Leg Guards? How About These?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition to all the other comments.

I have never tried wearing a pair of those but from watching catchers, etc they look like they would be...welll....err.. clumsy and bulky. Chaps on the other hand aren't even noticeable once you start wearing them.

Harry K

In addition to all the other comments.

I have never tried wearing a pair of those but from watching catchers, etc they look like they would be...welll....err.. clumsy and bulky. Chaps on the other hand aren't even noticeable once you start wearing them.

Harry K

+1

just a few things, first to the thread starter: don't reinvent the wheel, chaps are specifically designed to stop a very fast sharp chainsaw chain from removing parts of your body that, in hindsight, you would have rather kept intact.

and I've seen a good many chainsaw cuts over the (20) years and I never saw anthing that looked like that cut. I may be wrong, but thats no chinsaw cut to me. the ripping and shredding looks more like a combine accident where many tines grab and rip and shred the meat. a chainsaw is more of a cut/rip that ends up going sideways (usually) and cuts a flap. hard to describe, but its more of a straight in type cut with ragged edges, not a total destruction of a 12" swath down to 3 inches deep.
but hey, I wasn't there, so I could be wrong, but thats not a typical looking chainsaw cut.
-Ralph

just a few things, first to the thread starter: don't reinvent the wheel, chaps are specifically designed to stop a very fast sharp chainsaw chain from removing parts of your body that, in hindsight, you would have rather kept intact.

and I've seen a good many chainsaw cuts over the (20) years and I never saw anthing that looked like that cut. I may be wrong, but thats no chinsaw cut to me. the ripping and shredding looks more like a combine accident where many tines grab and rip and shred the meat. a chainsaw is more of a cut/rip that ends up going sideways (usually) and cuts a flap. hard to describe, but its more of a straight in type cut with ragged edges, not a total destruction of a 12" swath down to 3 inches deep.
but hey, I wasn't there, so I could be wrong, but thats not a typical looking chainsaw cut.
-Ralph

I felt for to say somethings. That you say, it's all that I have ment and learned.
I started with a handsaw. Now it is chainsaw, of course. I have also learned a lot of SawTroll. But I said NO to use any chainsaw without PPE. We both use PPE.
I hope all would do it.

Last edited:

I've never seen a chainsaw cut, so I'm only speculating here. Could this have been the result of a trip & fall scenario where the chain swept along the shin? As opposed to (what I presume is) the more usual cut where the chain is moving more directly into the leg?

I've never seen a chainsaw cut, so I'm only speculating here. Could this have been the result of a trip & fall scenario where the chain swept along the shin? As opposed to (what I presume is) the more usual cut where the chain is moving more directly into the leg?

I know a lot about that, I know people who been cut badly. An older girlfriend of me cut off to and a half finger. She was lucky, was "only" the fingers. But she live all her life with "fantom" pains.

You shall have all the respect for the chainsaw, all happend so fast so you don't understand it. Take care!

Within a relatively short period of time, a good buddy, and my airplane mechanic/partner, was running his drill press in his shop and blew off putting on his glasses as it was just a quick hole to drill. Naturally, that was the time a sliver of steel went into his eye. They saved the eye, with some significant recovery time. Said it was the most painful thing he'd experienced. Another buddy was readying his forty-foot flat bed to haul some hay, stepped on a 2 x 6 board in the floor of the trailer, it flipped up, hit him in the face, shattered his nasal bones and the doc said he very nearly died, millimeters away from bones being shoved into his brain. He was just walking along the bed of the trailer and knew there was a loosened board he had never had an hour to fix. An work aquaintance was trimming limbs with his chainsaw, thing kicked back and took out a portion of his face. Several years of rehab' and they saved his eye, put it back in and he can see though his face is crooked. All these guys were, to my thinking, normally very conscientious. As I figured I was. I went out and got some chaps to add to my protective clothing [can't say why I never had before]. I wear them religiously when running the saw. I'm not saying chaps would've done anything for these incidents, but I figured I was probably next. Between the tractor and chainsaw and airplane and motorcycle and everything else I do.....

I know a lot about that, I know people who been cut badly. An older girlfriend of me cut off to and a half finger. She was lucky, was "only" the fingers. But she live all her life with "fantom" pains.

You shall have all the respect for the chainsaw, all happend so fast so you don't understand it. Take care!

Should read two, and a halv fingers......

