Laptop computers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Do any of you guys carry laptops with you in your vehicles for doing estimates, contracts, bills, etc? I am thinking about buying myself a new laptop for doing contracts on the spot so long as they are not massive ones. If you have one, or are thinking about one I have but a few questions for you...

1) is it worth it?
2) what kinds of software would i need to buy in addition to what comes with it?
3) how do you secure it in the vehicle?
4) What are the limitations of the mobile computer / printer?

I am thinking about maybe a Dell laptop and would also get the portable printer with it.

Now you're talking to the right guy!! Dell laptop isn't bad, don't really know much about the portable printers though, haven't really paid attention to them. I would say yeh it's worth it. Now for software it really depends on you! Do you want software like "Arborware" or just something like quickbooks. Quickbooks probably isn't gonna come with it unless you get a busniess package with the laptop. But it's easy to put on the laptop if you bought the software. I got one myself, don't use it out in the field but probably will sooner or later. As far as securing it down, you better rig something up real good:D

Um, not to sound ignorant here, but what is Arborware? I in the past have been doing my books and time sheets, etc. on MS Excel. I have been making contracts on MS Word. What kind of laptop do you have? My mother works for IBM and I was hoping to possibly get a good deal on a Think Pad due to that.

All I know about "Arborware" is that it's a expensive software just or arborists. A new laptop should have Excel and Word though if thats what you used to using. But I'd probably stick with the Dell though.

I think the arbor type programs are realy for larger companies where someone else is selling the work. You can map out a property in them, track chemical data, equipment and such.

becarful with hightech stuff in the feild, i had a mini cpu in my truck
couldnt print but i carried blank estimates with me, the cpu was small and came in a ssealed case and still broke due to dirt and dust.

ArborWare

To learn more about ArborWare, please feel free to visit our site:
www.ArborSoftWorx.com, then select the "Commercial Products" button.

ArborWare is a business management software product built for the industry, and the developers have been supporting this industry with this offering for a little over 10 years.

It is the least expensive product of it's kind on the market today, and the most feature rich.

As far as the Dell laptop - they are consistently rated number 1 in all the Computer Industry magazines, and have won the most awards for the longest time. (We're value added resellers for Dell).

There are "industrial" options available for other manufacturers of laptops, such as hard cases and covers - however, a laptop is a delicate piece of electronic equipment that is affected by the elements (heat, cold and humidity). These "industrial" cases can be as expensive + as the laptop itself.

Portable printers come in many shapes and sizes, and have become very price competitive. The only cons are the expense of ink cartridges (about $20+ each) and speed. If you're not looking for laser printer speed, then the portable printer (which are all "inkjet") is the right answer.

Diana, how much would I be talking about spending here between the new Dell laptop and the portable printer? Also what powers them when they are in a vehicle for longer periods of time? - thanx

I have a laptop in my truck and I power it by a cigarette lighter attachment. I just plug it in. It has several outlets. I think Diana would be better suited to suit you up with the software than the laptop.:D You could probably get the whole set up with out the arborware for less than 2,000. I use it for my bills (a laptop), it works great right on site.

Darin's pricing is about right - depends on how many bells and whistles you want on the laptop, you should budget for 2000-2500, including the printer, spare chargers, etc.

We're currently negotiating sponsorship for this web site...

Latest posts

Back