Let's see your tomatoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manure here is used after it "matured" meaning three months for that coming from cattle and six for horses. Never had a problem with mature manure.
Rabbit manure is the only one that can be used "as is" because it's a cold one. But I don't keep rabbits: I've eaten so many connies when I was a boy the mere mention of the name causes me nausea.

I make my own compost, but it's not only never enough but I suspect, being mostly vegetable matter, it's not that great to start with. I mostly use it for ornamentals with low fertilizer requirements now.

Not a big fan of soil replacement and given my vegetable patch is terraced it would mean a lot of back breaking work for little reward: better to improve things a bit at a time and hope I'll be able to move away from here.

sounds like a gardening challenge! but if you are on terrace, perhaps you have to very nice views to help compensate... regarding fertilizers, do you have 'feed n seed' stores there where u can get it? gardening centers? 13-13-13... of course, it is real good stuff, but not a substitute for good, friable soil... are you located near or in a large city or town?

sounds like a gardening challenge! but if you are on terrace, perhaps you have to very nice views to help compensate... regarding fertilizers, do you have 'feed n seed' stores there where u can get it? gardening centers? 13-13-13... of course, it is real good stuff, but not a substitute for good, friable soil... are you located near or in a large city or town?

I've been using for years Compo fertilizers. German stuff, they've been around for decades.
Still, as you say, they are no substitute for decent soil, and soil amendment takes years of constant work and lots and lots of manure/compost/fish offal/whatever. Soil here is pretty much a mixture of rocks and clay... that anything grows at all is nothing short of a miracle! :D
I make my own compost but, plainly put, is never enough to get around: with such poor soil continuous applications are needed and it mostly goes into hedges.

To get back to tomatoes, I think this weekend I'll start hardening them outside and I hope to plant them in a couple of weeks, if the weather stays on course and we don't get the usual mid-April temperature drop.

P4010005.JPG
P4010006.JPG

more tomato pix and exciting tomato garden stories to come...

"Real Tomato Stories of the Myway Patrol"

And here one of the dogs rampaged across the newly planted tomatoes and also took a walk over freshly seeded salad.
Not very optimistic about my prospects this year...

we have a product called 'welded wire' readily avail here. I use it to make my compost bins. etc. light weight, should easily make a simple fence if u have it avail there...

Nice plants, I like that green house you got there to. it looks to be the perfect size. Looks like it has water and electric in it to.

my tomatoes doing very well. some pix. the first one is of sweet 100's, there are 12 cherry tomatoes setting on the vine, or close to, ie flowering... plants has other groups flowering, too.
P1010014.JPG

some other tomatoes - in - progress pix:

P1010012.JPG
P1010015.JPG

all of my tomato plants have set fruit... or are about to as flowers fading into lil green dots... setting.

Looks like they are well on the way to becoming mater sandwich's! My buddy bought 4 plants down yesterday evening and set them for me, He raises his own plants every year from his best tomatoes that he keeps the seeds from, 2 of them were brandywine, he thinks the other 2 are early girls, which is good for me. He also set 3 pepper plants for me to that he got out of his green house. He sets about 80 to 90 for him self. ( He is a tomato nut ) I will be very happy if I get a ripe one by the 4th of July!

Looks like they are well on the way to becoming mater sandwich's! My buddy bought 4 plants down yesterday evening and set them for me, He raises his own plants every year from his best tomatoes that he keeps the seeds from, 2 of them were brandywine, he thinks the other 2 are early girls, which is good for me. He also set 3 pepper plants for me to that he got out of his green house. He sets about 80 to 90 for him self. ( He is a tomato nut ) I will be very happy if I get a ripe one by the 4th of July!

>He also set 3 pepper plants for me

I have some of the pepper plants have already made small green peppers. :)

Back