Leak on unlevel ground ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngzcaz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hmm.. apparently when you get off level w/ these things ( Huskee 27 ton splitter ) oil comes gushing out the filler nut. Thought I broke something at first but took it back to the garage, checked it out, started it on level ground and its fine. Fluid level is halfway between the marks so I guess I didn't lose as much as I thought.

Anyway if the fluid is free to out the hole in the fill nut whats keeping dirt from going in ?

:monkey:

QAnyway if the fluid is free to out the hole in the fill nut whats keeping dirt from going in ?Q

Nothing...... dirt, moisture, etc have a clear shot. The fill caps with a brillo pad mesh in them are not much better. Done that way because it is cheap to build.

See if you can run a hose up higher, then add an actual 10 micron breather element made for hydr tanks. They are common in 1/2 or 3/4 NPT threads. Or, a small auto oil filter. 3/4-16 threaded (ford chrysler) filters fit -08 JIC flare thread or -08 SAE o-ring thread. Both of those thread forms are 3/4-16 threads.
A standard hydr adaptor to those threads can be welded to a small bracket somethere and a spin on filter put onto it. The filter must NOT have an anti drain check valve in it, or air could go into the tank, but not come out.
I don't know the numbers that are without back checks, but I have used before as tank breathers, and as inlet filter on small air compressors. I think a HD motorcycle filter was 3/4-16 thread with no back check.

Ultimately a better breather is good for the system, but it still needs to be fairly level. If the breather is not at the highest point in the center of the tank, it will still get covered up when tank is tilted, and heating air or cylinder rod displacement will push out oil.

k

Last edited:
Does it spew fluid only when the fluid is hot? I have the same splitter and the fluid would get hot and start to foam up and do the same thing. Changed the fluid out to dex/merc 3 and no more leakage/burping. :)

Apparently there is a limit as to how much you can tilt these things. No problems before or after this incident. I'll be putting something ( maybe a foam air conditioner element around the nut just to keep larger debris from making its way to where it shouldn't be.

woodscrounge: be glad to post a pic...whenever I learn how to do so . Embarrassed that I haven't learned yet. My 6 year old grandson can do it. Maybe he'll teach grandpa how....

:monkey:

Yeah, thats a no brainer for in the future. I honestly didn't know about the weep hole in the nut. I thought the frame split for a second or two.

:agree2:

I got the same splitter, and dont have any problems. Do you have the nute wrapped in any type of sealing tape?The nut on mine is solid, no holes to speak of.
Is the fluid coming out between the threads?

If you look all the way around the nut, you'll probably find a small hole maybe 1/8 inch or so that goes all the way thru. I guess its a pressure relief type thing ? Anyway if the splitter is tilted pretty hard on the side of the nut the fluid will come out that hole but will run all day on level or semi level ground.

:)

Back