leaking Blitz fuel cans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadouthat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Walmart, the only fuel cans available anywhere locally are now the Blitz ones that leak like mad. They have no gaskets. Initially, they were only sold at Walmart, now nothing else is sold anywhere. There were many types that worked well but all had gaskets: Gott, Wedco, Igloo, worked fine. None any longer sold anywhere in AK so far as I can find.

Does Blitz or Walmart do any testing whatever? I note from a Google search that Blitz has cease and desist orders from a few years ago on some of their Jerry jugs. In that case they used gaskets, just not ones that worked.

In addition to leaking, the there is no 2.5 gallon can, just a weird one that is 2 gallons +?. It claim 2 gallons 8oz but is sure isn't.

I had this issue with a Blitz can once, and swore up and down at the can for a long time before I figured it out.

The reason it doesnt use a gasket it because its a compression fitting, much like a hydraulic fitting. Well, I guess one day I must have tightened the cap while the nozzle was cocked and it actually ruined the sealing surface on the nozzle. Had a little knick in it.

Dumped that can and got a new one and no problems since. I just make sure now when Im screwing the top on the nozzle is pushed down into the can throat.

I went through a couple leakers until I got a couple that work OK. Still not thrilled with them, especially in the larger sizes. The smaller 1-gallon size seems OK, though.

One of my new year's resolutions is to replace all my gas cans with Scepter 20L cans for bulk storage, and some of those 5L metal jerry cans for mix. I had one too many cans tip over in the trailer or just leak from bouncing this past year, and these replacements will seal up tight enough to be stored on their sides, upside down, whatever.

Those Blitz cans are a pain in the posterior. I don't put the nozzle in the stow position anymore. The design puts the stow position of the nozzle below the fuel level in the can. As the fuel heats up throughout the day, it pushes up out the inverted nozzle. Very poor design. The only reason I like plastic cans is because of the decreased risk of spark. A couple weeks ago I was at GI Joes and bought one of the moto-x fuel cans. More expensive. I'll see how I like it.

Similiar to this:
http://www.mud-throwers.com/inc/sdetail/154

I do like the clear spout so I can see the fuel.

Those Blitz cans are a pain in the posterior. I don't put the nozzle in the stow position anymore. The design puts the stow position of the nozzle below the fuel level in the can. As the fuel heats up throughout the day, it pushes up out the inverted nozzle. Very poor design. The only reason I like plastic cans is because of the decreased risk of spark. A couple weeks ago I was at GI Joes and bought one of the moto-x fuel cans. More expensive. I'll see how I like it.

Similiar to this:

those work great, just wished they made smaller ones.

the blitz cans suck. The good plastic ones were the old chilton ones...

My Dad worked as an engineer at rubbermaid for years. He was involved with a couple lawsuits and after those, all the major gas can companies quite making them due to lawsuit reasons.... it is amazing that it is rubbermaids fault that a plastic gas tank caught fire while sitting on top of a wood burning stove.... :monkey:

Needless to say, all the good ones are no longer made...

Here's my mix can I've had for about the last 15 years. I like it, it never leaks. It's pretty thick plastic. Made by Eagle. I only mix up a gallon at a time. Wish they made bigger ones and they might but I've never seen them locally.

Here's my mix can I've had for about the last 15 years. I like it, it never leaks. It's pretty thick plastic. Made by Eagle. I only mix up a gallon at a time. Wish they made bigger ones and they might but I've never seen them locally.

That's a great can. I use the same one. I also has two of the 2 1/2 gallon size that I bought many years ago. I gave one to my son.
They don't make them any more as far as I know. I sure wish they did because everything I have bought since then are terrible.

Similiar to this:

Is there less risk of spark in plastic cans? I thought it was the other way around. The plastic can create static electricity sparks because it will not ground itself. Metal does not create static unless it is sitting on a bedliner. At least that is what one of my firefighter friends told me. I don't know for sure. Either way I like the fact that a metal can won't melt immediately if it does catch on fire.

Spark from impact. Same reason tools for volitile fuel environments are made of brass or some other non-ferrous material.

Ever notice fuel cell for motorsports? aluminimuminuminum or plastic even though steel may be cheaper to produce.

My friend lost his little girl in a fire because a Blitz can sprayed fuel all over.

Get something different, order online if you have to.

I've got three..... a one gallon, a two gallon, and a five gallon. I've never had a problem with any of them. I don't use as much fuel as you guys I'd imagine, but I fill my one gallon can about 5 times a year, my two gallon can twice and my 5 gallon can once.

Back