Komet Dragonfly Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc59222

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently climb in a Petzl Miniboss that I really like, but I am intrigued by the "floating d" design. Since the Dragonfly is very light and incorporates both the floating dee and the batten seat, it seems like the saddle for me. It is rather hard to shell out almost $300 for a new saddle that I am not sure I would like, especially when my Miniboss is in great condition. Anyone have any experiance with the Dragonfly or any tips on moving from a traditional setup to floating dee? Also, can anyone provide the Dragonfly manufacturer website? Thanks

I climb in the traverse and really like the batten seat. I tried the komet dragonfly and the way you hang in the saddle is much different, there are some options though that allow you to customize it. You might wear out your old saddle and then check it out once you need to replace it. The other nice thing about the dragonfly is that it's really light weight, and is easily customized to your liking, you can change the bridge, connection on the bridge etc...

jp:)

I recently bought a Dragonfly and love it. It replaced a traverse, and treesandsurf is right you hang a little different in the D-fly. I'll post some pics when i get a chance.

Komet Miller manufactures the d-fly.

A buddy of mine got a got a dragonfly in 05... used it only a few times and didn't like it, so it is like new... I AM sure he'd sell it if you made a reasonable a offer. Call me if you like. 610-356-2116

my set up

So here is a pic of how I made my D-fly sit a little better. You can see where I added a loop runner to drop the batton a little (on the traverse there is room to adjust). I also added a petzl swivel, and a shorter bridge, and a caritool 'biner for my ms200. The saddle itself cost me $311...........

A buddy of mine got a got a dragonfly in 05... used it only a few times and didn't like it, so it is like new... I AM sure he'd sell it if you made a reasonable a offer. Call me if you like. 610-356-2116

Hey Murph, are you the guy who did the article in TCI about footlocking? Great article, how come they blocked out one of your fingers on the cover???

Thanks,
Ya that was wierd.. I never did ask... It must have been an error in their photo editing... they did a lot of work on that shirt to edit out a stihl logo on my t-shirt. I was happy with the article and cover shot though...

bolt problems

A warning about the komet dragonfly. Ive mostly heard good things about it, and also liked it when i tried it out myself.

However, BIG WARNING about the "replacable front strap"!! It's attached to harness with a bolt on each side. Yesterday when my boyfriend (also a climber) got down for lunch he noticed one of the bolts were loose. He gave it half a turn and it came off!!! No need to say what could happened if that was in the tree...

The harness is two months old and hasn't been used for anything out of the ordinairy. I don't know if this is a single incident with those bolts or not, but in either case you wanna be really careful about it. Personally Im going to warn everybody I know not to use it.

Take care /Asa

locktite!

I threw away the package and all the paperwork bs that came with mine. I ordered a smaller replacement bridge and actually read the paperwork, it clearly says that Locktite should be applied to the bolts to prevent loosening. I went out and got some Locktite before climbing on the saddle, and always double check the bolts before climbing!

Adding the straps to adjust the leg risers may solve a problem but your solution has added a VERY DANGEROUS issue. NEVER have a webbing to webbing connection!!! The two materials will act like a saw and wear each other. The proper solution would use a hard link between the soft links.

Years ago, probably around eight, a friend of mine spent some time climbing in Germany. When he came back to the States he brought a couple of BF I harnesses. We did a pruning job together and I used one of the BF harnesses. Within a couple of hours I was sold on the comfort and stability of the harness.

The BFI had rings on the harness to attach the bridge. My original bridge was too long so I cut off the rings and installed bow shackles. This allowed me to use a shorter webbing bridge and became the factory solution to the issue when the BFII was designed.

When I go to a tree climbing comp I make a mental note of what gear is the most common amongst the climbers. After doing this for years I've found that the BFII is the most common harness in use. Along with Silky handsaws and Ecrin helmets you'll find most bases covered. What does this mean? To me it tells me that these tools are well made for the purpose.

I carry the correct allen wrench in a small pouch on my harness along with a small first aid kit. After about two weeks of climbing I go over all of the shackles on my harness. I've NEVER had one loosen. Doing regular gear inspections will give ample warning before failure.

When the bridge on my Butterfly1 got to looking worn I replaced it with a piece of climbing rope tied with two scaffold knots to the rings. It was an inexpensive fix, works great and best of all I've not got those bow shackles in the loop!

As far as the webbing for the bridge....I don't like how when it wears it's the visible stitching that shows wear first. It's scary to see stitching wear but it's right there on the surface of the bridge and very exposed.

