Leaded Gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andrethegiant70 said:
I'm with 16:1MIX, you REALLY don't want to breathe that stuff. Lead? Good riddance.

Good point. Some of you may have seen my earlier posts that speak very favorably of 100LL Avgas. I would like to go on the record to say that leaded gas exhaust fumes are fairly toxic and should be avoided when practical.

That being said, breathing the vapors of partially burned unleaded two stroke exhaust is also fairly toxic. There are applications for using 100LL in a chainsaw, but it should be done carefully to minimize exposure of the operator to exhaust fumes.

100LL avgas has a Motor Octane Number (MON) of 100, ASTM Publication D2700 03b states that typical automotive fuels have motor octane numbers of 80-90. Generally speaking Research Octane Numbers (RON) are higher than motor octane numbers for the same fuel. I am guessing that the RON for avgas would be 110 or more.

Make no mistake 100LL Avgas is far and away a higher quality fuel than automotive fuel by nearly ever possible standard measure. That does not mean is is the best fuel to use in all situations.

I worked at a refinery for 3 months last fall and got a fairly extensive indoctrination on hazards. Benzine is considered a fairly potent carcinogen and can be absorbed thru the skin. It is in most gasolines. We would be written up for working without gloves. Some of the catalysts are pretty poisonous too and when the system is rebuilt a lot of dust gets strewn around. None of it is medicine for you.

Torco 112,
I run it in my race truck, Higher octane is only needed on high compresson engines. 112 is good Up to 13.5 to 1 ratio (i have 13.25 to 1) I dont think leaded High octane gas would do any good for a saw without lots of mod work done to it + lead will do nothing for 2 stroke engines(maybe hurt them?).
Can you mix leaded gas with 2 stroke oil???? I have never done it.

BVaught, You right in regards to the octane number of avgas being around 100. The numbers I got where taken from a PDF I had and where actually for a differant fuel.

Last edited:
Ben, I think you are making a blanket unqualified statement in regard to lead contamination of a human via inhalation. perhaps metallic lead, no, but the compounds formed in combustion and the volatised particles sure are. I was doing radiator repair a number of years ago and got all the trade related literature. Regulations of repair shops was becoming more stringent and discharge of ventilation fans prohibited and discharge of test tank to the sewers also. Repairmen were getting elevated blood levels and the most accepted cause was inhalation of smoke from the flame and solder.

Ben, I think you are making a blanket unqualified statement in regard to lead contamination of a human via inhalation. perhaps metallic lead, no, but the compounds formed in combustion and the volatised particles sure are.
Frank, This info was related to me by a doctor who speciallizes in the kidneys. I took it as fact after considering the source, but it might not be accurate.
I will have to shoot him a email and get back with you.

MS-310 said:
Torco 112,
112 is good Up to 13.5 to 1 ratio (i have 13.25 to 1)

I think you will find it is the 'effective' compression, along with other variables such as temperature etc..., that really matter, not the static compression. Try running a 'static' measured 10:1 motor hot with small valves, short duration, and minimal overlap.

bwalker said:
BVaught, You right in regards to the octane number of avgas being around 100. The numbers I got where taken from a PDF I had and where actually for a differant fuel.

Thanks for being man enough to check your sources and admit the mistake. Many around here would have begun a 50 page long BS session to cover for a mistaken post. You could have posted something like "well.... some experienced motor builders I talked to told me it was 93.5 octane, old braddy boy you must have inhaled too much leaded fuel!!":laugh:

Latest posts

Back