Let's talk about a 288

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ffmech17

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im in a bit of a quandary here, I've got a 288xp sittin on the shelf that my dad had rebuilt which promptly stuck the ring. I've got it apart and looks to just need a new top end again and pressure checked. I never did run it before just snagged it cause who doesn't need another saw sitting on the shelf, so I have no comparison of it to anything other than comparing specs. Here's my quandary, I've already got a fresh 460 that's my primary along with a good running 272Xp as a back up. Being the same rated power but heavier compared to the 460 is the 288 a worth while investment to have as a 3rd big saw?

I figured I'd get a couple of those oh you don't want that headache I'll take it off your hands answers.

No I wouldn't keep the 288. It's not a very good saw at all, and nobody is ever looking for them so it's really not even worth listing in the trading post to get rid of it. There are a few guys on here who "claim" to be fans of the 288, but honestly I think they are just fake profiles set up to cause trouble. I guess I will be a decent guy and take that saw for you, MAYBE I can find someone around here that could use it as wall art.

The 288 saw is close to a 066 in power. You need to find the air leak and fix the saw. It may be your new primary saw if you use the 460 all the time. Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 288 saw is close to a 066 in power. You need to find the air leak and fix the saw. It may be your new primary saw if you use the 460 all the time. Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering if there was a comparison here. I found an old thread last night talking about using a 66 piston in it.

I can give you a comparison between a 288 and a 461. My 461 has a dp muffler and the 288 I have has just a smidge more torque than the 461, only noticeable when I have the 32" bar burried. The 461 is lighter and uses less fuel. I keep a 28" on it and the 288 only comes out on the bigger stuff, but it's real close power wise.

Never fueled, never oiled, never had a bar mounted.
I got the orig chain, orig bar (and the bar cardboard scabbord is old design), orig paperwork, tool kit, and saw

What did it sell for new? What year?

I just inquired since you mentioned that you had the original paper work (I assumed bill of sale). Wasn't trying to get in your business, needing to know what you paid. LOL

I just inquired since you mentioned that you had the original paper work (I assumed bill of sale). Wasn't trying to get in your business, needing to know what you paid. LOL
ah... I got the orig owners manual.. not the bill of sale.

The 288xp is an awesome saw, with the right chain it will mince up big wood with a big bag full of attitude, I actually like limbing with it right up until my feet leave the floor, it is a one saw firewood plan all on its own

Back