Late 90s Poulan "Wild Thing" - easy enough to fix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus von herten

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Found my late father's last-used chainsaw in the shed, a late-1990s purple and green Poulan "Wild Thing".

Looks like it was stored with fuel, the purge bulb is eaten away. Replacing the lines and bulb is a given, but are there any upgrades or aftermarket mods I can do to this saw? Probably rebuild the carburetor and flush out the bar oil?

I took it into the shop a month ago and they still haven't gotten to looking at it yet. I have half a mind to just pick it up and work on it myself.

Is this something a newbie can handle or should I let the pros tackle it? I know it's a low end saw but it has sentimental value.

Please please go get that saw and learn for yourself and ask questions on here to get you through it

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
I second this in a heartbeat! The community on here loves to help, and will answer any questions you have! After you fix this one, you might even contact CAD and want to continue with this saw wrenching stuff.

Thanks gents for your sentiment. I tried to call these bums but they aren't picking up right now. Going to pick up the saw if they haven't touched it yet!

go pick it up. If you call, they will say it is apart and has a big bill already. If you just show up and ask for it, they can't gouge.

In fairness to the shop, they know the consumer saws are hard to work on, get lot of labor into a cheap saw, and either way a po'd customer, so they are reluctant to get into them until a slow time.

They are not a permanent saw, but for nostalgia reasons you should fix it, and for more nostalgia, fix it yourself.

How's the stickers on it?

If they're bad, you simply must replace them with OEM. :blob2: They're too rad not to.

69ea591d02f73beb6d5d101645e2d47f.jpg

So here it is. I picked it up from the bums today. They charged me for the purge bulb and replaced lines, about $14. Not a lot of attention to detail, I walked away with it and noticed the fuel cap was missing. It's a 2175 and has a power care bar from Home Despot.

The bums were going to sharpen the chain but it looks rust, no way I want to deal with stuck links and that kind of nonsense. Will check some of the posts here.

Is there a Walbro carb that will work on these? Where do you think I should start besides looking at old threads?

Thanks guys!

4b9e8b70dd4d3e58972a5884e7608e94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wow, you got a smokin deal for $14

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
I'm looking at the receipt and notice that the purge bulb isn't a line item. I am going to call them up today or tomorrow. They may be bums but I run a business too and parts are not free. OTOH, they are a STIHL dealer so maybe I will buy from them to make them whole.

Latest posts

Back