Large Co-dom Ash Close to house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PARAL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have a nice collection of mature trees around our "new" house.

Eastern side: a few Red Oak, Ash, and smaller Sugar Maples
Southern side: Sugar Maple
Western side: White Oak

We love the beauty of the shade trees and their benefits of keeping the house cooler.

I am thinking of removing a large co-dom ash for the main reason of it's possible failure. The ash is 10' off the deck on south/east side of the house and is one of the tallest trees around. It partially shades the house during the late morning. It seems like the only tree that is partially effective once the sun gets higher in the late morning. After that the large sugar maple takes over until mid afternoon. One half of the Ash is aimed at the Sugar Maple on the Southern side and the other towards the Red Oak on the Eastern side. I could picture the one half falling on the Sugar Maple and "rolling" onto the house/deck.

A benefit in its removal would be a little more lawn area for the kids to play.

Can you help me think through this issue? Please advise.

Here is an album of some trees around our house.
http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss306/aephilae/Trees/?albumview=slideshow

Or see specific pics below ... click on them to enlarge.

Base of Ash

Top of Ash

Ash next to Red Oak

Crotch of Ash

Last edited:
I would take the Ash down, it will eventually succumb to EAB and have to be removed anyway.

Ed

I would take the Ash down, it will eventually succumb to EAB and have to be removed anyway.

Ed

True, but if I was removing it for that reason I would have to remove 1/3 of the trees on my property. :( Lets hope that our area isn't infected in the near future.

Ash close to house

Here is another angle on situation.

That tree allows all sort of critters to be able to access the roof of your house. I've seen those "rats with long bushy tails" jumping off limbs and eventually nesting in a house.

Here is another angle on situation.

That tree allows all sort of critters to be able to access the roof of your house. I've seen those "rats with long bushy tails" jumping off limbs and eventually nesting in a house.

Hehe ... well the co-dom I am looking to drop doesn't have many branches at the level of the house and none are close. Point well taken though.

How do I find a good local arborist? One who is qualified to assess the trees on my property and give advice?

How do I find a good local arborist? One who is qualified to assess the trees on my property and give advice?
Click on the link in my sig, and or go to njisa.org or asca-consultants.org. Good idea to get qualified advice; what you get on the internet is sketchy. Hmm, cut all your ashes cuz of a green bug that is several states away, cut trees close to the house cuz squirrels will invade...those may be factors but the biggest factor is the contribution the tree makes to cooling and beautifying your home.

Cables are not expensive or hard to install.

Click on the link in my sig, and or go to njisa.org or asca-consultants.org. Good idea to get qualified advice; what you get on the internet is sketchy. Hmm, cut all your ashes cuz of a green bug that is several states away, cut trees close to the house cuz squirrels will invade...those may be factors but the biggest factor is the contribution the tree makes to cooling and beautifying your home.

Cables are not expensive or hard to install.

Save them if you can. Doesn't look like EAB has affected them yet. EAB kills them pretty fast up here. Remove the hard ware in the tree nd it will last longer.

Back