Lets see some pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
post your pics of your setups. Mine is a johnson energy systems j-7900 wood/coal furnace. 6" stove pipe exaust to 6x10" stainless flue liner chimney. Two 8" heat supply pipes come out of it, one into the ductwork plenum and the other empties into the basement currently. Id like to see some setups you guys are running. This is my first at burning wood so im just learning.Feel free to suggest pointers, as i said im learning.

2012-01-01_17-16-04_220.jpg

ResizedImage_1325691674770.jpg

2012-01-01_17-15-52_643.jpg

ResizedImage_1325691809283.jpg

Last edited:
I have the exact same furnace, not the most effecient but it throws out the heat. Nice setup. how many square feet are you heating? i have an early 1900's home 2000 square foot home not insulated the best, sitting in the middle of a corn field and it keeps the house 79-81 with the door on low setting. we use window-stats to control the temp!!! it was down in the teens with 20-30 wind gust and it was still 75 in the house.

I have the exact same furnace, not the most effecient but it throws out the heat. Nice setup. how many square feet are you heating? i have an early 1900's home 2000 square foot home not insulated the best, sitting in the middle of a corn field and it keeps the house 79-81 with the door on low setting. we use window-stats to control the temp!!! it was down in the teens with 20-30 wind gust and it was still 75 in the house.

:msp_biggrin: you just became my new friend! i may pm you questions in the near future. I really dont have much info on this furnace. just got it two weeks ago for $500, my first burner. I have a 1220 sq ft ranch style with basment = 2440 sq ft im heating. House was built in 1985. Its out in the country so i do get some big winds across the fields but i also have alot of white pines to block some wind. Im all experimental right now with this stove so any tips are apreciated. what overnight burn times can you get with it?
I never use the high/low door setting. Do you always burn with it open? what are your thermo dial settings at?

Last edited:
:msp_biggrin: you just became my new friend! i may pm you questions in the near future. I really dont have much info on this furnace. just got it two weeks ago for $500, my first burner. I have a 1220 sq ft ranch style with basment = 2440 sq ft im heating. House was built in 1985. Its out in the country so i do get some big winds across the fields but i also have alot of white pines to block some wind. Im all experimental right now with this stove so any tips are apreciated. what overnight burn times can you get with it?
I never use the high/low door setting. Do you always burn with it open? what are your thermo dial settings at?

i will send you a link to an owners manual, there isnt much info out there on the stoves. i believe a hotblast 1400 is the same stove. if i stack wood like a puzzle to the middle of the door depending on outside temp (above 20 degrees) i wil get 8 hr burn time, with good dry seasoned wood. i will be happy to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge. i have had my stove 2 years, pd $400 off of CL. the only thing i have replaced is the two blower motors on the rear, mine has the draft blower on the back but i disconnected it. it works great without it. i believe my dial settings are 135-150-200. i havent messed with then in a while.....i will try to find that link!

My old Allnighter. Heats my 2000 sqft basement as well as the 2000sqft upstairs. It's 74 upstairs right now and about 10 degrees outside. Eats probably 8 cords a year doing it though.

side.jpg

fire.jpg

I will try to get some pictures of my US Stove 1557M (similar model) up in the next few days. I'd suggust a damper of the flue pipe and another cheap sheet metal damper on the 8" that dumps out into your basement. That way you can damper down and push more heat upstairs. I get all my sheet metal and stove supplies at Menards-i'm sure you got them up there.
I found that a piece of 1-1/2" PVC about 3' long helps if inserted into the shop vac hose when its time to clean out the ash pan spot. Along with a maglite, thats the only way my pan will get all the way to the back.

Keep warm and good looking stove you go there. Good deal on it too!

i will send you a link to an owners manual, there isnt much info out there on the stoves. i believe a hotblast 1400 is the same stove. if i stack wood like a puzzle to the middle of the door depending on outside temp (above 20 degrees) i wil get 8 hr burn time, with good dry seasoned wood. i will be happy to answer any questions to the best of my knowledge. i have had my stove 2 years, pd $400 off of CL. the only thing i have replaced is the two blower motors on the rear, mine has the draft blower on the back but i disconnected it. it works great without it. i believe my dial settings are 135-150-200. i havent messed with then in a while.....i will try to find that link!
great thanks alot guys! You have two blowers? Do they have two holes in the back of the unit? My furnace only has one small blower in the back centered. Best burn time ive got is 6 hours, (flue damper 3/4 closed and ash tray damper closed off) and thats down to the final hot coals. I also had to stack the burn chamber full till i couldnt see in it. but after six hours i just reloaded and it took right off.
I found out tonight it looks like i need a rope seal for the door. Should be easy fix.
I also get a periodic rattle i can hear all the way upstairs. (The blower sometimes viberates the furnace sides i think).

I also get a periodic rattle i can hear all the way upstairs. (The blower sometimes viberates the furnace sides i think).

Again, mine is a different make but similar by function. I have two 550 CFM blowers on the back bottom and i put two drops of 'all in one' lube oil in it once a year. That takes care of the squeaks that my blowers make. If you tighten the sheet metal screws in the sides, be careful to not overtighten them, or else they'll strip out. I've added several more self tappers which eliminated the rattles.

I have an Ashley 24A
it has two blowers on the back replaced them both
They are 400cfm but the new replacement this year is a 500 cfm
Also the draft blower i think is a 50 cfm i have mine hooked to a thermostat
in the house and when it gets cool it turns on the draft blower and gets it going again
I fill it at about 2200 (10PM) and there are still lots coals and the blower is still cycling on and off at 0500 (5AM)
Oh --- blower 1 kicks on at 120 deg blower 2 at 140 deg not sure what top limit is but i think 200 deg
View attachment 215243View attachment 215244

I'd suggust a damper of the flue pipe and another cheap sheet metal damper on the 8" that dumps out into your basement. That way you can damper down and push more heat upstairs.
I think im eventually going to plum the 2nd 8inch heat pipe into the ductwork thats right above it instead of having it empty into the basement. I cannot put it into the plenum end by the other one because the central air "A" coil is in the way.

Mine

I have a Firechief 700. it's installed in the attached garage and plumbed into the house's main trunk line. Works really well, only issue is she's a wood eating pig...Have a fireplace (without insert) in the main living room that we use to set the mood but not for heat. Temp reads like this 80% of the time until it hits 10 deg outside or after extended period away from house then I get her hot.

Have cut LP to less than 100 gal a year...

HD

I also have a Hotblast 1400 in my basement. Blower fans went last year so this year I installed a 2 speed furnace fan and not we are really having heat problems, too much heat. I ground the knobs off the bottom spinner damper so we can shut it right down. Wife keeps windows open.

My old Allnighter. Heats my 2000 sqft basement as well as the 2000sqft upstairs. It's 74 upstairs right now and about 10 degrees outside. Eats probably 8 cords a year doing it though.

I've got a very similar set up as this. Same stove too. Mine's the "Mid Moe" version of the All Nighter. I'm heating a little more than half of what you are though - 2240 sq. ft total. I love the stove but I don't have the blower for it.

Latest posts

Back