Asa yours is not the first story I've heard about loose pins in the bow shackles. Life support gear is a very bad place for those shackles IMO.

Did you tie the bridge direct to the webbing???

Asa yours is not the first story I've heard about loose pins in the bow shackles. Life support gear is a very bad place for those shackles IMO.

I agree. I would not climb on a non-locking bow shackle.

You also won't find me climbing on scew links. I had one come lose, and I consider myself more attentive than most.

The standards ask us to use triple auto locking biners, but a simple screw link or bow shackle is ok because it's not a carabiner?
Tom always defends his position by saying he carries a wrench, and I guess a tube of lock-tite?
Do you all think every climber with a screw link and bow shackle carries two tools and a tube of locktite?
How about some of the first generation ART tools, didn't they come with non-locking bow shackles? Scary stuff.

I agree. I would not climb on a non-locking bow shackle.

You also won't find me climbing on scew links. I had one come lose, and I consider myself more attentive than most.

The standards ask us to use triple auto locking biners, but a simple screw link or bow shackle is ok because it's not a carabiner?
Tom always defends his position by saying he carries a wrench, and I guess a tube of lock-tite?
Do you all think every climber with a screw link and bow shackle carries two tools and a tube of locktite?
How about some of the first generation ART tools, didn't they come with non-locking bow shackles? Scary stuff.

I thought you were also climbing on a BF2 Mike. How do you have yours rigged?

The subject of the BII shackles has been flogged to death in the past. If you tighten down snug it just doesn't come loose. It takes a plenty of turns to undo. Inspect before every climb as part of harness safety check routine. I've never found one loose during inspection. If it does loosen up in the tree it means it hasn't been inspected by the climber.
-moss

How many 'screws' should be inspected before every climb?

If a climber has too many screw links to be inspected in their life support system then I'd call that impractical. It's no burden for me to check the shackles once each day of climbing. Again, I've NEVER found a shackle pin to be loose. In the reports of pins coming loose I think there is a failure to inspect, even once over many many climbs.

The NT/Ness saddle uses a mallion rapide screwlink for the saddle anchor. It can be hand tightened and climbed on. I've never had one unscrew over hundreds of climbs. I trust it over any kind of biner autolocking or otherwise.

Purity of logic and practice is all well and good but doesn't always hold up against practical experience.
-moss

Adding the straps to adjust the leg risers may solve a problem but your solution has added a VERY DANGEROUS issue. NEVER have a webbing to webbing connection!!! The two materials will act like a saw and wear each other. The proper solution would use a hard link between the soft links.

Years ago, probably around eight, a friend of mine spent some time climbing in Germany. When he came back to the States he brought a couple of BF I harnesses. We did a pruning job together and I used one of the BF harnesses. Within a couple of hours I was sold on the comfort and stability of the harness.

The BFI had rings on the harness to attach the bridge. My original bridge was too long so I cut off the rings and installed bow shackles. This allowed me to use a shorter webbing bridge and became the factory solution to the issue when the BFII was designed.

When I go to a tree climbing comp I make a mental note of what gear is the most common amongst the climbers. After doing this for years I've found that the BFII is the most common harness in use. Along with Silky handsaws and Ecrin helmets you'll find most bases covered. What does this mean? To me it tells me that these tools are well made for the purpose.

I carry the correct allen wrench in a small pouch on my harness along with a small first aid kit. After about two weeks of climbing I go over all of the shackles on my harness. I've NEVER had one loosen. Doing regular gear inspections will give ample warning before failure.

So if I showed up at a comp that you were judging, and all parts of my saddle showed no wear whatsoever. Would you disqualify me?:confused:

bow shackles & screw links are PERFECTLY safe, if inspected (as your supposed to do before EVERY climb). Locktite and snugging them down with a wrench are extra insurance. I have NEVER had a screw link (mallione rapide) come undone, nor have i had a bow shackle loosen. This is because they are inspected before each climb (as you are obligated to do under WorkSsafeBC or similar laws). Its quite simple really, me thinks that those that complain about it are not checking their gear or are just plain LAZY. sorry, just being blunt.

:)

Tomorrow morning everyone should go out and recheck the torque on all of the lug nuts on their wheels. they might have loosened up. then, start checking the less important nuts and bolts like...handlebars on the kids bikes...door knobs...

There are a zillion places in our lives where bolts are a life an death issue. But...it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be inspected occasionally.

New Tribe has been using screwlinks on their harnesses for decades and this issue hasn't been a problem. Nothing to be ignored though...check them routinely.

Back