Laser bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marti384

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone ever use a Laser brand bar? I found some that are fairly cheap, and made in china, so I was wondering if there is anyone with first hand knowledge if they are decent. It would be used for cutting about 10 cord of wood a year.

By Laser do you mean like the Oregon Laser tip bar? If so those are sprocketless bars. Their application is for realy dirty wood and dirty condition cutting. Because there is no sprocket it has more resistance to the chain, taking power/tourqe from the saw. If you got power to spare with your saw I wouild say give it a try, If your running like a 455 rancher I would pass.

The Oregon laser tip bar I have gotten recently says made in Canada on it. It is laser welded stellite on the tip. If you cut with the bottom of the bar I won't believe there are much losses until I see some lab test results. Chances are the original poster has something else in mind.

Anyone ever use a Laser brand bar? I found some that are fairly cheap, and made in china, so I was wondering if there is anyone with first hand knowledge if they are decent. It would be used for cutting about 10 cord of wood a year.

There's a few different levels of Laser brand bars,

The "Ultra" replaceable tip bars are rebranded Tsumara,

The "Forestry Pro" are rebranded Oregon Power Match or Carlton

And the laminated are chinese made and the are cheap, but there's a wide variety of quality in cheap bars.

The only thing on the bar is Laser, don't think they are an Oregon. Yes, I am thinking they are laminated Chinese. Has anybody used one?

Like this? No feedback on the bar, looked cheap, I flipped the saw after only a carb rebuild so I only cut with it for an hour or so.

IMG_4583.jpg

Like this? No feedback on the bar, looked cheap, I flipped the saw after only a carb rebuild so I only cut with it for an hour or so.

IMG_4583.jpg

If they're anything like the Laser brand chain I ran, its cheap. Wasn't impressed by it. The agency I was working for bought a box of it instead of the usual Oregon to save a few bucks. Was the last time they did that

Thanks for the info and opinions. I may shy away from those bars. I am looking for something for my father in law. Where he lives he can only buy a 16" stihl bar for about $50+. He just can't afford them and I was looking around online for a cheaper alternative for him.

The Laser branded laminate bars are a good value for the money. My uncle has been running one for the past three years, 20 full cord a year, and regular tractor duty, and has not had any issues with it.

I'm running a 20in solid baron an 028 wood boss runs good and seems to hold up been using it for about 3 years now just got a 24in sprocket nose for my jonsered 920 haven't used it much but seems like a good bar

Thanks for the info and opinions. I may shy away from those bars. I am looking for something for my father in law. Where he lives he can only buy a 16" stihl bar for about $50+. He just can't afford them and I was looking around online for a cheaper alternative for him.

I don't know your situation or your FIL's situation, but if my FIL needed to cut 10 cords/yr and couldn't afford a $50 chainsaw bar, I'd happily buy him one.

For 10 card a year an Oregon Power Match would be a good choice. In Laser this would = "Forestry Pro" line. Same bar nose pattern and price advantaged over Oregon.

Their "Ultra" series as mentioned previously are actually Tsumura, the real deal. Even better quality and discounted pricing.
We have used many of the above bars and can recommend. However I don't use their Chinese chain.
Not sure why but their regular chain has been hit and miss?? Said to be rebranded Carlton?
I've used their carbide impregnated chain with good results...after I file it. Good longevity, worth the price.
Hope you can get your FIL up and running.

I asked Educated Climber about them on YT. LASER makes a short appearance on his chain sharpening video. There is a difference between a firewood cutter and a climbing arborist.

Latest posts

Back