lift gate question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Bought a used lift gate. I have a 2009 f250, when I get installed so I need to put heavier leaf springs under the truck?? Thankyou.

Look at Trimbren bushings. Do not have to worry about air lines. Look at the front of Chevy trucks factory set up for plow (easy to see). Have a set on rear of GMC 2500hd and they work great.

It's a Tommy lift gate. Tha.ks for the reply. So should I get one of those options before or after install.

It's a Tommy lift gate. Tha.ks for the reply. So should I get one of those options before or after install.
The G2 gates are lighter as they use aluminum rather than steel..is that what you got?

Why do ya think you need to add helpers/bags or jounce bumpers? A lift gate uses up some of you're hauling capacity but I'd think a 3/4 ton truck could handle the weight on a daily basis without much problem..I bet it makes it ride better.

It's a slippery slope when recommending huge spring packs and 5K lbs. air bag kits for light duty trucks...just because you can keep the tires out of the fenders with aftermarket suspension parts it doesn't mean your truck can safely haul or stop a big load.

I'm just thinking that if he's putting on a lift gate he most likely will be lifting something heavy and putting it in the truck on a daily basis. I could be wrong.

I'd put the gate on and measure the sag before and after the install and go from there. I know those f250s have that second spring that doesn't engage until enough weight is in the back.

I'm just thinking that if he's putting on a lift gate he most likely will be lifting something heavy and putting it in the truck on a daily basis. I could be wrong.

I'd put the gate on and measure the sag before and after the install and go from there. I know those f250s have that second spring that doesn't engage until enough weight is in the back.
I'm sure your thinking is right but i was wondering if he was worried about the weight of the lift gate its self hanging off the back of the truck all the time.

I'm sure your thinking is right but i was wondering if he was worried about the weight of the lift gate its self hanging off the back of the truck all the time.

O I wouldn't worry about that on a 3/4 ton truck. But that weight plus whatever is being put in the back might be to much on a regular basis. I guess it depends what you haul.

Some of those truck caps with the side compartments all loaded up with tools and such probably weigh pretty close to 500lbs and most people don't add springs for that.

Truck used for firewood hauling. The lift had 1500 pound capacity. Thanks for replys.

Back