Ladder, tree work, fatal accident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
FARMINGTON, Conn. -- Police in Farmington said a man who was performing some tree work in his yard on Collinsville Road died after falling from a ladder on Thursday.

The 59-year-old man suffered a severe head injury.

A request was made to transport the victim by medical helicopter but it was denied because of the weather.

The man was transported by ambulance to John Dempsey Hospital where he died a short time later.

The victim's identity has not been released pending notification of his family. This was a copy & paste from channel 3 online news. Sad.

Whats it gonna take to make people realize this is a skilled trade??

I guess the money he saved by doing it himself turned out to not be worth it in the end - moron!

I know this sounds harsh...but sugar coating it doesnt seem to do any good either. These people need to understand thats its not all that easy, you dont simply grab a ladder and some piece of crap chainsaw and get at her!

Yeah, I called a dead man a moron! Can anyone really argue this??

Don't know if he was using a chainsaw or handsaw.

The Hartford Courant
12:08 p.m. EDT, October 16, 2009
FARMINGTON - A 59-year-old man died after falling off a ladder outside his home on Collinsville Road Thursday afternoon, police said.

Thomas J. Brady was working on a tree by himself at about 3:45 p.m. when he fell from an extension ladder, police said. He suffered from a serious head injury and was transported by ground ambulance to John Dempsey Hospital, they said.

He died a short time later.

It just seems like such a stupid thing to throw your life away for...you would think the guy would know what he was doing was dangerous, he still went and did it though. :confused:

I guess he didnt think it would happen to him.

the obvious ladder/ppe issues aside... I really dont think your average person is mentally prepared for cutting aloft, things move pretty quickly cutting up there - the average HO just isnt prepared for that type of thing. Its sort of like the warning decals on the bandits: the chipper does not know the difference between a hand or wood. Well, the tree doesnt know your a moron, and it doesnt care if you have a family either.

I have a neat set of scars down my right wrist I picked up about 20 years ago. I was working inside a building replacing airconditioning fittings. I couldn't find a ladder so I used a chair to reach the outlet. I lost my balance, fell onto a pile of metal OBD's (air vents to you lot) and sliced up my right forearm but good. The lesson here is simple. Falling down hurts. Falling down on hard stuff hurts more. Falling down on hard stuff from a decent height can kill you stone cold dead.

Stay safe people. :)

i see it eveyday here.

we are just overpriced vultures to most around here.anyone with a chainsaw can do it one guy told me.he dropped the first tree across the wires and caught his lawn on fire.next weekend he was back out there again.what are ya gonna do?

we are just overpriced vultures to most around here.anyone with a chainsaw can do it one guy told me.he dropped the first tree across the wires and caught his lawn on fire.next weekend he was back out there again.what are ya gonna do?

Overpriced vultures lol I an sorry for his family but really agree they do need to understand this is skilled work not whack and stack.

It is Sad really.
One stupid limb cost the guys family a life.

The problem is that the matter is TOO simple.

Lotsa folks figure they could drive and win at Daytona 'cuz it's just pressing the gas pedal and turning left all the time.

If folks had a clue to half the dynamics present and a respect for them, they wouldn't bother and just ring your phones.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That is sad but seems like people dont realize just how dangerous it is to do any kind of tree work off a ladder. people are doin it around here all the time. saw an older guy last week with a LONG extension ladder leaned up against the tree & he was on like the 2nd or 3rd step from the top swinging a big saw! this is a risky trade anyway even out of a bucket or climbing but off a ladder it is suicide. one wrong cut or slip and ur done or paralyzed probably if you would happen to survive.

That is sad but seems like people dont realize just how dangerous it is to do any kind of tree work off a ladder. people are doin it around here all the time. saw an older guy last week with a LONG extension ladder leaned up against the tree & he was on like the 2nd or 3rd step from the top swinging a big saw! this is a risky trade anyway even out of a bucket or climbing but off a ladder it is suicide. one wrong cut or slip and ur done or paralyzed probably if you would happen to survive.

