Library of Congress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They have a lot of great pictures! These are from Oregon.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/ (Try a search on BIG TREE)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hal

Last edited:
One panoramic logging image I like over there is the following link, because it shows a lot going on, including all the brush and rubble in the work zone.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/pan.6a01434/

One difference with the L of C vs. other historic collections, may lie in the copyright. Some collections are mostly government works, like the Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service.

But like that one pano, there is a personal copyright on it. Old 1915 - may be expired. Not sure how many times one could renew, but at least once so it seems.

WORKS ORIGINALLY COPYRIGHTED ON OR AFTER JANUARY 1, 1978.–A work that is created (fixed in tangible form for the first time) on or after January 1, 1978, is automatically protected from the moment of its creation. It is ordinarily given a term enduring for the author’s life, plus an additional 50 years after the author’s death. In the case of a joint work prepared by two or more authors that did not work for hire, the term lasts for 50 years after the last surviving author’s death. For works made for hire and for anonymous and pseudonymous (fictitious name) works (unless the author's identity is revealed in Copyright Office records), the duration of copyright is 75 years from publication or 100 years from creation, whichever is shorter. Works that were created before the 1978 law came into effect, but were neither published nor registered for copyright before January 1, 1978, have been automatically brought under the statute and are now provided federal copyright protection. The duration of copyright for these works is generally computed in the same way as for new works: the life plus 50 and the 75 or 100 year terms apply to them as well. However, all works in this category are guaranteed at least 25 years of statutory protection.

WORKS COPYRIGHTED BEFORE JANUARY 1, 1978.–Under the law in effect before 1978, copyright was secured either on the date a work was published or on the date of registration if the work was registered in unpublished form. In either case, the copyright endured for a first term of 28 years from the date it was secured. During the last (28th) year of the first term, the copyright was eligible for renewal. The new copyright law has extended the renewal term from 28 to 47 years for copyrights that were still in existence on January 1, 1978.

Last edited:
This post panned-out fairly good.

I found close to 10 very wide panoramic redwood logging or mill town photos there that were available for use, and put them all together on a page for viewing.

They were the first really old historic images I'd ever seen or noticed where a wide angle lens was used. I may have to send a PM to Beranek, because he may know a tad about what lenses were available then. I may call the local camera shop too, because I"m curious.

There is curved distortion is a couple of the panoramas that is very much like a fisheye lens effect.

166510d1293814040-historic_thmb_albion_redwood_1911-jpg

View attachment 166510

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back