Leaning drake elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LLJ

Reaction score
We have a beautiful drake elm that is in need of pruning. Unfortunately it was planted when the house was first built and survived a hurricane as a young tree but was left listing to one side. When we bought the house it was staked with rope to try to either straighten it or prevent it from leaning more. That really didn't help. The community does not allow removal of certain trees and we were in town intermittently so we weren't able to deal with it. It is now big and beautiful but I'm worried about how pruning will go and how pruning might affect the angle of the trunk. It's gotten very wide side to side when looking at it while facing the house. Do you have any advice on pruning as we search for a local arborist?

Attachments

• 20210421_160239.jpg
    20210421_160239.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
It has gotten very wide and is starting to overhang our garage roof on one side and a neighbor's palm tree on the other side.

Tipping back the crown to reduce limb length for clearance to buildings and neighbors is appropriate. A skilled licensed arborist can accomplish this goal without devaluing your elm. Avoid the guys that say they can cut the tree back to X ft. I've seen way too many trees hacked back to stubs. Also talk to your arborist about the trees main crotch it may be a candidate for a cable support.

Tipping back the crown to reduce limb length for clearance to buildings and neighbors is appropriate. A skilled licensed arborist can accomplish this goal without devaluing your elm. Avoid the guys that say they can cut the tree back to X ft. I've seen way too many trees hacked back to stubs. Also talk to your arborist about the trees main crotch it may be a candidate for a cable support.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back