Let's talk VT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Come on boys, it's time to share your secrets, with pics!

Show your VT setup, and if you're feeling real generous lets hear hitch length, fave pulley, wraps/trusses and cord type.

What's the secret to get the least setback?

I'm still mucking around but I'm liking the XT variant, 4 wraps, 3 trusses with one X just after the wraps. 30" 8mm Beeline I2I on poison ivy, spliced eye, hitchclimber pulley and only one beener, in the bottom hole. The XT seems more predictable to me than the VT, and there doesn't seem to be any penalty.

I'm liking this setup, it's smooth and predictable, but I'm getting about 3" setback. That's a lot more than my older klemheist setup. How can I reduce it? Shorter hitch cord?

I've got the whole shebang on a leash, which leaves it out where my klemheist used to be from my harness. I tried clipping it straight to my bridge but I like being able to reach up and pull down. Anyone else using a leash? Mine is about 18" on a treemotion saddle.

Shaun

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I run the VT with 5 wraps and 3 braids, completely open system - both beaners attach to my rope bridge separately. 3/8" beeline e2e on the new samson vortex. I find no matter what combination of rope/e2e you use as long as you test it "Low and Slow" between 3 - 5 wraps is all you'll need, and braid the remainder as many times as you possibly can. Been climbing on the VT since I started out of the tree climbers companion. I have since been to school where the VT was not allowed, forced into either a distel or schwabish. Switched back immediately - the VT collapses perfectly when tending slack and holds and runs just the way I want it to when working the tree - only friction hitch I'll climb on now.

I don't have my belt home with me today and I don't off hand know the length of my bee line 10mm prussic but its shorter than most. I barely get 3 wraps and 3 twists and they're kind of tight. I hook my prussic on the bottom hole of the hitch climber pulley. The end of my climbing line is hooked to the middle hole. I use that set up on 11mm blaze and 11.7 Lava, and have no set back at all.
I tryed a longer prussic and had more "set back" then I felt comfortable with.
It my favorite set up, but I'm thinking real serious about switching to the Zig zag for double rope.
I like to climb using both SRT and double rope at the same time, switching as needed or using both at the same time. Love the Vt.

I will have to try the leash I gave up on my beeline and VT and went back to the long split tail with a blakes because I have a long throw and it set were I put it. I used my beeline and pully to make a one hand adjustable lanyard but it still gets about 3-4" set back, I don't mind left hand tending the blakes hitch since it is up where I am used to pulling to assend, What do you use to extended it up (leash) another eye to eye beeline?
Paul

I started with a petzl jane, they're so nicely made and dont cost that much. Unfortunately the shortest one you can get is 24", and it's way too long. The ideal length seems somewhere around 16-18", depending on your hitch and the length of your arms, as well as the harness you use. I ended up using part of an old CE lanyard, which has a sewn eye. It had a few nicks, but I salvaged a good length out of it, with the eye. I put a tripple fishermans in the other end. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Putting the VT on a leash makes it function very much like any other conventional hitch for ascending purposes, and I think a lot more guys would take to the VT if they had a go at it on a leash. I just never coupld get the hang of the thing when it was clipped to my harness, felt so weird. Out on a leash it's just like any hitch, only way smoother, and very controllable. A lot more finesse, even for a fat bastard like me.

Shaun

Back