Lennox Montecito zero clearance slowwwwww install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble with Lennox dealers installing their fireplace? Does it normally take over 1.5 months? Do the installers usually call the customer to get the chimney measurements after they were measured for by idiot installer? Do the installers install fireplace wrong per specs and then cause the warranty to be null and void?
Biggest question:How do you trust the installers when they are too stupid to follow directions and the install directions just give do's & don'ts.

I have been waiting since 12/16/08 to get fireplace installed. :jawdrop: They saw that a truss was in the way of the chimney, said no problem, yet they ordered straight pipes. They came to install those on 12/26/08 and then said they would order new pipes for the next week. Last Monday they called and asked how long pipes I needed, they never ordered them!
Now the offset is jeapordizing the gravity air vents. They made the opening larger when it met specs. They want to install the gravity air register at a lower than specified height, Lennox says absolutely NOT. They keep on ordering wrong pipes and delaying the install.
At this point I do NOT trust them to install the fireplace correctly, but it will cost us much more to change installers and permits. It would cost even more to rip it out and return the thing for a different fireplace!

Now the marble guys and contractor who will finish the chase are calling me trying to get info on when they will get paid to end their work!

I think I would run them people off and tell them to take their stuff with them.

When I was building my house I had to run off the tile guy because It was taking to darn long and the guy would'nt show up half the time. And another time I had a contractor build my pole barn, when they poured the concrete they did not even screte it. It was all messed up and no fixing it. I told them to jack hammer it out and pour again and you will get paid or leave it and not get paid. He left and did not get paid.

I always hated dealing with contractors. It just seems alot of them just don't care and do crappy work. That is why I like to do most things myself when possible.

Good luck with those guys.

That's the same fireplace/wood stove that we are looking at getting installed this spring. Our dealer doesn't have an installer that he works with. He said that when we pick an installer, he will meet him out here and go over the requirements so they're on the same sheet of music. We're going to need an offset chimney also.

We're not getting the gravity vent, our dealer told us that unless you need the air blown into a room adjacent to the stove, it's kind of a waste of money. He also said that hot air rises to the ceiling bad enough as is so putting the output of the stove at eye level just makes that worse. You getting the blower on yours or just relying on the gravity vent to draw the air through? We're getting the blowers.

Good luck with your install, let us know how you like it.
Ian

I have the Lennox Villa Vista - very pleased with it. I have a friend who is a chimney sweep/mason who installed it for me. Check the yellow pages or ask others who have stoves to see if they can recommend someone. The dealer doesn't have a right to monopolize the install process. You'll probably find someone a lot more skilled and cheaper.

That's the same fireplace/wood stove that we are looking at getting installed this spring. Our dealer doesn't have an installer that he works with. He said that when we pick an installer, he will meet him out here and go over the requirements so they're on the same sheet of music. We're going to need an offset chimney also.

We're not getting the gravity vent, our dealer told us that unless you need the air blown into a room adjacent to the stove, it's kind of a waste of money. He also said that hot air rises to the ceiling bad enough as is so putting the output of the stove at eye level just makes that worse. You getting the blower on yours or just relying on the gravity vent to draw the air through? We're getting the blowers.

Good luck with your install, let us know how you like it.
Ian

We are having the gravity vents going into adjacent rooms, not the same room as the fireplace. The Montecito has the blower as a standard equipment. The owner/installer came to our house 2x the first time he tried to have us put in a different fireplace actually a stove that would have taken up too much room in our room. The 2nd time he came over was for the measurements which were all wrong also. Now, the insulated attic shield they ordered is only 3" tall but we have 16" of insulation to keep away from the pipe, so we will have a gap of insulation. More waiting for the correct shield:bang: :bang:

RCR,

I stopped into my Installers shop today, and asked about your install.

He(Brad Friedt) runs the Villa Vista, and has installed just about everything on the market.

He flat out told me that yours was a straight forward install, and any offset runs should be no problem.

It's a fair drive from Kalamazoo to your place, but I can vouch for Friedt Enterprises. He's sorta slow right now, so who knows.

I'd dump your installer for not planning ahead, and expecting you to half arse the attic.

For crying out loud, if they install the things, they might want to have some inventory laying around.... they might need it.:dizzy:

Good luck to ya!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Dealers in our area will not touch the fireplace unless I bought it from them, which is understandable.:cry: One installer said he would do it if I cancel the install and send everything (Chimney pipes,etc) back to the 1st installer) since those have not been paid for yet. Nor will they until they are installed and inspected.
A new permit would have to be issued if a new installer is used. We are forced at this time to wait for the pipes to come in (on factory backorder) and have the first installer/owners try again, if they fail since they never measured correctly even after seeing it wrong. I had to phone in the lengths of the gravity pipe they needed not knowing the dimensions of the elbows so I do NOT expect success from them. It is bye,bye.

Lennox response

Lennox says there is a backorder on 45 degree elbows for the gravity kit. so, at least another week for those to arrive!
I still do NOT see the thing installed though since I had to measure for the gravity vent pipes without even knowing the dimensions of the elbows.

I guess I will be storing all that wood I have in the attached garage thru the summer, I did not want to do that in case of insects in the wood.

Latest posts

Back