leaky fuel tank: proper sealant/repair ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Father-in-law is a former transmission mechanic, so when he says he can't fix it, I know it is not a simple leaky line. He states that it is in a METAL fuel tank (this must be an old saw) that is leaking on the seam.

He tells me he has tried to solder it, then JB weld it, and reports that the only place it leaks now is some part near the handle that he can't get to.

When I posted this thread, I had not been given all the details; I was presuming that it was a plastic fuel tank. Not the case!

Now I am thinking this should be easy. On the other hand, he is a pretty capable old coot, so I know it won't be a walk in the park to seal if he didn't get it done. BTW, he has it all removed for ease of repair, so I know he has everything removed for best access.

ProPoxy 20
plumbing supply store..
will even fix it while gas is still leaking out..
will hold up to 14lbs pressure..
i have used it..

To get JB Weld to hold the metal surfaces must be completely oil free, drain the tank and wash it out with something like naptha to get rid of the oil in the tank, sand the metal clean and then clean well with acetone or brake cleaner, let dry and then apply JB weld, even better if the crack or joint can be grooved to allow a little more surface area to be contacted with the JB weld.
Pioneerguy600

Again,propoxy 20.
had a friend pull in with gas leaking out of his bike tank,took a rag and wiped the area and kneeded up this stuff and pressed it on..leak stopped imediatelly and 20 min later away he went..lasted the next FIVE years untill he sold the bike..
here is more info..

" Pro Poxy 20 Epoxy Putty makes steel-reinforced repairs in just 20 minutes. Seals, mends, bonds, and repairs almost anything -- even under water. Pro Poxy is a pre-measured, single stick, two-part epoxy compound. Pro Poxy mixes quickly and easily and adheres to metals, masonry, wood, glass, ceramics and some plastics. Can be applied to damp or wet surfaces. Pro Poxy withstands temperatures to 300º F. Resistant to many acids, caustics, fuel oil gasoline and other solvents. Compression strength 18,000 psi, tensile strength 6,000 psi. When cured in 20 minutes, Pro Poxy may be drilled, sanded, filed and painted. Pro Poxy 20 is dark gray/black epoxy resin that drys gray. Pro Poxy conforms to NSF Standard 61 and is safe for use with potable water. "

I have used this stuff to fix things for years..it sounds like snake oil but it works..and a $9 tube will last for years..Jb weld dont EVEN come close to this stuff..

That stuff sure looks like it would solve a leaky gas tank. Kinda pricey.

I'm thinking 18.95 aint a whole lot of money to fix a tank thats no longer available new (and would cost you well over a hundred bucks if it were) and pretty much non-exsistant used.

And not that you need to, but that 1 pint will coat about 5 saw tanks. :cheers:

I'm thinking 18.95 aint a whole lot of money to fix a tank thats no longer available new (and would cost you well over a hundred bucks if it were) and pretty much non-exsistant used.

And not that you need to, but that 1 pint will coat about 5 saw tanks. :cheers:

I was thinking that with the propoxy on the outside sanded down nice and painted and the sealer on the inside would make a pretty much bullet proof repair ??..
then plenty of epoxy for other projects and tank sealer for future saw projects..the posative attributes of both would compliment each other nicely to make a complete solution to the problem..

That does sound like a solution guys. Hit it from both sides!

I sold that saw to him last year, mostly because he's a great guy. If I had done my research, and realized what a good saw the 038 was, I probably would have selfishly kept it.

I think I sold it for only $100!
[I couldn't loose on the deal, even if I just gave it to him. He is always picking up my kids and toting them somewhere.]

Back