I also took note of that, we need an explanation or elaboration about that wound......

allright allright...... i was trying to make a point about wearing chainsaw PPE.

seeing as a few of you have noticed it.......that pic is from a "staged" trauma training course. The injury was simulated by a special FX/makeup crew with cheescake, twinkies, stage blood, and gelatin. The wound was staged to look like a saw user that fell onto his sawbar while still holding the trigger, hence the "cut and sweep" nature of the injury.

Again, sorry to do it, but i was trying to convince the Original Poster that chainsaw PPE is the only acceptable PPE for running a saw/brushcutter, instead of sports gear). ;)

sometimes a little gore (and i aint talking about that hypocrite AL) is needed to impress the need for PROPER safety gear.

slag away at me for fooling some of ya, its all good. :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
Ha! Good effort..... I agree, the need for ppe can't be pushed enough. I've seen the inside of my left hand.

A good friend of mine was helping push over a tree while it was being cut, the saw kicked out and hit him in the shin, gave him another knee.

I don't blame you for trying to drive home a point.!!!:cheers:

from what I've seen, no. it would enter and skin a body part, hence my "cut a flap" comment. even a saw too dull to cut wood properly has no trouble with flesh and bone.
for that F/X staged pic, imo, the saw would have entered and traveled upward removing the kneecap and continue on into the quads where it would probably come out, removing the kneecap and a large chunk (flap) of meat and hide.

but I agree with SRT too, ok, it was staged, but it was staged and summarily posted here with the very good intention of making someone realize the severity of what could happen, if that makes 100 people mad and saves one guy from a life altering injury, it's worth it imo.
-Ralph

from what I've seen, no. it would enter and skin a body part, hence my "cut a flap" comment. even a saw too dull to cut wood properly has no trouble with flesh and bone.
for that F/X staged pic, imo, the saw would have entered and traveled upward removing the kneecap and continue on into the quads where it would probably come out, removing the kneecap and a large chunk (flap) of meat and hide.

but I agree with SRT too, ok, it was staged, but it was staged and summarily posted here with the very good intention of making someone realize the severity of what could happen, if that makes 100 people mad and saves one guy from a life altering injury, it's worth it imo.
-Ralph

So true.

allright allright...... i was trying to make a point about wearing chainsaw PPE.

seeing as a few of you have noticed it.......that pic is from a "staged" trauma training course. The injury was simulated by a special FX/makeup crew with cheescake, twinkies, stage blood, and gelatin. The wound was staged to look like a saw user that fell onto his sawbar while still holding the trigger, hence the "cut and sweep" nature of the injury.

Again, sorry to do it, but i was trying to convince the Original Poster that chainsaw PPE is the only acceptable PPE for running a saw/brushcutter, instead of sports gear). ;)

sometimes a little gore (and i aint talking about that hypocrite AL) is needed to impress the need for PROPER safety gear.

slag away at me for fooling some of ya, its all good. :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Yea, I thought it looked a little suspicious that the fake bright red stuff made such a nice neat straight swath above the injury just below the zip-off running pants. I was starting to think that guys out there forget baseball catcher's gear and just use lightweight nylon zip ups after masking off an area they are about to cut up.;) Anyhow, you did have me going for a while. Reminds me of a repulsive pic that I used to carry around of me laying in the lawn w/a hand missing. Used ketchup instead of stage blood. But your twinkies made a repulsively good impression on everyone.

Anyhow, back on topic. You guys don't have to convince of the need for safety eqt. in case nobody went back to pg. 1 to read before posting. I'm looking for the best chaps. However, I've still not been able to locate info hear or elsewhere on what would work for part II of my question?

A pg. one post:
" I was looking for something that might do double duty for use with a brush blade AND chainsaw, but am guessing that they would work off of different principles."

Since then I've said that I'll need to get TWO pairs of safety chaps, One for the chain saw, and another for the brush "circular saw" near my feet. Times I'll need both at the same time.

The stories, pics and all are fine, but nobody has convinced me that chainsaw chaps are going to work any better than thick plastic for slowing down, or deflecting a whirling blade at the end of a big "weed-eater". Even with the handlebar hooked to my harness, the blade sometimes glances off of saplings extremely fast and near enough to the legs to cause another pic to go up here someday. I don't know that such a large diameter blade will get clogged up by fibers, since it happens all the time anyhow w/vegetation and tall grass without stopping. Surely there's someone here that uses that kind of a blade and has appropriate safety eqt. for it?!?

For those who mentioned what you recommend as the best saw chaps, THANKS! So far it looks like Elvex, and Labonville full wraps. Oh yea. In SRT's sig you mention 9 layer Loggerkings. Are those everybodies' favorites?

Last edited:
Back