labonville 6 ply kevlar boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northcountry

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, who has time in on the labonville kevlar protective boots? I have officially destroyed my wolverines inside of 7 months an am highly disappointed in them. I was thinking for the price i spent on non protective boots maybe i would try the kevlar units but I would hate to spent the extra and have the same result. The wolverine's soles have come apart in 4 different places including both toes, the leather body looked about 40 yrs old after just a month of work and the soles look whooped out. Any other recommendations on boots that wont break the bank, protective or otherwise? Does most everybody just wear steel-toe work boots? Thanks for your replies

I have officially destroyed my wolverines inside of 7 months an am highly disappointed in them.
The wolverine's soles have come apart in 4 different places including both toes, the leather body looked about 40 yrs old after just a month of work and the soles look whooped out.

I think all work boots in general have suffered in quality. I blame China. Go ahead, flame me, I don't give a ripp! When "Georga Boots" have a label inside that says "Made in China" I am suspect that cost cutting measures are in place.

My ####ies

D
I
C
K
I
E
S

brand work boots I am using now are only a few months old and they look terrible but so far they are holding together. Yes, they are made in China also.

I never wear steel toed boots, just an 8" lace up boot. The Kevlar idea interests me, I will watch for the other opinions of them! :clap:

Last edited:
I'd wear steel toes at a minimum. I settled on the Matterhorn chainsaw boots myself, kinda spendy but worth it I think.

For regular steel toes and regular work boots I like Carolina boots but sadly like everything else some of their stuff is now made in china. But at least you can go to their web site http://www.carolinashoe.com/ and they will tell you which models are made where. I've got real wide feet and always hated steel toes, they have what they call a "broad toe" steel toe boot that I really like...... can't even tell I'm wearing steel toes.

As for steel toes or not, you decide??

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pequmgt21Lw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pequmgt21Lw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I like Chippewa boots! Still made in the USA since 1901. Some of them are now made in China, like everything else, so you have to know what you're buying. I have some loggers that are 10 years old, been to hell and back and still going strong.

Full Grain leather, brass hardware, goodyear welt construction, vibram soles and laces that I swear you'll never replace. I don't know what they make their laces out of but you'll wear the boot out first.

I haven't bought any for probably 5 years so I'm assuming they still make them as good as they use to but who knows.

Also check Sportsmanguide.com....They have sometime on closeout for $50-70 dollars....an amazing deal....just look for their "made in USA" flag and you'll know you're not getting the China specials.

These are old school boots though, (just the way I like them) but that's why I believe they last so long.

http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/gender.asp?sGender=4

I have a pair of the Labonville steel toe boots. I have not owned all the top of the line boots out there, but these seem very sturdy and well made. The leather is stiff and breaks in nicely after a couple of weeks. I believe that these boots are made in the USA, but am not completely sure. There were American flags all over them when they arrived.

In use, the boots are very comfortable for steel toes and offer the right kind of support for working all day. They seem to be for fairly wide feet, with a wide steel toe box, and wide midsole. I wear size 11 shoes, so I ordered the 11 boots and they run very true to size. With good wool socks, the fit is excellent and comfortable.

Overall, I think the Labonville boots are very nice mid priced boots and I think they will last a good long time.

thanks for the replies. I appreciate all the feedback. Erick, These are a steel toe, the rest of the boot has the chainstop kevlar under the leather. I too would never use anything but steel toes... especially after seeing that video.:dizzy:

Almost all the shoes I see are made in China, not just boots. It is a drag. Trying to find boots made here is getting to be quite a chore, though it isn't a new thing. Over the past couple decades, they've been made somewhere in the Far East, now it's China's turn. I get less use and life from my boots and do less in them now than I did when I was some younger. Some of them are downright uncomfortable. Looked at Sears the other day, 'cuz I was passing through, and saw a lot of JUNK boots, all Chinese.

I've been wearing Red Wings since I started working 20 years ago. I have never had a bad pair. Some pair have lasted 2 years of daily use. They have also recently farmed their manufacturing out to China but the quality still seems to be good at least for the time being. Their Steel Toe loggers are the most comfortable heel-type boot I have ever worn. I watch all my co-workers go through pair after pair of Rockies, and Wolverines.

I live just up the street from Labonville main store and factory. They truly cater to loggers and arborists, and actually make much of their own "Labonville" label stuff right in Gorham, NH., some other stuff is contracted. They are really excellent for logger clothing and equipment, as well as saws. Their mech service is second to none, and Josh, their tech, is masterful and a helluva guy as well. The founder Emilien Labonville, actually held numerous patents on all manner of logging innovations and equip.

I've been wearing Red Wings since I started working 20 years ago. I have never had a bad pair. Some pair have lasted 2 years of daily use. They have also recently farmed their manufacturing out to China but the quality still seems to be good at least for the time being. Their Steel Toe loggers are the most comfortable heel-type boot I have ever worn. I watch all my co-workers go through pair after pair of Rockies, and Wolverines.

+1
Red Wing boots...:clap:
Rocky boots...:(

all good info, thanks! redwing is my fallback choice. i have labonville chaps and trust their build, just wondering of any model/brand boot experience as I may be the first to give a real honest report on these units shortly and I am dead honest in my evaluations... both good and bad and as I pull no punches, I expect to get what I pay for...not more but at least as much...Wolverine is a junk boot by my estimate as an actual work boot..just a fact... hope I will be singing accolades for labonville seeing as they are a sponsor here and are paying for our ability to rant here for free..lol :greenchainsaw:

Red Wings are usually a good all around choice, though I have seen junk pairs. Anything not made in China would be worth looking at.

China makes junk and I am tired of their sh1t.

I haven't bought any for probably 5 years so I'm assuming they still make them as good as they use to but who knows.

Risky assumption. 5 years is a long time in the life of a company these days. :(

Also check Sportsmanguide.com....They have sometime on closeout for $50-70 dollars....an amazing deal....just look for their "made in USA" flag and you'll know you're not getting the China specials.

Yeah, they have some great deals. Just understand that they are going to sell your name to every Tom, Richard, and Harry out there. You'll be able to heat your house every winter just by burning junk mail.

And getting OFF their mailing list just about takes an act of Congress.

Risky assumption. 5 years is a long time in the life of a company these days. :(

Yeah, they have some great deals. Just understand that they are going to sell your name to every Tom, Richard, and Harry out there. You'll be able to heat your house every winter just by burning junk mail.

And getting OFF their mailing list just about takes an act of Congress.

That's why I made that comment :dizzy: but really no reason to believe they're still not quality made......Still made here in the USA and still made with same materials and same construction.

I've bought from the Guide for probably 20 years and always thought they were a stand up company....never a problem returning anything. Like what company that you've ever ordered from doesn't send their mailings to you on a regular basis.... Besides I can live with the junk mail to get some great deals.....Buy what you want, where you want. :givebeer:

Red Wing. I've only worn the USA made ones and bought 4 pair when I heard they might shift manufacturing to China. Much more comfortable for me than the Filson boots I used to wear.

I used diesel to fire my burn piles with. Now I save all junk mail and have been using that instead. Not as fast as diesel but the end result is the same. I would rather put the diesel in the Kubota since it is approaching $5 gallon.

Latest posts

Back