Learning the Hard way at milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well,
I attempted to do some milling today. I do not have pics, and I wouldn't post them if i did. Had big plans to get lots done after a morning of trout fishing. Planned to do a few small ash logs, and some Hickory that I had staged and ready from a few months ago. I used my Haddon lumber maker to make cants, then Switched to the Alaskan to finish them off. Well, my 2x6 to guide the haddon, was pretty warped and twisted. I figured I'd be able to straighten it out while affixing it to the log. Thought I did an ok job, but upon switching to the alaskan, the twists showed their ugly head. I've heard people talk before about the bar diving while cutting with the alaskan, and binding. Well, I'm gonna say it was most likely the result of a twisted first cut. The somewhat small twists in the first cut, really just compounded and I found the bar diving and binding. In addition, it was really hard on the saw. The saw would almost pulse, as it would hit voids, then bind. I will definately get away from using the 2x6, and make a metal guide rail out of some angle iron. Well, atleast I learned my while doing some smaller logs. If I had Butcher some nice big logs, like I did these, I'd really have been Pi$$ed. On the bright side, It was a really nice morning trout fishing on the lake. :monkey:

If you have to use lumber, get treated lumber. I've always found it to be much straighter.

Don't know if it would be straight enough for milling, though. As I've been looking into milling, that has always seemed to me to be the weak spot - getting that guide bar straight.

As posted here numerous times, I cheat and use the 2x6 aluminum guides that came with my Ripsaw. Dead strait and easily attachable to the log. Pricey to buy by themselves though. The downside also is that they are only 6 inches wide. If I am careful and adjust for it though, have had no problem keeping the csm level even on wide 29 inch cuts.
csm1.jpg

As for your diving into the log 00juice... keep in mind that if the chain is not sharpened correctly, that is one of the consequences as the saw tends to cut more on one side of the bar than the other. Before I bought my sharpener, when I would file by hand I had a slight tendency to file the one side a tad more than the other. No problems when sharp but as the chain got dull, the saw would start to cut to the left. When milling of course, thats a recipe for disaster. Not saying that is your problem, but something to be aware of.

As posted here numerous times, I cheat and use the 2x6 aluminum guides that came with my Ripsaw. Dead strait and easily attachable to the log. Pricey to buy by themselves though. The downside also is that they are only 6 inches wide. If I am careful and adjust for it though, have had no problem keeping the csm level even on wide 29 inch cuts.
csm1.jpg

As for your diving into the log 00juice... keep in mind that if the chain is not sharpened correctly, that is one of the consequences as the saw tends to cut more on one side of the bar than the other. Before I bought my sharpener, when I would file by hand I had a slight tendency to file the one side a tad more than the other. No problems when sharp but as the chain got dull, the saw would start to cut to the left. When milling of course, thats a recipe for disaster. Not saying that is your problem, but something to be aware of.

good points and nice pic. I have used a 2 x 6 many times to make the 1st cut, always without issue. I like the aluminum rail you use and may have to look into getting one. I can't sharpen by hand to save my life, so I rely on my sharpener. I have found many times while resharpening that one tooth must have struck something and I didn't know it. It will be shorter than the rest, and I always use my sharpener. I think for milling an electric sharpener is the way to go

Thanks!!!

I've been doing alot of searches on milling as a hobby but don't see the need to invest $600-$1000 for a "milling saw".Haven't ordered a mill yet but it seems that Alaskan is the way to go.Just wanted to say thanks to Stonykill and all you other pros for the advice and info. you provide on here...THANKYA' MUCH!!!

As posted here numerous times, I cheat and use the 2x6 aluminum guides that came with my Ripsaw. Dead strait and easily attachable to the log. Pricey to buy by themselves though.

Good stuff, woodshop. Where did you get it and how much?

The downside also is that they are only 6 inches wide.

Hmmm. I'm not good at higher math functions, like counting to 6, but that sounds suspiciously like the 2x6 he was using to start with. :laugh:

Normally, I'd use an aluminum ladder or uni-strut to maake the first cut with the alaskan. I've always had very good success. I figured using my Haddon for the first cut is alot faster. For those that don't know, the haddon is like a beam machine. My 2x6 was straight when I bought it several months ago, but a winter of sitting in the shed, and it is now very twisted and bowed. I was also using bailey's low-profile ripping chain for the first time, so it was brand new. My 066 with 20" bar went throught the ash like warm butter. I couldn't believe how quickly it cut. The only thing I'll say is it seemed to dull alot faster. Granted I was also using a shorter bar than normal, which means few cutters are doing the same job.

I've been doing alot of searches on milling as a hobby but don't see the need to invest $600-$1000 for a "milling saw".Haven't ordered a mill yet but it seems that Alaskan is the way to go.Just wanted to say thanks to Stonykill and all you other pros for the advice and info. you provide on here...THANKYA' MUCH!!!

while I appreciate the "pro " comment, I'm sure I'm not alone in stating that none of us are pros at milling. Every log is a new learning experience. I try to share mine as woodshop and many others do here. Ohhh, and you're welcome!!!:rock:

while I appreciate the "pro " comment, I'm sure I'm not alone in stating that none of us are pros at milling. Every log is a new learning experience. I try to share mine as woodshop and many others do here. Ohhh, and you're welcome!!!:rock:

Every tree is a new challenge. Fortunately the learning curve is pretty steep, and there are guys here to make it even steeper. Even so, the learning never ends.

Mark

Latest posts

Back