I know a pro who uses a ladder every day! He's a climber and uses it to get into the first limb. I watched my tightwad neighbor cut down 3 good sized maples with a 40ft ext ladder and craftsman elec polesaw. Took him 3 weekends to do what I could have done in a day but he got it done. No injuries but he took out his power line feed which prbly cost about what I would have charged.

I am just glad I am afraid of ladders for doing any type of work!Unless they are bolted to what ever your climbing not afraid of heights as long as no ladder is involved lol. But I am sure I would be freaked out if I climbed a tree any more than 25' up.
I had a Pro cut my big Poplar down he was more than 50'up. Started with a hand saw then a Dolmar top handle and finished with a husky395 lol. Well worth the $700.00. Plus they chipped all the branches.The power line also had to be disconnected as it went right through the lower branches.He also got stung twice by yellow jackets.
P.S I always recommend this guy to friends and family that need real tree work done.His price is mid range but the work done and clean up is great.
Moral of the Story sometimes a man just has to know his limitations!
I can Drop A tree anywhere I want to as long as the tree will fit lol. If it don't fit call someone that can take it down piece by piece.

Last edited:
all they see here lately is price.

Overpriced vultures lol I an sorry for his family but really agree they do need to understand this is skilled work not whack and stack.

they vote for Democrats to raise taxes to take care of those who don't or won't work but us guys that do and will work and have bills to pay are supposed to work for nothing and have insurance.

go figure. logic is on a speeding train headed out of here.

i was doing a hedge trimming job today.

I know a pro who uses a ladder every day! He's a climber and uses it to get into the first limb. I watched my tightwad neighbor cut down 3 good sized maples with a 40ft ext ladder and craftsman elec polesaw. Took him 3 weekends to do what I could have done in a day but he got it done. No injuries but he took out his power line feed which prbly cost about what I would have charged.

old timer across the street had me shaking my head.

he was in the street with every bit of 150 feet of extension cord and his Crapsman shop vac,blowing his leaves off the street and sidewalk back into his front yard.took him several hours.i could have blown the whole yard off,loaded the leaves and been gone in less than an hour.guess his time isn't worth much.listing to those plastic wheels on the pavement was very annoying.

they vote for Democrats to raise taxes to take care of those who don't or won't work but us guys that do and will work and have bills to pay are supposed to work for nothing and have insurance.

go figure. logic is on a speeding train headed out of here.

You just made me angry you mentioned insurance, my provider is talking of canceling me. I paid them sobs in full in july for the year then they pulled the audit bs and want 800 more that I don't have. ####ing pricks I told them if they can't wait a while after receiving 4 k and putting me in the poor house that they better give me all my money back. I am tired of all the vultures surrounding our industry picking away anything you may possibly profit some on.

Whats it gonna take to make people realize this is a skilled trade??

I guess the money he saved by doing it himself turned out to not be worth it in the end - moron!

I know this sounds harsh...but sugar coating it doesnt seem to do any good either. These people need to understand thats its not all that easy, you dont simply grab a ladder and some piece of crap chainsaw and get at her!

Yeah, I called a dead man a moron! Can anyone really argue this??

You are a moron.

i hear you.

You just made me angry you mentioned insurance, my provider is talking of canceling me. I paid them sobs in full in july for the year then they pulled the audit bs and want 800 more that I don't have. ####ing pricks I told them if they can't wait a while after receiving 4 k and putting me in the poor house that they better give me all my money back. I am tired of all the vultures surrounding our industry picking away anything you may possibly profit some on.

so far my insurance company seems reasonable.they haven't given me any trouble or raised my rates.can't complain so far.

as i have stated before,chainsaws seem like the only equipment in our business that are fairly priced for what they do.everything else is ridiculous.they know we need it though so they bend us over.last person that asked why i was so expensive,i handed them a arborist supply catalog.they were in shock to say the least.

so far my insurance company seems reasonable.they haven't given me any trouble or raised my rates.can't complain so far.

as i have stated before,chainsaws seem like the only equipment in our business that are fairly priced for what they do.everything else is ridiculous.they know we need it though so they bend us over.last person that asked why i was so expensive,i handed them a arborist supply catalog.they were in shock to say the least.

Sorry but I hate insurance freaking schemers.

Latest posts

Back