Kwanzan Cherry Pruning Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any advice. This Kwanzan Cherry was planted in July of 2008. It is growing quickly and seems to be quite healthy. I bought it before I really understood how to choose trees and am still learning about correct pruning.

I am a bit concerned about there not being a clearly dominant leader. I circled where the leader splits into two very long, thin co-leaders. Should I remove one or should I just try to subordinate one with pruning?

In general, other than the very long co-dom leaders, I don't think the overall structure of the tree is bad. Does anyone disagree?

My plan is to wait one more year before doing any more pruning, and possibly to consult an arborist at that time. This tree is close to the house and is the focal point of a landscaping bed, so aesthetics and good structure are equal priorities.

Thanks again!

Adam

i had a chat with a pruning standard writer about kwanzans the other day. you got these in mt syl?

Treeseer,

I started two threads with tree questions, this one and one about a dwarf weeping willow. Both trees came from a local nursery north of Pittsburgh, PA called Quality Gardens.

Adam

Back