Lift that log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea... this is one of those "hey why didn't I think of that" things. I use a floor jack to get my logs onto horses, but as you say, there are limitations on how high they lift at a time, so I built some extensions to fit on the jack that will lift the log high enough. I still usually have to do it in several stages temporarily blocking as I get higher. I solve the problem of getting the log high enough to get the jack under initially by rolling it onto a contraption I designed that get it 5 inches off the ground using the cant hook. For very large logs I dig a small hole under the end of the log to get the jack under. However, I like your method better, if only because it gets the log way higher in one shot.

Lots of good ideas on this forum. What I need is a welder... and then need to learn how to use it!!

i've used one of the old bumper jacks with a chain [the hook that fits into the slot of the bumper acommodates a small link chain] to lift the end of a log. once used two of them to load a pallet of stickered lumber. most often used them when loading with ramps and the log slips.

Cool

That adapter for the hi lift jack is pretty nifty. I will have one this weekend. Thanks for the great idea.

Which model Hi-jack?

Which model of Hi-jack do you guys recommend?

I've never heard of Hi-jack. But, this looks like a must-have tool...or at least a should-have. Looks like the height is the major variable.

Thanks.

Which model of Hi-jack do you guys recommend?

I've never heard of Hi-jack. But, this looks like a must-have tool...or at least a should-have. Looks like the height is the major variable.

Thanks.

I would avoid the cheap chinese knock offs - this device works by steel rubbing on steel and if the steel is not reasonable quality the critical components will wear unnecessarily and that is not a good thing when you have a heavy log up in the air.

If so it is cool to see that a "Bloomfield jack" as we call em here makes it all the way down under. That factory is less that 50 miles from me..
You know you can get a longer beam for them. I called down there and talked to Dallas and he shipped me the 48 inch beam. It is more suitable for offroad rigs..
If you get stuck in a set of ruts. you jack one end or the other up high enough to clear the ruts then just push the vehicle sideways off the jack.
Always watch the handle on a Bloomfield jack.. They have knocked many a teeth out over the years.

I've always called that style jack a Wagon Jack, might be a local thing.

when I was young, we had something like that called a bumper jack. The (steel) bumper of the car had slots to accept the jack head. No crawling under the car to find a place to put a cheesy scissor jack.

Ian

when I was young, we had something like that called a bumper jack. The (steel) bumper of the car had slots to accept the jack head. No crawling under the car to find a place to put a cheesy scissor jack.

Ian

The high jack or high lift jack is the same principal but super heavy duty. I thought they were originally designed for military duty, but could be wrong. They were so veratile and practical that farmers and all kinds took a liking to them. The jacked up 4x4 guys really like them.

If the stuck in a rut push over doesn't work, you can use it as a come-a-long if you have chain. They are very handy and the originals are hard to find.

I would avoid the cheap chinese knock offs - this device works by steel rubbing on steel and if the steel is not reasonable quality the critical components will wear unnecessarily and that is not a good thing when you have a heavy log up in the air.

Actually, I have one of the cheapies from Harbor Freight. I can't tell any quality difference between the two. I think they are both made in Uncle Wongs jack factory.

The Hi Lift accessories even fit my jack. My son has the expensive one. No practical difference.....except price.

OK found the original Hi-lift compay - I was googling for "high lift" instead of "hi-lift".

They also have an ebay store and you can get parts and accessories as well. They also have a PDF copy of the user instructions/manual for those who have lost theirs or buy a used jack where the instructions on the handle are worn away.

There are "all cast" and "cast and steel plate models" up to 60" of lift. The main lifting pin is designed to shear at 7000 lbs so that's your limit - I don't know what Uncle Wong's will do - in this case it probably won't break at all and the jack will break somewhere else - hopefully not with whatever you have up in the air. At 7000lbs you should be able to lift the end of a quite big log. As others have said you can also use it as a come-along to pull logs off piles.

The all cast 48" jack retails in Australia for ~US$150 - you guys in North America pay about than half that.

BTW for those contemplating using these to lift logs, I do make sure the other end of the log can't roll using a couple of big wedges. I also build up the support under the lifted end as I go up, so if the jack tips over the log aint going too far. ie don't just hoick the log 3 ft into the air and then start building the support underneath it.

Last edited:

There are "all cast" and "cast and steel plate models" up to 60" of lift. The main lifting pin is designed to shear at 7000 lbs so that's your limit - I don't know what Uncle Wong's will do - in this case it probably won't break at all and the jack will break somewhere else - hopefully not with whatever you have up in the air. At 7000lbs you should be able to lift the end of a quite big log. As others have said you can also use it as a come-along to pull logs off piles.

