Let's see some of your milling....from the past!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
Was looking at some of the pieces I had milled(chainsaw) and really had big plans for until I sold them for way too cheap to fund other 'toys'. Here are a few from my past, all milled with my Stihl 064 and Alaskan Mini Mill:

Pignut Hickory

American Sweetgum

inclusion White Oak

backbone Black Walnut

Not one of these pieces paid anymore then $30.00, insanity is my best friend. I just hope they ended up being something great for the fellas that drove away with them!

Let see what you gave away?

Scott (there are no pills for me) B

I sold some bad ass cherry burls for 10 bucks a pop and they were nice specimens, some 20" across and 2' long. I didn't want to handle them twice and had firewood to deliver. I moved some spalted boxelder for pennies because I wanted to try my new mill out.
I milled a nice pawlonia for my uncle for nothing but his friendship, which we all know is priceless

I traded 2 of these slabs for a days work milling a big ash. The same day I sold 2 more for 200. I left the homeowner some of that just because I was selling wood in front of her house. Seemed like the right thing to do. The rest I ended up trading for a chainsaw. I kept two smaller pieces one I made a desk and the other is still in the shop.113.JPG 070.JPGDSCN6436.JPG
This log I split with the owner. What a bad deal. Bust my butt and give half away. Never again.
butternut2.jpgbutternut.jpg
This swamp maple was the best I ever milled. Actually first log I ever milled. It made me money every time. 30-40 dollars every single piece. I think most of the slabs I had were in the $100-200 range and then there was this soft maple for $30 so everyone would take a piece of it home. maple logs 013.jpgmaple logs 016.jpgmaple logs 005.jpg

Oh this was my first paying job. Maybe my fifth log. I drove like a hour and a half. I got there an was supposed to be a 36 inch log. ended up being 55inches. Full of dirt and stone pockets. I did the best I could and only got half way through it. The guy paid me for the day and I was pretty happy with what he paid me. I came back for a second day and finished the log and he decided to pay me less then the day before. He said I spent most of the day sharpening my chains. Because of his dirty log. Very irritated. That was the last time I milled hourly.

I hope powder post beetles ate the whole thing. Hard maple burl

DSCN0279.JPG

Oh this was my first paying job. Maybe my fifth log. I drove like a hour and a half. I got there an was supposed to be a 36 inch log. ended up being 55inches......Because of his dirty log. Very irritated. That was the last time I milled hourly.

I hope powder post beetles ate the whole thing. Hard maple burl

That is some beautiful stuff! And at 55" damnnn...

394xp w/ 33" & 42" Bars - Full Comp Full Chisel - 36" Granberg Alaskan Mill
455 Rancher w/ 20" Bar - Semi Chisel
Husqvarna Forestry Helmet & Full Wrap Chaps

Here's a selection from 2007/8

Apricot - also smelled strongly of apricot while I was milling it
Aprigrain.jpg

Queensland Box Tree
Grain1.jpg

Western Australian Red Gum (the "red" in the name is not for the wood but the deep red Resin pockets)
firstcut2.jpg

Western Australian Sheoak
suface2.jpg

Fiddleback Marri
fiddle.jpg

Flooded Gum
grain2.jpg

Blue Tipped Jarrah
grain1.jpg

This camphor laurel was cut down from a school yard
DSC_0034.JPG

I scanned it with a metal detector, there was so much metal in there it was impossible to pinpoint but it was decided to go ahead with the milling
DSC_0036.JPG

The first cut went well
DSC_0040.JPG

as it came closer to the center the rot began to show its self
DSC_0064.JPG
the black stains show some of what the detector was singing about but the wood has a nice pattern through it
DSC_0047.JPG

At the end of the day the remaining log had big black cavities filled with water and more singing from the metal detector. That rot in the top right was just the beginning, in there some big pieces of metal had been engulfed by the tree and time was dissolving them. I don't think any one wants to mill through anything like that, specially after the money we spend on our milling setups and saws.
DSC_0045.JPG
DSC_0057.JPG

Some nice slabs came out. For the trouble the owner went to salvaging the log and the yield was questionable but he seemed happy. Some weight in the slabs

Attachments

• DSC_0064.JPG
    DSC_0064.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 5
Back