Let's See Your Work Bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's dirt cheap! I have almost that just in the floor of my 16x20 shed. 2X8PT 12" OC, 3/4 PT ply sheathing.. sitting on 4 4x6x20 skids.
Yeah, but I don't live in Alaska. We just went there on vacation this summer, and it's expensive up there. We went right by Palmer on our way to Anchorage. Beautiful area. Do you know any Bramantes?

Kind of embarrassed to share a picture of mine, or even this picture of half of it. But, in this final week of campaign, I will endevour to deliver the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth:

P1070735.JPG

The base is part of an old kitchen I replaced in our first house, and I moved to our current house when we moved 30 years ago. The surface (under the cardboard) is just a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood. Above the pegboard is a set of the hanging cabinets from the same kitchen. In case it isn't obvious, I do not clean up my bench when I finish a project, I clear space for new projects as necessary.

When I'm in the woods, or outside working, i work off the back of my Kubota S&S more than any place else,

standard.jpg

But using the pallet forks for a table is REALLY nice too, as it's portable and will lift my work to any height I want/need,

standard.jpg

Most of us, just use what ever we have at the time...

SR

Here's my new one:

And with the overhead lights on above:

The MS 880 I was working on gives you a scale. This bench is 104" long, 28" deep, and 37" to the work surface. The top is laminated white oak. The frame is quartersawn white oak. I made it all in my shop.
Wow, that's nicer than the furniture in my house.

The bench is solid ash, the legs are solid oak...

standard.jpg

It has no fasteners, it's own weight holds it together and it's VERY solid.

SR
I like that solid Ash top there Rob.
That's as sturdy as they get I bet.
I might pretty it up some with a stain or clear coat....But it's definitely the most solid bench I've ever seen.

Here's my new one:

And with the overhead lights on above:

The MS 880 I was working on gives you a scale. This bench is 104" long, 28" deep, and 37" to the work surface. The top is laminated white oak. The frame is quartersawn white oak. I made it all in my shop.
It is said that a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind. Does the same hold true for a clean work bench?:innocent::innocent: Nice looking bench.

View attachment 534420

Here's what it looks like from the outside. This was taken last spring, so the left wing is now almost full with 5 cords in it. The lawn tractor will eventually be inside, so more room for next year's wood on the right.
What a nice shed. . . what are you going to do to keep your wood dry? Have drop down curtains?

It is said that a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind. Does the same hold true for a clean work bench?:innocent::innocent: Nice looking bench.
I must admit that I usually have newspapers all over the top when I'm working on saws. Thanks for the comments. It took almost a year to build this. My neighbor offered me 4 grand for it, I turned him down and decided to keep it. The overhead lights are 6 CFLs with reflector panels below them. They've been running for two years without a burn out. The drawers rest on ball bearing slides. I made the handle pulls for them. The draw frames are box jointed and then separate fronts are attached.

I will likely never make another one. This is the Omega. Thanks for looking.

What a nice shed. . . what are you going to do to keep your wood dry? Have drop down curtains?
Thanks for the compliment. I really haven't had a problem with the wood getting wet from rain. I realize snow could be a problem, but we don't really get much here, and I have a row of Oak on the outside that will be there until next year to keep the rest dry. I have some heavy tarps picked out that I can hang if I need to buy them. I'm just kind of playing it by ear. Even if I do end up using them in winter, I'll take them off in spring to get maximum airflow while the wood is seasoning.

Did what I could with a small space. Garage is in my dreams

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl
Husqvarna 36

Latest posts

Back