Late customer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why do they wait? Had one show up today, wants 1 cord willow. Glad to sell it as I am overstocked. But...Yesterday was the end of a 2 week dry spell. Ended yesterday with about 6" of snow, fairly damp (good snowman quality). Of course the wood that is dry is at the far end of the small pasture. He says he has a 4by with short box. Didn't know what size a cord was, I showed him. He figures he might come back tomorrow with a trailer. I seriously doubt that he will be able to get to and back form the pile pulling a trailer. Guess I'll be out there blowing a road to it tomorrow morning.

I would not have sent him home with an empty pickup truck. We would have put a half cord in that bed. And another half cord on his next trip. I know a half cord does not fit in a short bed pickup. I would have charged him that anyway. He is just going to get stuck pulling a trailer in your woodlot in the snow and eat up your day.

He did show up today. No problem with the access as it warmed to 39 overnight. The 6" had shrunk down to a couple inches of slop. Filled the Uhaul with a full cord. I didn't even want to look at the tires on it, just so he made it out of the driveway :) Had another new customer show up this morning. He may be stopping by on his way home this afternoon. Only wants a little bit for a small shop stove. That is where Willow shines, quick, hot fires and a good sized chunk with all drafts shut will still light off in the morning.

I got a phone call from a customer asking for a cord of ash + beech and was extremely rude on the phone for apparent reason , so i asked him when he wants it delivered. His response was he (not needed but) wanted it yesterday and with him still being ignorant, and me having a short temper i told him he should have phoned me the day before he wanted and hung up

I don't have any late customers right now, but I do have several late poachers who have suddenly realized that it is cold outside and getting colder. They bought no firewood when they should have, spent or gambled away their cash, and now it's time to poach in order to get through the winter. Things like this sicken me.:nofunny:

I don't have any late customers right now, but I do have several late poachers who have suddenly realized that it is cold outside and getting colder. They bought no firewood when they should have, spent or gambled away their cash, and now it's time to poach in order to get through the winter. Things like this sicken me.:nofunny:
Game cameras/game video cameras?

I actually watched two pick-up trucks pulling empty trailers slowly going by my woodpiles. I have to wonder what I lose whenever I'm not there. I've also let my inventory of dry split wood slide back to bare bones, but I don't think that's a factor. Thieves steal anything that looks like it will burn. I used to have this gal looking after things, but I had to say good bye to her last October:
Lady at 3.jpg
Lady, my late flat-coated retriever. Fabulous hunting dog, watch dog, you name it. RIP.

I actually watched two pick-up trucks pulling empty trailers slowly going by my woodpiles. I have to wonder what I lose whenever I'm not there. I've also let my inventory of dry split wood slide back to bare bones, but I don't think that's a factor. Thieves steal anything that looks like it will burn. I used to have this gal looking after things, but I had to say good bye to her last October:
View attachment 619856
Lady, my late flat-coated retriever. Fabulous hunting dog, watch dog, you name it. RIP.

I recently went through a similar experience with mine. They sure do bring so much joy no matter how cold and wet it gets outside. Thanks

I do not think that I would have any customers at all if it was not for late customers. I usually start calling my regular customers about March or April and start scheduling. By the time I get about 10 or 15 of them taken care of a few new ones call. I try to make it easy as possible for them telling they could wait until September to pay, but collecting often has not been an issue. This year it has been very mild so will likely just not sell as much as in the past. Thanks

I recently went through a similar experience with mine. They sure do bring so much joy no matter how cold and wet it gets outside. Thanks
You owned a flat coat? They are rare retrievers, as you know. Lady was amazing in that she lived 15.5 years. Avg. life expectancy is about 10. I will never forget her. She lived even three months after she could bark no more, eventually going blind from cataracts and unable to get up on her own and walk. It's sad to see them go. Here's another good shot of her, the best firewood watch dog I ever owned.
Picture 005.jpg

Beautiful dog.

On topic, I just think it is funny how everyone waits until they are out of wood to order more, especially if they have plenty of money.
Sorry to bounce off the topic. I'll try to stay on the beam. I just got a call from a new customer who waited until today to have his chimney and fireplace inspected. He would like a firewood delivery next week. I have to wonder why he waited until now to get that inspection and/or cleaning. Anyway, that's the latest new customer I've obtained in some time. A few are already scheduled for a second load, and my biggest customer received his seventh last week.

Back off topic again. That's the problem with dogs, they just don't live long enough. Here's my little girl, she was 85 pounds last year when she got her Christmas hair do. All the hair on the floor came from Macey, in the background. They had enough hair to make an extra dog. Then in the picture of pups, the third from the left was Brooke. She grew up to be a 97 pound lap dog. Brooke only got to 4 years old and got sick, no one could figure out what it was. She went from 97 to 65 pounds and we had to put her down. We lost Macey last month, she was old, 13, I really miss these two, Joe.

KejEftC.jpg

GsZ8pRg.jpg

Back off topic again. That's the problem with dogs, they just don't live long enough. Here's my little girl, she was 85 pounds last year when she got her Christmas hair do. All the hair on the floor came from Macey, in the background. They had enough hair to make an extra dog. Then in the picture of pups, the third from the left was Brooke. She grew up to be a 97 pound lap dog. Brooke only got to 4 years old and got sick, no one could figure out what it was. She went from 97 to 65 pounds and we had to put her down. We lost Macey last month, she was old, 13, I really miss these two, Joe.

KejEftC.jpg

GsZ8pRg.jpg

I'm waiting for the shoe to drop on my oldest dog - long hair Dachshund. He has a huge growth about soft ball size on on back leg. Doc looked at it when he was 15 and said that considering his age he wouldn't do anythng about it. That was two years ago and he doesn't show any signs of failing yet. The growth doesn't bother him at all excpet for tripping over it sometimes.

Beautiful dog.

On topic, I just think it is funny how everyone waits until they are out of wood to order more, especially if they have plenty of money.
+1 on the dog Bless her the problem with J Public Is they work on the 2 systems #1 "The just in time method" #2 "Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow" a snow fall or cold snap sort of concentrates the mind so they do what should have been sorted weeks back in the case in the post they turn up seeking a replenishment to their wood stock or what ever

Latest posts

Back