Latest additon to saw family

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I couldnt help but want to join the elite group of 090 owners, and although it took me awhile, i finally got one.

This now makes 3 stihl's and 3 husky's, but one of the husky's is on ebay as we speak, so the tides are turning.

CONGRATS!!!!
Thats a great looking saw!
By the way, is that some form of a Toyota truck in the background???
Random question, just curious.

-drew

Purdy nice!
I got the same truck. I dont have the big ol' tires and wheels but I do have a set of SS step tubes on it. V6 TRD package.
Good truck, made in KY but looking to upgrade to a GMC sooner or latter.

-Drew

090 stihl

hello robert,
thats a pretty nice 090 you bought. when you run a 090 the people gather around and watch. they dont realize stihl ever made that big of a saw. if you unhook the choke link to the governor vane it will run much better- about 1500 more rpm. nice saw
ken

Sweet saw. It is cool to have the mother of all modern chainsaws.

Of course there is no practical use for the saw anymore, which means I need one:D

Ken,

Could you give me instructions as to how to unhook that? Is it fairly simple? Im not all that mechanically inclined.

By the way the 088 is running great Ken, it really picked up after it broke in. Sorry I never responded to that email. Now all i need to do is get some square ground chain on it.

Rob

090 choke

Hello again robert,
Huskyman's right, thats one of the earlist modern saws. I think they called it the lighting at first. the 090 is still sold in russia., china, and, south america. saw a show about the brazilians cutting down all the timber in the rain forest and the fallers were using 090 stihl's.Your 090 isn't the latest model but its the one before the latest. you can tell by the handle mounts.
to remove the choke link remove the rear cover thats over the carb. you will see a link going from the choke linkage down to the governor vane. just remove the c-clip and take the link off and install a carb spring to hold the choke in the open position. I've had some that begin pulling the choke on at 8500 rpm. it makes a big difference on a 090
On your 088 when you get 4-5 tanks thru it it will begin to really run faster Stihl runs about .001 thousand smaller piston to wall clearance than the other saw makers so they take longer to break in
for good square chain and chain sharpening in your area contact steve melzer, (z4lunch) he's got a simington grinder and grinds some nice square chain and is very reasonable.
Ken

Rob,
Steve here... Great looking 090!!! Congrats!! You'll have fun with that big beast. Nice Toyota too... Here's a pic of mine...No not my 090, Betsy, as my wife calls her.. She's just about ready to turn 210,000 miles.
Drop me a note if you'd like some square ground chain
Steve

Is it actually possible to buy a new 090?

Do you have to know somebody in Russia, China, SA?

What would it cost? A grand and a half?

She sure looks fine!:)

Have have a friend who is frow Brazil, im going to have him check into what one costs down there if it is availiable. The only problem is that, things cost alot more down there.

Costs can get weird in the "third world". A cow might be worth $35 in US currency and an imported item like a Boombox might sell for the equivalent of $1000.

Nice saw, Weatherby!

Ken, I've heard about disconnecting the gov. before, but have been hesitant to try it for fear of cooking the motor. Is this not a reasonable worry?
Thanks,
George

Latest posts

Back