stringy garbadge wood pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
189105d1309526714-pile5-jpg

I only keep shorties or un-stackables if they are premium woods like oak, locust, mulberry etc. Anything else gets left at the wood lot or if it does make it home it goes to the firepit. The premium wood uglys go into a plastic container (55g drum, or those 21 gallon storage bins) and go into my storage shed that gets nice and hot in the summer sun. At one time I had two "pallet boxes"
made up of 5 4'x4' pallets for the floor and sides and threw them in those.. worked well but looked a bit unsightly in my back yard.

As I refine my wood gathering skills I get more and more picky, my stacks at home must consist of 18" length splits that will make a neat stack. Looks nicer, more stable so I'm not restacking wood that fell over.

Toss 'em on top of stacked wood, sometimes.
as i am an enthusiastic wood burner and as i surely like to drink cold beer while standing around an open fire, i find most of the "uglies" are burnt while i stack my 'purty" wood between swills of cold frosties.
my good wife, who is a patient and kind woman, always has me a hot supper ready when i finally get in the house.

GD, that's where this stuff is going. Firepit city. I still want a somewhat neat stack of wood there if possible though.

I don't have a wife to cook for me while I'm burnin and imbibin, but I do have a charcoal grill out there that works for me. Just mowed the firepit area, it's ready to receive another stack of wood now, and let the fires begin!

Yep. Pert near every weekend in the summer I am at my outside firepit, cookin meat and partakin in the libation. That's where all mine gets used up.

I throw all mine in apple boxes. Store them out by the stacks most of the year, then move them one by one with the front end loader up to the house at the start of the season. Boxes as in 4'x4'x4'

Funny thing is those knoted twisted crotch wood parts are the hardest wood on the entire tree.
Sad to see so many of them end up on the firepit.

That really nasty wood that looks like a drunken ugly sailor makes for a great fire in the woodstove, better than the sexy model shaped wood.

Whitespider,

That must have took some very long days on the splitter to get that pile of ugly blocks.
I end up with maybe 10 blocks in an 8 hr splitting session.

I can imagine many many 8hr splitting sessions for that pile.

I am with john on this one, I made some forks to work with my 3 pt on the tractor. So I stack on individual skids and bring them in with the tractor all winter long. The uglies get thrown in an open top box made of skids and burned when I am home.

Some I will use for the outdoor fire pit. I have a wood furnace so I can't get real big pieces in it so those odd garbage wood pieces I give to a buddy for his outdoor furnace. He doesn't care cause its free wood for him. He just piles everything up out next to it. Bugs me cause he never stacks anything just keeps it all in a big pile.

Some I will use for the outdoor fire pit. I have a wood furnace so I can't get real big pieces in it so those odd garbage wood pieces I give to a buddy for his outdoor furnace. He doesn't care cause its free wood for him. He just piles everything up out next to it. Bugs me cause he never stacks anything just keeps it all in a big pile.

How does his wood dry ? Is it still wet by winter or no ?

Large ugly wood is noodled nice and flat. The smalls 10 in or less go in the lazy little brother pile. He has a small stove that can only take 14 in splits. He's happy and owes me.

i give alot of mine irregulars to my neighbor for bon fires. i keep some for myself for the firepit,some to my dad for his firepit.

Back