My HF cheapie cost about 35.00 and I bought the Hi Lift base and a few other High Lift accessories.
I have USED it.
My Tractor weighs around 6500 pounds and It lifts it on a regular basis.
Just a note, these jacks are unstable and dangerous if you are not careful.

I have several shackles that I use with it. They can also be used as safty pins in case the pin does shear.
They are good to attach things (like the tongs) to it.

I'm not knocking the Hi Lift. It's a good jack but I am not convinced it's any better than the HF.

we have always called them a handy man jack. dad and g-dad used them to build fence, stretch fence, change tractor tires etc. I have an old one with a wooden handle that was painted a very dark green. My newer one is Red, not sure when or why the color change. Very valuable tool, always in my truckbox.

C.B.

Last edited:
HiLift jack

As Clearance, Corsair4360m and Ericjeeper said, have a deep respect for a HiLift jack. They are incredibly handy thus one tends to do the difficult or near impossible with them. Especially watch the handle, never let go of it unless it is all the way up. If the ratchet slips with the handle up the handle stays up. If the rachet slips with the handle down even a little the handle goes up with great speed and force. Actually they are like a chain saw, handy but worthy of respect. I highly recommend both.

The high jack or high lift jack is the same principal but super heavy duty. I thought they were originally designed for military duty, but could be wrong. They were so veratile and practical that farmers and all kinds took a liking to them. The jacked up 4x4 guys really like them.

If the stuck in a rut push over doesn't work, you can use it as a come-a-long if you have chain. They are very handy and the originals are hard to find.

A few months ago I was in the milling yard packing up to go home and everyone had gone.

Go to start my diesel van - flat battery - left lights on.

Looking around the yard I see I am ~60 ft away from a locked truck - I figure if I can get the van to the truck I can use my jump leads to start the van.

Unfortunately pushing the van was not an option because it was parked in patch of sawdust and woodchips about 10 ft away from a hard limestone roadway.

Enter HiLift, attach serious lengths of aborist rope to the van and truck and put the HiLift in between - took some time to clear the sawdust patch but otherwise it was dead easy.

Once on the road I was able to push the van over to the truck and 10 minutes later I was away.

I use an engine hoist that I bought from Autozone for about $200

But Rik - most of BobL's tools are designed to be able to be packed into the log. Packing that engine hoist across a beach, or thru timber would be a royal pain.

One of the advantages of CSM is portability.

I would prefer an overhead gantry, but they are not very portable.

But Rik - most of BobL's tools are designed to be able to be packed into the log. Packing that engine hoist across a beach, or thru timber would be a royal pain.
One of the advantages of CSM is portability.
I would prefer an overhead gantry, but they are not very portable.

Yeah I looked at engine hoists but even a basic 1 ton gantry weighs around 200 lbs. A hi-lift jack weighs about 30 lbs and can lift over 3 tons.

Also a wheeled gantry also needs a firm even surface to work on.

Last edited:
Here small something I whipped up a couple of weeks back to lift logs and only got a chance to try it out today. I usually use a smaller forklift loader to place the logs on some blocks to get them off the ground and on a bit of a slope. After milling a couple of slabs I like to lift one or both ends of the log further. I could use the loader but often it is being used for something else, and besides I wanted something mobile that I could take with me up bush. I have used a conventional hydraulic car jack but you have to get the logs a reasonable way above the ground first and they generally have a limited range of lift.

The "thing" is an adapter that loosely bolts onto the lifting claw of a hi-lift jack and goes underneath the end of a log allowing it to be lifted while addition blocks are added.

attachment.php

The adapter is made from a couple of scraps of 1/4" angle iron welded into a box shape together with two main main cross pieces. The two short side pieces can be adjusted using wingnuts along the length of the cross pieces to suit the log diameter.

attachment.php

The adapter slides onto the main jack claw and if required can be held in place by a bolt, or the adapter can be screwed onto the end of a log.

attachment.php

This shows the typical milling angle and extent of lift I like to used. It looks a little silly on this little log but it should be able to lift one end of a 30" hardwood without any trouble.

attachment.php

I only milled this short boxtree today as I was sorting out and stacking stuff into the Seatainer. After the second slab I noticed that a couple of the cutters had been badly dulled and I thought I must have hit something but couldn't see anthing till I squirted water onto the first slab and found a 4" nail that the chain had cut right through. It's strange that it didn't really affect the cutting speed that much so I finished the log with the dull chain.

Thats Slick I need one!

Latest posts

Back