Let's be real here; fundamentals= safe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burvol

Bullbuck
Reaction score
As I hunt and peck this with one hand, I would like to share my 2 cents on safety and production in terms of log cutting. At 8:30 this morning I was cutting in a nice strip of slick big pine, more or less as far west as you'll see it here, really nice wood growing smack dab in the middle of a gorgeous stand of fir. I came to a heavy leaner that needed to be worked on from the left shoulder to the tree. I decided to strap it to prevent stump pull. I faced it, then instead of flipping my saw over like I should have, I began to bore in my strap backbar; JUST ASKING for it like that. Yes, i have done it a million times and it is jumpy. This time I hit a hard knot in the butt and the saw jumped out fast, so fast I just remember putting my hand up to keep it off my torso. I got cut all the way down my pinky from nail to back of hand, and around to the bottom, left with a bonless, skinless strip of meat. LOL Hungry? I just got home from the ER and took a friggin pile of stitches in my hand and tendon. Finger looks hideuos. Also cut my bone, got a fracture to boot.

Just wanted to say be safe and stick to what works. I KNOW BETTER. Flip my saw around and hot bar in, probably would not have happened. be careful all you bore cut freaks, most times it is totally unessacery. I have never claimed to be God's gift to log cutters, but I am a safe and productive timber faller. We deal with kickbacks and stuff like that all the time. The average AS'er does not. Who ever tells you to bore cut everything should be slapped. You're asking for it. There ARE times for it, but be wise about your choices.

Also, if you are going to get cut...sharp full comp square is probably gonna make your surgeon the cleanest meat to put back together ;)

Wow that sucks! I don't even know how bad that sucks! Do you mean you were plunging with the top of the bar by backbar? I'm not production, but I cut a lot of hardwood, doing a lot of land clearing and more often than not cutting dead and hazard trees. I only bore when I have to and I've had em snap back out on me on several occasions. Never had an injury worth a hospital trip, but I'm also not out there day in day out like you production boys. I spend maybe a cumulative four months out of the year felling and cutting up. I've had some close ones and its always been when letting my guard down. Glad you are ok for the most part. I just read in someones post that you are on top of your game and know what the hell your talking about. I guess it goes to show you that Sh$t happens and it will.

As I hunt and peck this with one hand, I would like to share my 2 cents on safety and production in terms of log cutting. At 8:30 this morning I was cutting in a nice strip of slick big pine, more or less as far west as you'll see it here, really nice wood growing smack dab in the middle of a gorgeous stand of fir. I came to a heavy leaner that needed to be worked on from the left shoulder to the tree. I decided to strap it to prevent stump pull. I faced it, then instead of flipping my saw over like I should have, I began to bore in my strap backbar; JUST ASKING for it like that. Yes, i have done it a million times and it is jumpy. This time I hit a hard knot in the butt and the saw jumped out fast, so fast I just remember putting my hand up to keep it off my torso. I got cut all the way down my pinky from nail to back of hand, and around to the bottom, left with a bonless, skinless strip of meat. LOL Hungry? I just got home from the ER and took a friggin pile of stitches in my hand and tendon. Finger looks hideuos. Also cut my bone, got a fracture to boot.

Just wanted to say be safe and stick to what works. I KNOW BETTER. Flip my saw around and hot bar in, probably would not have happened. be careful all you bore cut freaks, most times it is totally unessacery. I have never claimed to be God's gift to log cutters, but I am a safe and productive timber faller. We deal with kickbacks and stuff like that all the time. The average AS'er does not. Who ever tells you to bore cut everything should be slapped. You're asking for it. There ARE times for it, but be wise about your choices.

Also, if you are going to get cut...sharp full comp square is probably gonna make your surgeon the cleanest meat to put back together ;)

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are back at it soon.
Things happen quick.

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully it wont be too long before you are back at it. Unfortunately just another timber faller wound that will haunt you later in life. It is amazing how fast something like that can happen! Thanks for sharing and good luck on your recovery!

It must be Stihl square full comp if it's sharp. Luckily you weren't using Orygun chain.

Wow. Glad you are all in one piece! Don't chew on yer stiches or you'll have to wear one of those collar things.:) Heal up quickly, and I sure appreciate your hints. I'll let the saw gurus know about square file chain and chainsaw cuts. :):)

Wow man, I'm sorry to hear about this. What a bad day! I hope it heals fast and doesn't leave you too bunged up.

Yeah lengthwise cuts are clean with square ground chain, crosscuts in flesh are hamburger no matter what kind of chain is used. I've got a hamburger scar across my right bicep as proof.

Good lesson....glad you didn't get hurt any worse. What did your Dad have to say?

You know what he said Bob? Quick ####in' around and make stumps. You 2 would get along great, I know it. That's why you buy those damn hopped up saws he says, to rip em' off the stump. I said, yes.

A raised backcut and a small scarf will almost achieve the same thing. I love that technique in big wood. When you flush your butt, all you have to do is cut off the tab it makes, and the scarf is gone too. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Plus, you have better control and wood usually comes out of the stump.

Wow man, I'm sorry to hear about this. What a bad day! I hope it heals fast and doesn't leave you too bunged up.

Yeah lengthwise cuts are clean with square ground chain, crosscuts in flesh are hamburger no matter what kind of chain is used. I've got a hamburger scar across my right bicep as proof.

How did you do that? That's another not so common area to cut. That chain was Stihl chain actually, and had one tree on it, sharp as hell.

Last edited:

Real sorry to hear about your unfortunate mishap. Thanks for sharing the details with us. If anything it is a reminder to to the rest of us to be more cautious no matter what level of expertise we have. Only takes a fraction of a second for real bad #### to happen! As for myself...it seems like bad things usually happen to me whenever I get in a hurry.

Hope you get well quick. Those things happen so fast. I cut my finger once too. My glove went red instantly! Almost made me throw up! I didn't want to look. It ended up being not so bad, I was lucky. It's great of you to share what happened, hopefully it will help others. Take care.

Latest posts

Back