let's design wood hauling trailer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
046 said:
anyone using homemade trailers for hauling wood?

Heres mine.....

attachment.php

Just over a full chord of white oak and white ash.

The entire trailer is built from 2x3x3/16 tubing. 3500# axle and 15" tires and wheels.

EDIT: My calcs were wrong, its just UNDER a full chord. Trailer has approx 100CF capacity.

Last edited:
I have a homemade trailer thats a truck frame thats been cut in half, and brought together upfront for a ball hitch. The bed is from a chevy s10. I take it behind my tractor everywhere I go. I have had about 1/2 cord of locust in the back of it. Thats a $hitload of weight. I also have a full frame from an old 1 ton truck with 1 axle underneath it. Im thinking of modifying it for a wood trailer. I want to make sure though to keep the tounge weight in mind when loading it. The frame I have is probably 10 feet long. I thought of having it haul logs out of the woods.

casey, did you install brakes?

got a 12ft tandem axle home made trailer located, but no brakes.
one axle is 5 lug, other is 6 lug. solidly over built with expanded metal floor, but thought of chasing down brakes and new axle is making this not worth it.

he's only asking $400, but after factoring in all new tires, rims, axle, brakes , lights, etc. it's no longer a bargain.

046 said:
casey, did you install brakes?

got a 12ft tandem axle home made trailer located, but no brakes.
one axle is 5 lug, other is 6 lug. solidly over built with expanded metal floor, but thought of chasing down brakes and new axle is making this not worth it.

he's only asking $400, but after factoring in all new tires, rims, axle, brakes , lights, etc. it's no longer a bargain.

No brakes. The axle has the backing plate if I ever want to put some on, but I rarely have this much weight in it.

That trailer may still be a bargain. 1 3500# axle costs under $200 at local Farm store, and thats a dexter axle. I got both my trailer tires and wheels for $150 out the door. Not sure what complete brake set-ups cost per axle, I want to say like $70 per axle, so $140 total.

I over-did on my lights, I used all LEDS. But lighting and wiring a trailer really isnt that expensive money wise, just a bit of time.

thanks... I may go back and see if trailer is still there.

was thinking of ordering a custom trailer direct from a northern Texas mfg. they sell wholesale to public. you just drive down and pick up. http://www.candmtrailers.net/cm/index.html

since I'm in Okla., drive would be aprox. 200 miles one way.
figure it will cost aprox. $1,200-1,500 to have one spec'd out like I want it.

12ft or 16ft, tandem 5,000lb axles, brakes on both axles. medium height pipe sides or no sides allowing car hauling. 2in bulldog hitch, ramps,

they offer a tandem 3,500lb axle (brakes one axle), 16ft flat bed car hauler for $1,050. would only need to upgrade axles, brakes and wood sides to make a good wood hauling rig.

82" X18FT CAR HAULER WITH DOVE TAIL
5X3 FRAME,5 FT RAMPS IN CARRIER
2-3500# Dexter Axles.TEAR DROP FENDERS
COST $1050.00

tandem trailer.JPG

they offer a tandem 3,500lb axle (brakes one axle), 16ft flat bed car hauler for $1,050. would only need to upgrade axles, brakes and wood sides to make a good wood hauling rig.

82" X18FT CAR HAULER WITH DOVE TAIL
5X3 FRAME,5 FT RAMPS IN CARRIER
2-3500# Dexter Axles.TEAR DROP FENDERS
COST $1050.00

That sounds like a good deal. Maybe call them and price having them add those items.

Also, if you are looking for heavier axles, see if they offer torsion axles. They may cost a bit more, but they ride sweet.

I have been thinking of designs for a wood trailer, and something I would like to incorporate is a way to split the bed into sections that hold a rick, or face cord. Either drop in wooden slats or a gate that folds down into the floor of the bed. You pull up to customer #1, drop the gate, hit the hydraulic bed list, and he gets his rick. drive to customer #2, open the rear gate, drop the interior 1st gate, hit the hydraulic, and he gets his rick. On to cust #3 and repeat. 1 trip to town. 3 loads dropped. It would work for folks who buy in smaller quantities in town a lot.

Currently I switch between my old beater 4x8 trailer that holds about rick before she bottoms out and my 16' flat bed that will hold 7000#. I put 2' wooden sides on it so I dont have to worry about securing the load or having stuff fall off on the way home.

I have a very heavy duty 8' x 16' x 30" sides dual axle trailer with brakes on the front axle. The trailer has 3500lb Dexter axles with 15" tires. If I had to make it all over again, I would use 5000lb axles and 16" tires. The trailer weighs about 1600lbs empty and I have went across the scales loaded at 9780lbs... LOL. The worst part about the entire thing is the load rating available on 15" tires.... I have never had a problem and always carry 2 spare tires and wheels. The tail gate is made out of 2" x 8"s and hinges with a prop at back. This allows me to roll large rounds off the trailer right onto the splitter.... :) What a back saver! I will post photos later if anyone is interested.

just talked to C&M trailers. they want $1,100 extra for tandem 5,000lb axles. that price above is for dealers only for lots of 6.

for a 12ft tandem 3,500lb axle trailer base price is $775 + $50 pipe top, $120 ramp, $240 for dual brakes. add $1,100 for 5,000lb axles w/new tires. base price for 16ft pipe top is $950

When loaded... I have looked under the trailer at the axles..... I no longer do it because of how much they were bowed.... I don't know what is normal...but they sure as heck were working hard...lol I have loaded the trailer FULL with white ash longs 20" x 8ft long , 4 across, 3 high and 2 deep for a total of 24 8ft logs. It towed like a champ, but the tires look like there gonna pop.
Maybe you can get 3500lb axles with hubs to accept 16 inch wheels. If the trailer manufacture tells you no, call Dexter customer service and ask them. Tell them its for clearance over rough ground.

i've got a wood hauling trailer.

8 wide, 16 long, 4 feet tall. sits above the pair of 8k axles.

scissor dump.

gooseneck.

I can back it ANYWHERE, she tows nice, and it fits a fair amount of wood.

WoodTick007 said:
When loaded... I have looked under the trailer at the axles..... I no longer do it because of how much they were bowed.... I don't know what is normal...but they sure as heck were working hard...lol I have loaded the trailer FULL with white ash longs 20" x 8ft long , 4 across, 3 high and 2 deep for a total of 24 8ft logs. It towed like a champ, but the tires look like there gonna pop.
Maybe you can get 3500lb axles with hubs to accept 16 inch wheels. If the trailer manufacture tells you no, call Dexter customer service and ask them. Tell them its for clearance over rough ground.

Working hard ya say? You only had about 16,000 lbs of wood on the trailer. I bet bowed is an understatement.:biggrinbounce2:

Back